Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 02-20-2009, 11:23 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (13)
Default Need to start thinking motor options..

So I've finally got a set of liths coming from XXX, already got my charger for them.

As far as electronics go, the car is bone stock. Stock board, stock motor.

I've heard of some people frying FET's with just liths? Is this really possible?

How hard are external FET's to install, like the v2.2 or whatever it is? I have basic soldering skills.

Also, what's a good motor to run with liths or does it really matter?

Not sure on what gear I will be running, right now that's also stock.. Looking for good acceleration and top speed.

What do you guys run?
Old 02-21-2009, 09:32 AM
Mini-Z Drifter

Trader Rating: (8)

When I first installed liths on Gen 1 Xmod it was pretty easy and made a huge increase in speed and acceleration. I had a hard time controlling it in the house. I used a white stage 2 motor. It didn't fry my fets or my board. The motor did get warm fast. I can't remember why, but I had to change the board out. I think I had a bad neg terminal connection and it worked it's way loose. Anyways, I couldn't repair it, so I got another. I made a set of 4 headlights and 4 taillights. When I plugged them into the ep and gave it gas, for some reason it fried the forward fet. Not sure why, but I think I had a connection crossed or something. Don't think it was the lights fault. I got another board and installed everything again. Worked out perfectly. I put my switchblade chassis on and got everything set up. Put it on the floor and let it rip. When I put it in reverse, the fets burned up. I have no idea why, but I'm guessing I had something crossed.

I'm getting my next board in the mail next week. I will be taking my time on this one and make sure I solder everything correctly. For God's sake my career field involves electronics and soldering. Would think I can deal with a little ep without any problems, lol. Just take your time and check all your solder work. Not sure what went wrong, but I really don't think it was the liths burning up my boards. When I first had them installed it was working perfectly.

About the V2 boards. They seem very easy to install. Atomic Mods has a really good tutorial for it. I'm probably gonna get one for my Gen 1 Xmod soon. Not sure if I want one for my Mini-Z AWD though. Might just go with some fets on her.

If you do liths and the V2 board, I heard it is good to use the Atomic T2 motor. The Atomic Z2 motor is good too, but read that the T2 has better higher end power. Either way, you don't want to run them too long (15 min at a time), or you might end up burning the motor up. These are kinda expensive motors on Atomic Mods, but can be found cheaper on ebay.

I don't have much experience with motors. This is just what I have read on the web. I hope this helps a little.