Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > The XMS Repair and Modification Manual > XMOD Body Tutorials > XMOD Paint Tutorials
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2007, 07:14 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)
Default How to lay out a quality camoflauge paintjob

hello every one this is my first how to that i have ever submitted so dont get mad if i leave some thing out.

Supplies:
1.Xmods body of any sort or any car body
2. Xacto hobby knife (i used a swis army knife)
3.Masking tape
4.Krylon camouflage edition spray paint(best results for camo)
5.Card board
6.Latex Gloves(optional)
7.Patients(recomended)
8. Paper towel (or any stensil type material)

STEP 1

Lets start by dissasembleing the body and all the parts you want to be painted.

STEP 2

Mask all the peices that you don't want to be painted like the headlights, tail lights, windows, ect....

STEP 3

Put the body of the car on the card board and give the body a nice 1st coat of primer which is flat paint. (can be any of the krylon series since they are all flat paint.)

STEP 4
Let the car dry for about one hour so the paint could harden(Car can be touched after 20 minutes but the paint is not very hard and might smudge or affect results.)

STEP 5

Here comes the tricky part you need to have your stencil ready to be used now. You put your stencil over the part you want painted and you spray. some perople use masking tape as their stencil so they have a nice even painting but i personally do not reccomend it (i have tried and it comes out pretty bad.).

repeat as many times necessary to create the design of your liking.

STEP 6

Wait until all the paint is dry and make all touch ups needed.

STEP 7

Reassemble your nicely painted car and there you have a very nice looking camouflaged car.

(I will post a picture of the final product soon the hood and rear bumper did not come out like i wanted to so i have to redo it.)

ENJOY

Jon

signature wont let me list all of my cars!!!!!!! not fair moderator needed plz help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustanglover View Post
lol crawling with 1 wheel drive that would be funny
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
Its not realistic that these go about 280mph at scale speed either.
Custom Corvette Club: 1/3 Founder
Team ACCENTS Member
Proud member of Crawling Truck Club(CTC) The fist and only!
Old 04-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (13)
Send a message via AIM to coolcar24th Send a message via MSN to coolcar24th

Dont you have to sand it down before painting?
Old 04-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcar24th View Post
Dont you have to sand it down before painting?
You can, but no it is not needed you just need a basic primer coat and you are set.

signature wont let me list all of my cars!!!!!!! not fair moderator needed plz help

Quote:
Quote:
Team ACCENTS Member
Old 04-07-2007, 07:42 PM
All 6's and 7's

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via MSN to bondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmagik View Post
You can, but no it is not needed you just need a basic primer coat and you are set.
and then you can actually watch the paint jump from the body at the first sign of a crash.

you need to scuff the surface with at least 600g sandpaper for proper adhesion.
if you would have sanded the body before you painted you wouldnt have had those ugly "fisheyes" on the hood.

overall, it's a decent tut but you need to remove the lenses and ALL other body peices. paint everything seperate to ensure proper coverage in the creases and seams.
if you dont remove the lenses then most likely you will get paint creeping under the lenses and the only way to fix it is to remove the lenses. seems easier to just do it in the first place.

paper towels are never a good thing to use as stencil. way too many contaminants.

cheers,
bondo
Old 04-07-2007, 07:44 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmagik View Post
will it make a difference if you do or dont sand edit: bondo ansered it

Last edited by 4banger; 04-07-2007 at 07:47 PM..
Old 04-07-2007, 07:49 PM
Elite member

Umm bondo for painting camo its not bad to use paper towels for other projects it is bad i used them for a long time and i have painted many airsoft riles and pistols with paper towel stencils and they came out as good as a camo painted gun should get. yes i stupidly forgot to remove the lenses.

PAINTING camo is the only painting that does not need sanding the reason that fish eyes appeared on my hood was bcause i was painting in the cold >30 degrees weather.

Quote:
Quote:
Team ACCENTS Member
Old 04-07-2007, 08:00 PM
Elite member

this is a great tut and i have that same knife but in green.

Hummer: all rs upgrades, 6cell and custom superswampers(off roader)
G35: currently being repaired(dead)
Mustang: all rs upgrades,blue gpm knuckles, 39 turn motor (circuit/top speed)
Scion TC: all rs upgrades, drift kit and 6 cell (drifter)
blue F-150 body (offroad bodykit)
G35 body top targa top and some custom bodywork
Old 04-07-2007, 08:01 PM
US Air Force

Trader Rating: (9)

it looks like a chocolate cow
Old 04-07-2007, 08:54 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (13)
Send a message via AIM to coolcar24th Send a message via MSN to coolcar24th

I agree with bondo, I have painted cars befor where I did not sand it and the paint became all runny and did not stick well. You should also remove the head and tailights like Bondo said.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcar24th View Post
I agree with bondo, I have painted cars befor where I did not sand it and the paint became all runny and did not stick well. You should also remove the head and tailights like Bondo said.

