Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > General XMODs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 02-20-2009, 12:51 AM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (0)
Default mini-z vs xmods steering?

what is it that makes the mini-z have better steering? other than the electronics?
servo?
tie-rod/something mechanical?

jw if i can make my evo steer as good as a mini, and how...
Old 02-20-2009, 01:10 AM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)

Well the gears... I have no idea. The xmods are still not as precise as Kyosho w/ a Kyosho board. The kyosho mini-z's have a servo saver, which will allow more flexible steering. The evo series does not have this, while the gen1 xmods have a very shoddy servo saver (not a whole lot better than the evo)
Old 02-20-2009, 01:22 AM
drifter and engineer

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

the kyosho's also have a smoother steering mesh and are able to turn the tierod more.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:23 AM
Advance member

anyway to make the xmod evo comparible? or atleast better than it is stock?

does the gen1 "tight turn" trick work for evo's?
Old 02-21-2009, 01:31 AM
Working Class Hero

Trader Rating: (32)
Send a message via MSN to TripleXmodder(akaXXX)

Uhhhhh, Xmods are crap and Mini-Zs are a high quality mini RC. What makes the steering better besides electronics and servo ??? I think you answered your question. But all in all they are designed ALOT better. That's why Xmods are guiltless to chop up.

XXX FREE modding Service: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17800
PM me for a quote or any questions. HAPPY MODDING

100% Positive Itrader feedback http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/itrader.php?u=6901
Old 02-21-2009, 01:43 AM
Gen 1 junkie !

Trader Rating: (6)
Send a message via AIM to dontspamme Send a message via MSN to dontspamme

The tight turns upgrade for the Gen 1 does NOT work with any Evo series.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:44 AM
Xmod Expert

XXX has the idea right- xmod = crap
Old 02-21-2009, 01:55 AM
Working Class Hero

Trader Rating: (32)
Send a message via MSN to TripleXmodder(akaXXX)

Don't get me wrong, I love my xmods... but they are crap as far as compared to a mini-z. Their sold at Radioshack, come-on.

XXX FREE modding Service: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17800
PM me for a quote or any questions. HAPPY MODDING

100% Positive Itrader feedback http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/itrader.php?u=6901
Old 02-21-2009, 09:10 AM
Mini-Z Drifter

I agree with XXX. I love my Xmods. They started me in the mini rc scene. I've burned up some FETs and boards and broken pieces and just got frustrated. Got new pieces (rather cheap) and moved on. I'm onto my first Mini-Z. If I ever broke anything or fried the board or FETs, I would probably cry, lol. Maybe not, but I would be a lot more upset then if I broke my Xmod.

I'm not bashing on Xmods, I love them. But the quality just doesn't compare to my Mini-Z. I've already put some scratches on my Skyline GT-R's body and am very upset. I'll probably buy a new one and just leave it in the case.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:14 AM
All 6's and 7's

Send a message via MSN to bondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt456 View Post
Well the gears... I have no idea. The xmods are still not as precise as Kyosho w/ a Kyosho board. The kyosho mini-z's have a servo saver, which will allow more flexible steering. The evo series does not have this, while the gen1 xmods have a very shoddy servo saver (not a whole lot better than the evo)

GPM tie rods act as a saver on the evo's.

the main reason that mini-z turns smoother is because of the 24 point potentiometer as opposed to the 12 point pot on the Xmods.

i'm also in the same boat.
i've modded more Xmods then most will ever see but i bought a mini-z monster from another member and i havn't looked at an Xtruck since.
i built a completely GPM Xtruck for a local freind,liths,4WD,chili and an oversized spur gear.
we compared my stock(RWD) monster to this through all sorts of terrain tests.
Xmod failed. even after i broke a rear tierod and lost a screw on the front shocks,the MZM was still truckin' through everything that got the Xmod stuck.

then again, the stock radline out performed the Xtruck too.

Last edited by bondo; 02-21-2009 at 09:22 AM..
Old 02-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (4)

basically to end all mini-z vs xmods questions mini-z will win against a stock or modded xmod that have xmods elecs in it
Old 02-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Elite member

This forums funny... I had a thread asking why the mini z was so much money and it was locked.But all you guys can talk bad about the xmods and nobody says nothing about it.Plus there is a guy who races his xmod evo with the MA-010 and comes in the top 3 every time.But he has different electronics.

For your Q. the mini z is going to be better because it costs 100.00 dollars more.But for that 100 dollars more you get precision parts a true AM REC/ESC and it has better QC. But the MA-010 has alot of problems that they should not have for the price you pay. I bet if another company took the evos chassis and made precision parts and the QC was better it will kick the MA-010 a$$.All the evo needs is delrin gears and a real servo saver and it would be much smoother.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:39 PM
drifter and engineer

Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

no, the evo need a complete redesign on the servo, need a hobby class radio system (like a mini-z) and need as many points on the steering/throttle as a mini-z to be competitive. it also needs to have a more precise suspension and smoother awd drivetrain system. the mounting position is acceptable, though it would be more beneficial to place it lower in the chassis and not use a transfer gear (use different pinions and an adjustable motor mount plate to mount it because the current design is bulky and limits motor selection. the current motor cradle design has many weak spots, so using a tapped motor can instead of screwing into plastic would be more secure and be lighter. the plus is a sealed drivetrain though.

but as they are now, xmods are crap compared to mini-zs unless extensive handling enhancement is done (lots of trial and error tuning, trying different tire compounds, mini-z/iwaver board, using a lightweight and aerodynamic body that is under 30 grams because the stock xmod bodies are heavy, different offset combinations, etc.)
even then xmods have a hard time beating the mini-z
Old 02-22-2009, 09:18 AM
Xmod Expert

Send a message via AIM to torredo

too funny...
i had a similar thread awhile back and as soon as i said XMODS were crap, i was trashed on. People said not to bash XMods and even stated if i were to do this, to get off XMS perse.

lmfao!

