Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous RC's > Misc Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2007, 01:41 PM
XMS moderator

Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via MSN to tayyab
Default custom hobby grade truck project

hi guys i have wanted to post this for a long time but my camera was messed up real bad, anyway this is going to be a big project, the chassis will be made of technic(later to sand down the round things and andd screws), ur prolly thinking "lego? thats retarted" but no its light weight, 1/10 scale, EXETREMLY soft suspension, heres's what it looks like now:

tell me what u guys think, plz not comments like "sucks, its retarted" and all that

any suggestions?
Old 10-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Forum Idiot

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via AIM to Sweed Send a message via Yahoo to Sweed

Wow, you're a genious!

Looks really good, bet it took a while, eh?

Looks good for slow off-road, but if you apply too much torque, the driveline will snap. Lego is strong plastic (we pushed it REALLY far in robotics..), but has limits..

Looks good, I though it would be lego suspension, but lego gear train as well, amazing!
"Save us, oh lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen"
Old 10-09-2007, 02:02 PM
XMS moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Wow, you're a genious!

Looks really good, bet it took a while, eh?

Looks good for slow off-road, but if you apply too much torque, the driveline will snap. Lego is strong plastic (we pushed it REALLY far in robotics..), but has limits..

Looks good, I though it would be lego suspension, but lego gear train as well, amazing!
i discovered a way of fitting the lego axels on to a 540 type motor
which equals UNLIMITED GEAR OPTIONS!!!! YIPPEE!
thanks

i told u i was going to start QUITE a few projects
Old 10-09-2007, 02:11 PM
Forum Idiot

More pictures!

Looks a bit like the front wheels point are further apart up front then in the back. I'm not sure what it's called, but it looks like it in the picture next to the F150...

Looks really good. Mind getting some pictures with wheels off? I feel like building one, would make a good trail rig. Can't build it until December-ish (Lego's in storage, moving..) but it looks like fun..

Did you get plans from somewere else, or are you just that good at building?

EDIT: You need ALOT of preload or some stiff springs. Looks good, but it's sagging. And (almost) no one likes it saggy.
EDIT2: Also, If you used two (or even three) shocks at each corner, it would help prevent the sagg.
EDIT3: You should move the drive train forward. Even if it's just a few holes, it will increase stability with pretty much whatever you're trying to do. Maybe not wheeliing, but the drivetrain won't stand up to that, so try moving it forward. Looks cooler too.

With that kinda of talent, you'll make the team. Easily.

Last edited by Sweed; 10-09-2007 at 02:16 PM..
Old 10-09-2007, 02:28 PM
XMS moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
More pictures!

Looks a bit like the front wheels point are further apart up front then in the back. I'm not sure what it's called, but it looks like it in the picture next to the F150...

Looks really good. Mind getting some pictures with wheels off? I feel like building one, would make a good trail rig. Can't build it until December-ish (Lego's in storage, moving..) but it looks like fun..

Did you get plans from somewere else, or are you just that good at building?

EDIT: You need ALOT of preload or some stiff springs. Looks good, but it's sagging. And (almost) no one likes it saggy.
EDIT2: Also, If you used two (or even three) shocks at each corner, it would help prevent the sagg.
EDIT3: You should move the drive train forward. Even if it's just a few holes, it will increase stability with pretty much whatever you're trying to do. Maybe not wheeliing, but the drivetrain won't stand up to that, so try moving it forward. Looks cooler too.

With that kinda of talent, you'll make the team. Easily.
sorry dont know what sagging means.....
well i built my first technic model when i was 6 so yeah.....i took the chassis design from somewhere else, it took me 1 and a half year to get every thing PERFECT
it was really driving me mad, like if i got the rear gearbox going, the axels would be 2 holes away
BTW if u noticed it has a wannabe gearbox with a shiftstick too but the gears actualy move, dont do anything else though...
will get more pics later....gotta slep have school tommorw.... mums yelling "TAYYAB GO TO BED OR YOU'L NEVER SEE UR XMODS AGAIN "

u want me CHANGE the place of something??!......HELL NO!, although i will try to make the gears functional, like if i put in reverse and put the truck on an inclined surface it wont go back, shouldnt be that hard.....but will take time
also check out my dogbones .....

thanks a million, have the other team members check this out, tell me what they think
Old 10-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Forum Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayyab View Post
It means the truck is so heavy, that the suspension compresses with even all wheels on the ground. Thus it 'sags'. Easy to fix, just use stiffer springs, or space the springs off (so they are compressed, but the shock isn't compressed) and it will ride higher..