I should have removed the head and tail lights but i completely forgot to.

Quote:
Quote:
Team ACCENTS Member
Old 04-08-2007, 04:52 AM
All 6's and 7's

i wasnt going to go on a rant about this but just to state my position, paper towels are bad all the way around.
i wont even use them to clean my brushes simply because of the lint content.
your stencil material should be a solid, non porous,lint free material.
it should also )preferrably) be self adhering. you can see a few places on your black where the paper towel lifted the paint. this is most likely from the mask moving when you were spraying????

camo paint or not, it's always best to tooth the surface with at least 600g before your primer/basecoat.
it has nothing to do with the type/style of painting you intend on doing.
it's all about acheiving the maximum ammount of paint to surface grip as possible without leaving visible gouges/scratches.
and on that note:
enamel paint doesnt fisheye from temperature, it cracks and crazes.
fish eyes are caused from a lack of adhesion either due to non porous surface or oily residues often left by fingers.
with nothing for the paint to grip to, it pools back onto itself.

it's obvious that you did'nt "forget" about the lenses as you masked them.
people generally like to take the easy route and in doing so end up with a less then satisfactory paint job.
the most important thing to remember when painting is TAKE YOUR TIME.
i can knock out a single color paintjob in about 4 hours total time but it doesnt look as great as the ones that take 2 weeks.
when i accept a car for a repaint the client knows that it's going to be a good while before i send their cars back. i want their cars to be top notch and im not going to compromise time for an unsatisfactory paintjob.

as far as the camo goes, you need at least one other color on there for it to appear realistic.
double color camo's are fine as long as the colors mimic something.(desert storm trucks were 2 colors, tan and brown but they were mimicking sand)
with the colors you have,the only thing you would blend in with is a herd of cows.

now before you get deffensive and take my words the wrong way, you can rest assured that i've taken flack in almost all of my tutorials.
it's just the nature of the beast. everyone has their own way of doing things and an open platform to express these.i'm simply voicing mine.
the way it stands, this is a good tut for the basics of how camo should look and your methods are very clear with detailed pics but chances are, it wont be stickied.
here's why,
1. there's no finished product.
2. your process is flawed and the mods are looking for the best tuts for stickies.
3. it looks cheap and unrealistic.

take a look at XMODifications latest camo's.
he even stated himself that he's not a painter(could've fooled me) but he pulled off two of the best looking camo jobs ive seen with minimal cost.
he used multiple colors and made it look real.

soapbox mode off,
bondo
Old 04-08-2007, 10:01 AM
US Air Force

Trader Rating: (9)

well just to let you know they make a camoflauge spray paint at my lowes in florida!
later-mustanglover
Old 04-08-2007, 10:55 AM
is here

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to Stampedekid Send a message via MSN to Stampedekid
Smile

Quote:
it looks like a chocolate cow
i agree with you, it does look like a chocolate cow, or atleast the colors do.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (2)

now bondo ..
you seem to be taking way to much effort out on trying to correct this guys work when you could be using that effort out on painting you own cars that would be up to you "painting king"statious or so you think and just leave this guy alone i do a gree he made some mistakes all new painters would, they proubly didnt think you could put the light back in seeing that you half to break the melted plastic that holds them in...i have painted cars too for friends not a big deal if you want pic's to dish on my stuff e-mail me at [email protected]
ill show you mine.
and im sorry you into making outher peolples work seem bad
Old 04-08-2007, 11:33 AM
All 6's and 7's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaxxn3 View Post
i have painted cars too for friends not a big deal if you want pic's to dish on my stuff e-mail me at [email protected]
ill show you mine.
dont much care...................

funny, i thought it would have been darkmajik that got deffensive.
im not trying to make this tutorial sound bad but thats as nice as i can be about it.
as far as tutorials go, this one is put together well but the steps to acheive quality results are lacking.

my POV is only offered to let other members know what not to do.
if i was a noob to painting and i followed this tut, you can rest assured that i'd be kind of ticked if i spent all that time to paint my car/truck in this manor only to have a bunch of crap in my paint from the paper towels or if the paint fell off the body.
and anybody that reads any of the paint tuts on this site would already know to remove the lenses.
it has nothing to do with "paint king" status. it's more along the lines of wanting the members to know the difference between the right way and the half assed way.

kinda funny though how you use your first post to knock someone who actually knows what the hell they are talking about.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:53 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo View Post
as far as the camo goes, you need at least one other color on there for it to appear realistic.
double color camo's are fine as long as the colors mimic something.(desert storm trucks were 2 colors, tan and brown but they were mimicking sand)
with the colors you have,the only thing you would blend in with is a herd of cows.

