Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Modification
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:29 PM
bringin' da freakness

Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to kookieboi
Default drift question

whats the best setup for drifting xmods (suspension and drivetrain)?
Old 04-13-2010, 11:40 PM
Light Modder

Trader Rating: (5)

I find the easiest is to run mediums in the front and stiff springs in the rear, w. AWD (no duh) and a locked front diff with a tightened rear diff.Go with DK tires, PVC tires, or Usually the tire treads from model cars are really good for drift. You could go electrical tape, but it wears out fairly quickly.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:42 AM
bringin' da freakness

thx for the info. im going to hook up my new gt-r for drifting. so i will have a show car, race car, and a drift car. all i need now is a muscle car and a truck i guess. these things ARE like a drug
Old 04-15-2010, 07:23 AM
Stage 2 member

Trader Rating: (1)

I would also add bearings to the above list. Give it some more speed after you lose some from the awd kit.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:11 PM
drifter and engineer

Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

imo, i'd say you'll want to stay away from locked front diffs. they're just bad. use a locked rear if you have to, but otherwise, just consider tightening them instead of locking them
Old 04-17-2010, 09:58 PM
Light Modder

its propably because my setup calls for more weight than normal, w/o locked diffs my car is horribly un-responsive on the track as it doesnt do too well when drifting around the bends with open diffs, imo it helps a lot, which would explain why the micro rs4 drift has front/rear spools.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:10 AM
drifter and engineer

Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

actually, no, locked diffs slow down response. really think about it in your head. the inside wheel is spinning the same rpm as the outside wheel. does it naturally want to turn? no, it wants to stay going straight. the reason why we got diffs is because it allows the inside wheels and outside wheels to spin at their appropriate speeds for the turns. the reason why it is easier locked is because it slows down the reaction time required to control the car by a large amount, but also reduces agility. but to drift and have better control, using an unlocked diff enables the car to make faster angle and attitude changes. and then that is when you have to learn to really control the car.
the unresponsiveness you perceive is because of open diffs being more finicky than locked diffs, meaning more adjustments are needed as compared to a locked diff drifter.

the micro rs4 drift is an entry level drifter built to be easy to drift, however, it is has an inferior diff setup to many of the higher end drifters that use ball diffs F/R, or a 1-way center driveshaft or pulley for handbraking effect. come to think of it, i think i'll go ahead and try to make a 1-way...hmmm...
Old 04-18-2010, 02:27 AM
Light Modder

Yea i know how a diff works, but the thing is when your drifting in low traction surfaces with slick tires to drift with when you go into a turn or drift your car will sway pushing pressure onto your outer wheels which in the case would make you inner wheels want to spin since they are getting less traction than the outer wheels wouldn't it? Well too bad they dont make LSDs this small for the EVOs other wise I am sure people would be all over them.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:29 AM
bringin' da freakness

i think that locking the rear diff would help drifting cuz with the rear wheels spinning at the same rate during a turn the inside wheel would actually end up pushing the rear of the car outwards breaking traction on the the outside wheel alot easier
Old 04-18-2010, 05:31 AM
XMS moderator

Send a message via MSN to tayyab

true, but on slippier surfaces, due to the rear end having slightly more power, the car would spin out a lot more easily

Later, T.I.M
Old 04-18-2010, 08:08 AM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to winner

i like locked diffs because it helps keep power to both sides, like when you go into a turn the inside wheel lifts off the ground a bit and spins faster

take a look at this video at .12 secs for example, because he has no locked diff the inside wheel spins and smokes but the outside wheen doesnt spin at all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5m8bXguQ-0

the same thing happens to me in xmods and unlucked rear diff cars normal go alot slower in the turns because of this

edit: this is the same suv with a locked diff just to show you the differance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlv_F2GZ2Ds&NR=1

Last edited by winner; 04-18-2010 at 08:10 AM..
Old 04-19-2010, 12:17 PM
bringin' da freakness

well due to all the feedback im pretty sure its safe to say that i need to lock my rear diff (at least) and drifter accordingly due to track conditions. thx guys for the help
Old 05-08-2010, 08:54 PM
V-Tech Yo!?

lock the rear diff and leave the front as it is. i drift a GT-R and because of the long body the setup works way better. though i still got angry at that got and bought a 370 which is my child now.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Stage 2 member

which position of battery holder is good for drifting? front, mid or rear?
Old 05-08-2010, 11:38 PM
Light Modder

Front-Less oversteer
Mid-middle setting
Rear- More oversteer

In many cases it is good to go 50/50 weight distributions when you dont know what your doing or even when you do, it lets usually you hold longer drifts and adds more response to your car as when all the weight is centered it will act as a central "pivot" point for your car when drifting which is good.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Stage 1 member

Id also suggest lowering suspension. This helps a lot.
Closed Thread