Quote:
well i built my first technic model when i was 6 so yeah.....i took the chassis design from somewhere else, it took me 1 and a half year to get every thing PERFECT
Built my first when I was like 8... It was a Red Farriri car one.. Took two weeks of summer vacation... Takes a while, and if you screw it up, well, you're screwed...

Quote:
it was really driving me mad, like if i got the rear gearbox going, the axels would be 2 holes away
Since you're going 540 anyways, you could always make custom metal (brass is fairly easy to cut, and solders well) extensions for the driveshaft. But then you mess up two axels everytime you glue it...

Quote:
BTW if u noticed it has a wannabe gearbox with a shiftstick too but the gears actualy move, dont do anything else though...
I noticed that, pretty cool...

Quote:
will get more pics later....gotta slep have school tommorw.... mums yelling "TAYYAB GO TO BED OR YOU'L NEVER SEE UR XMODS AGAIN "
Hm... I went to sleep like 10.30pm last night, woke up at 5.00am.. Had a Red Bull during math, and now I have a drink called "No Name" that is like drinking 3.5 Red Bulls, but less liquid. Burns your throat though. (One Red Bull is ~80mg of Caffine, a can of Coca-Cola is ~30mg of Caffine.)

Quote:
u want me CHANGE the place of something??!......HELL NO!, although i will try to make the gears functional, like if i put in reverse and put the truck on an inclined surface it wont go back, shouldnt be that hard.....but will take time
also check out my dogbones .....
Like I said above, custom shaft extensions....

You don't need functional gears, just a good gearing, the motor can reverse and forward for you. Simplifies things... Look into Lego Robots, there's alot with drivetrains you can do...

Oh, and the dogbones looks good. Not much else you can do, but they look like they'll hold...

No problem. We'll see how this project goes. If you finish it good, you're on the team, no questions asked.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:41 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

Depending on what motor you install, your drivetrains going to snap...and quickly. See if you can incorporate some highquality plastic gears in there. (Like ones off of a 1:10) The gears (from what I've seen from FLL (First Lego League) will snap/crack/chip really easily. And those were with 130size motors, not 540/550size.

I like the idea. Very creative. A+ for that.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:41 PM
is here

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to Stampedekid Send a message via MSN to Stampedekid

wow, very creative. i would have never thought to try it
Old 10-10-2007, 08:14 AM
XMS moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
Depending on what motor you install, your drivetrains going to snap...and quickly. See if you can incorporate some highquality plastic gears in there. (Like ones off of a 1:10) The gears (from what I've seen from FLL (First Lego League) will snap/crack/chip really easily. And those were with 130size motors, not 540/550size.

I like the idea. Very creative. A+ for that.
really? i guess i will have to look for a better solution.......off a 1:10? sorry only have 3, and all working condition. when i go to my HS will see what i can get.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmodracer1 View Post
wow, very creative. i would have never thought to try it
thanks

i dont think i will have an update for a week or two now.....im going to lahore(city near where i live, 4 and a half hr drive) for EID(islamic festival)
will get some more $ and go to hobby store, hopfully i am can find better quality drivetrain.......also i am going to pick up a a body, hobby remote, sevro, motors etc. after that i will have some progress, not before
im thinking of going nitro gas.......but its hell expensive and i dont know much about them, i only have one, FW-05T chassis, i think i'll save it for my next project
Old 10-10-2007, 09:34 AM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

Quote:
really? i guess i will have to look for a better solution.......off a 1:10? sorry only have 3, and all working condition. when i go to my HS will see what i can get.......
Geared and ran properly you won't have a problem. But, since your new to the whole crawling thing with larger scales (I'm assuming) you're going to still mash the throttle and hope for the best. This will add a lot of strain onto the drivetrain and more than likely break it all.

