Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 11-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)
Default Running two boards from one power supply.

Okay, so I have this idea for a project. Its going to be secret at the moment, but first I need to know if it will even work. To save weight and space, I need to run two boards from the power source, as pictured here: (Please excuse crappy MSPaint drawing...)

Both boards will not be under load at the same time. The boards will act independently, only sharing the power. What I need to know is, will each board split the voltage (I.E. both boards getting 3.6V each.) or will one board get all 7.2V while in use. Or will I have to manually switch off one board and turn on the other? What I need to be able to do is control one board, and then switch to the other one only by switching the Tx. Both boards need to be on at all times.

Sorry if this seems a little confusing... I'm trying to do something that hasn't been done before, which leads to many questions...
Old 11-29-2008, 09:14 PM
SPR

with the way you have it wired, they will both recieve the full voltage produced by the batterys.

im quite interested at where this is going... i hope its not a secret to long.

also since lithiums are so leight weight, you might be able to run 1 battery per board, still run 2 batterys and 2 boards, and still keep the weight down.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
with the way you have it wired, they will both recieve the full voltage produced by the batterys.

im quite interested at where this is going... i hope its not a secret to long.

also since lithiums are so leight weight, you might be able to run 1 battery per board, still run 2 batterys and 2 boards, and still keep the weight down.
I was thinking of using liths, but I want to keep this cheap. So with that wiring, both boards will get 7.2v while under load?
Old 11-29-2008, 09:25 PM
SPR

yes, but what batterys are you going to run to get 7.2 volts if your not going lith?

also if this is a gen 1 board, and your going to be running 7.2 volts you should be upgrading your FET's on both boards. which is going to get expensive.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
yes, but what batterys are you going to run to get 7.2 volts if your not going lith?

also if this is a gen 1 board, and your going to be running 7.2 volts you should be upgrading your FET's on both boards. which is going to get expensive.
No, both are EVO boards and I'm going to run 6 rechargables, which are 1.2v each.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:50 PM
SPR

gotcha, well good luck on what sounds like a crazy project!
Old 11-29-2008, 10:17 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

in case you wanted two opinions, yes, both boards are wired parallel to the power supply, each getting 7.2 volts, however this may affect the amount of current you're pulling out. if its possible, for this project, you might consider 4AA rechargeable (if space is not to big of an issue), although their heavier, they are able to supply more current, but if you're only running something like LED's the AAAs will work

ps check you pm's in 5 minutes...
Old 11-30-2008, 01:10 AM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoriganalRiD3R1967 View Post
in case you wanted two opinions, yes, both boards are wired parallel to the power supply, each getting 7.2 volts, however this may affect the amount of current you're pulling out. if its possible, for this project, you might consider 4AA rechargeable (if space is not to big of an issue), although their heavier, they are able to supply more current, but if you're only running something like LED's the AAAs will work

ps check you pm's in 5 minutes...
Thank you both. I actually test wired everything and it seems to work fine. Both boards are getting adequate power and everything seems to function correctly. I was thinking of using AAs, but I can't afford the size or weight. Now I just have to wait till I go to the store for supplies. I should be unveiling the project sometime next week.