AIM: SavageW26
Old 02-22-2009, 10:18 AM
Elite member

all i have to say is the evo is only 49.99 and it keeps up with a 150.00 MA-010.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:42 AM
XMS Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco72 View Post
all i have to say is the evo is only 49.99 and it keeps up with a 150.00 MA-010.
Where? When? How? I'd like to see this with legitimate proof.

Even the top drivers in the world which compete in HFAY don't use Xmods. They know the Kyosho MiniZs are there to perform and are capable of performing flawlessly straight out of the box. I am not saying an Xmod cannot compete without extensive amounts of modification, but at that point, you've already spend enough to purchase a MiniZ.

Take a look at the latest HFAY standings; the highest I've ever seen an Xmod was ranked #36 in the Time Trial Track #1. He ran a time of 5:56.64 with a stock Xmods Camaro (so it was a Gen1, not EVO). The fastest time with a stock MR02 was 4:12.33 with a McLaren LM.

Xmods do not even complete, or at least place, in the HFAY Series Points Standings.

Yeah, it can be done. But people just do not do it.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."

Old 02-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Elite member

Kyosho will not let any other brand race.Even if the evo was built better they will not let them race.But here is proof that a evo can keep up with the MA-010. Go to minizracer and look up jace1283 and ask for his race vids with the MA-010.Watch it and tell us which one is which.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
Where? When? How? I'd like to see this with legitimate proof.

Even the top drivers in the world which compete in HFAY don't use Xmods. They know the Kyosho MiniZs are there to perform and are capable of performing flawlessly straight out of the box. I am not saying an Xmod cannot compete without extensive amounts of modification, but at that point, you've already spend enough to purchase a MiniZ.

Take a look at the latest HFAY standings; the highest I've ever seen an Xmod was ranked #36 in the Time Trial Track #1. He ran a time of 5:56.64 with a stock Xmods Camaro (so it was a Gen1, not EVO). The fastest time with a stock MR02 was 4:12.33 with a McLaren LM.

Xmods do not even complete, or at least place, in the HFAY Series Points Standings.

Yeah, it can be done. But people just do not do it.

Last edited by bosco72; 02-22-2009 at 12:44 PM..
Old 02-22-2009, 12:45 PM
XMS Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco72 View Post
Kyosho will not let any other brand race.Even if the evo was built better they will not let them race.But here is proof that a evo can keep up with the MA-010. Go to minizracer and look up jace1283 and ask for his race vids with the MA-010.Watch it and tell us which one is which.
HFAY is not a necissarily a Kyosho sanctioned event, Bosco. HFAY is open to any 1:28th scale RC vehicle (Xmods, MiniZs and iWavers are the main three). It's main support is MiniZRacer, but it is not solely for MiniZs. Xmods and iWavers are also raced at HFAY sanctioned events. If they won't let any other brand race, how are iWavers placed in the top 50 in the Season 7 Race #1 Standings?

After a quick search on MZR, I have found no such proof or video by Jace.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."

Old 02-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Elite member

iwavers are a clone of the mini z all the parts fit.Lets see how kyosho lets iwaver race with there AWD because it's not a clone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
HFAY is not a necissarily a Kyosho sanctioned event, Bosco. HFAY is open to any 1:28th scale RC vehicle (Xmods, MiniZs and iWavers are the main three). It's main support is MiniZRacer, but it is not solely for MiniZs. Xmods and iWavers are also raced at HFAY sanctioned events. If they won't let any other brand race, how are iWavers placed in the top 50 in the Season 7 Race #1 Standings?

After a quick search on MZR, I have found no such proof or video by Jace.
if a different company took the evo chassis with the same set up but better QC and a real AM or even 2.4.It will be better then the MA-010.The MA-010 for the price has more problems then the evo. Here are some of the problems. 150.00 dollar car you have to put tons of money into it.

chassis warps after time from the heat of the motor.
knuckles break
stock chassis cracks
cvd's snap
steering locking
here is the best one...everybody made fun of evos rear suspension.But atomic copied it.They did make it better but same concept.

Last edited by DRFTKO; 02-22-2009 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: double post
Old 02-22-2009, 01:10 PM
XMS Admin

Trader Rating: (35)
Send a message via MSN to zippo855 Send a message via Yahoo to zippo855

before you go spouting off about the jace videos. read his thread at xmf , iknow its linking another forum but its the only way to show this in its entirety. opening post he states this
$206 about in upgrades, thats a lot to drop into an xmod just so it doesn't get embarrassed by a Z.
http://www.xmodsforum.co.uk/showthre...light=jace1283
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdsHPZpidQs

TEAM X.I.
my massive collection of xmods
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13526