Your best bet would be to go with high turned motor (540/550) with high turns. (45-55T). This would create the most amount of torque, but also have the lowest amount of speed. If you geared everything properly you would be able to use something lower (27T +/-) and still get the same effect. But, that would take a lot of engeneering to get all of the gears to mesh and fit properly.

At your LHS ask them for pinion and spur gears and see what they have tooth wise. See the measurements of those items (heck, measure the ones off of your 1:10th you already have) and see what you can fabricate in there. With the Lego Technics pieces being so small that might not be easy to do. So you may just have to stick with the Lego Technics.

This arises the same problem, the gears are going to break, I can guarentee that. They're not strong, high quality plastic. They're made for low stress, low speed applications. Not a 1:10th crawler.

Anyway, good luck, I talk to much. Hope to see the best for ya'!
Old 10-10-2007, 09:55 AM
XMS moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
Geared and ran properly you won't have a problem. But, since your new to the whole crawling thing with larger scales (I'm assuming) you're going to still mash the throttle and hope for the best. This will add a lot of strain onto the drivetrain and more than likely break it all.

Your best bet would be to go with high turned motor (540/550) with high turns. (45-55T). This would create the most amount of torque, but also have the lowest amount of speed. If you geared everything properly you would be able to use something lower (27T +/-) and still get the same effect. But, that would take a lot of engeneering to get all of the gears to mesh and fit properly.

At your LHS ask them for pinion and spur gears and see what they have tooth wise. See the measurements of those items (heck, measure the ones off of your 1:10th you already have) and see what you can fabricate in there. With the Lego Technics pieces being so small that might not be easy to do. So you may just have to stick with the Lego Technics.

This arises the same problem, the gears are going to break, I can guarentee that. They're not strong, high quality plastic. They're made for low stress, low speed applications. Not a 1:10th crawler.

Anyway, good luck, I talk to much. Hope to see the best for ya'!
u finally noticed JK
i'll try to get a high turn motor, but it will take a hell lot of work to change the gears, no, i have 2 tamiya rc models: tamiya twin detonator and tamiya midnight pumpkin
only time can tell now.......
Old 10-20-2007, 03:25 PM
XMS moderator

well.....i went to my LHS and asked for the parts i needed, it costs as much as TWO NEW fw-05t's! i think i will have to buy a model truck, and take the elecs out of that......
anyway i did some work on the chassis, wannabe gearbox is gone, axel that goes through the chassis for AWD, like the AWD axel on an xmod, well i took it off and its gonna have 2 motors instead of one spinning the axel, that would make it less likely to break, also i'm currently looking for something to replace with the axels, these ones are too weak , i tested and they broke in 20 secs.
most probably i will have to give it a new chassis design, i mean like just have the tires and the middle part on left, no gears or anything, i got some putty while i was there, its the first time i am working with putty so i dont think it will be very easy to work with. i will use it to make custom mounts for the motors, speed control setup......
sorry if most doesnt make sense, its 12:30 at night and i didnt get much sleep last night either
i will get some pics and everything, but not before wednesday, i have spelling bee on monday, chess championship on tuesday and speech contest on wednesday......so i will be busy, sorry i took a lot of time to post here again but i've been REALLY busy!
thanks, and please feel free to comment on this project but no insults,
also any suggestions? like which body style, paint scheme etc.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:31 PM
Advance member

Send a message via AIM to live4luck14

funy tht u mention legos lol caus i just took them out after a year and i thought of doin a smaller project, but ill let u do it lol
Old 10-21-2007, 05:32 AM
XMS moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by live4luck14 View Post
funy tht u mention legos lol caus i just took them out after a year and i thought of doin a smaller project, but ill let u do it lol
lol, it doesnt matter just because i am doing one does not mean u cant do one, feel free to use this idea, but read this thread throughly as i learnt a few things aswell
Old 10-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Advance member

Send a message via AIM to live4luck14

iight dude but i think ill screw sumtin up lol, like i always do