now before you get deffensive and take my words the wrong way, you can rest assured that i've taken flack in almost all of my tutorials.
it's just the nature of the beast. everyone has their own way of doing things and an open platform to express these.i'm simply voicing mine.
the way it stands, this is a good tut for the basics of how camo should look and your methods are very clear with detailed pics but chances are, it wont be stickied.
here's why,
1. there's no finished product.
2. your process is flawed and the mods are looking for the best tuts for stickies.
3. it looks cheap and unrealistic.

take a look at XMODifications latest camo's.
he even stated himself that he's not a painter(could've fooled me) but he pulled off two of the best looking camo jobs ive seen with minimal cost.
he used multiple colors and made it look real.

soapbox mode off,
bondo
Bondo i didnt take you words the wrong way but no offese a camo paintjob is not at all supose to look pretty and dandy it is supose to look very destracting. I happen to love and want to work with the military and i have studies many things pertaining to the military and one of those things happens to be camouflage. To me i dont care what you think it looks like as long as it will be able to take cove while using it that is what i want it to do. Just an FYI for all the people that want to make camo painted cars the military paints their own cars and do they have the best paint jobs ever no they are very uneven and do not follow a paint pattern because camo is supose to distract the eyes of their enemy not make the people stand out.

Oh bondo did you read what i wrote about my finished product guess not but i'll re type it for you because i respect your opinions and beliefs.

"(I will post a picture of the final product soon the hood and rear bumper did not come out like i wanted to so i have to redo it.)"

read the whole post dont just skip parts, bondo im not trying to single you out but read the whole thing.

Quote:
Quote:
Team ACCENTS Member
Old 04-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (2)

i wasnt trying to knock you well kinda buti think its lame that you were trying to tell every one all the flaws in the paint that some one else did it jus tnot right (to me) becouse honestly i dont like ppl dissing my paint and as darkmagik said it not susposta be pretty.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (6)

not to be offensive but i would use model`paint just`like xmodification did on his zip-zap

Old 04-08-2007, 04:37 PM
All 6's and 7's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaxxn3 View Post
i wasnt trying to knock you well kinda buti think its lame that you were trying to tell every one all the flaws in the paint that some one else did it jus tnot right (to me) becouse honestly i dont like ppl dissing my paint and as darkmagik said it not susposta be pretty.
again, i dont much care. your opinion means nil.
i have 2 trucks in my workshop right now that would shut you up real quick.

Darkmajik: i'm not coming down on you for your interest in military vehicles.
your color choices are deffinately confusing to say the least.
pretty is one thing and proper is another.
if you want the rough feathered look then there are other ways to go about it that dont include half a paper towel in your paint.
for instance, you could freehand with an airbrush and use proper colors.
or you could use a more solid masking material such as notebook paper or the like.

being an avid military person, i'm sure your aware that no military force has used antique white and flat black as camo.
that seems like it would only work in either a feild of cows or a meseum of ming vases.
again, look at XMODifications F-150 yes it's pretty but it would also dissappear according to a few members.
the lines are sharp and clean but yet it still has the camo properties.

i did read your entire post, and like i said. it's a decent tut but it's still not finished.
your hood is jacked because you didnt sand as i specified above.
your bumper is jacked for unknown reasons because you didnt get a shot if it aswell.

now, i've called you on all accounts and you have yet to prove any of my points wrong.

i'm sorry if i seem like a dick but i tried being nice about this and you kept pushing.
if you really feel like argueing the facts then bring it to pm and i will show you my darker side.........

i dont much care if you thin imma dick butyou need to be aware that im pretty well versed in paint and i know the goings on of most paint compositions.

no more cheers,
Old 04-08-2007, 05:03 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (12)

Google camo...that brown is way to dark needs to be more tan, unless you add a third color.

Bondo it one of the best painters out there, he wasn't disrespecting anything he's offering advice from the experience he has attained. It's constructive critiscism. He could have easily said "That paint job sucks" but instead he went out of his way to tell you what was good and bad about your tut and what you could do to make it better.

Not only that (and im NOT an expert painter) but your camo looks sloppy. Take a look at military aircraft and military clothing...now one could argue there's no set color pattern for camo and that's fine, however; there's no overspray from one color to another...there's no fading...the boundaries between the colored shapes are clean and neat, they don't fade into one another if you will.

Here's some examples:
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/f-117-camo.jpg

This is how two tone camo should look...very little contrast.
http://digilander.libero.it/lockon/i...omac_small.jpg

Notice how the shapes dont fade...they have solid very neat and organized boundaries. Now the shaped and pattern differ...but the boundaries between the colors don't bleed or fade into each other.

Lastly, your thread title is how to lay QUALITY camo paintjob...not sanding the body before hand is NOT quality...sorry...removing headlight and taillight lenses is NOT quality. We're just trying to help so my advice would be to take the advice.