Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)
Default Subie experts needed.

Hey guys, Ive been looking around for a good, dependent, fuel efficient vehicle lately. After a bit of searching, I found a 1998 Subaru Legacy Brighton SE with a manual transmission for $1995. The car is guaranteed to pass Massachusetts inspection, and the only things I could see wrong were little cosmetic things. The door panels had been chewed on by a dog, the carpet was a little dirty, and it had a few scratches. So, is this a deal or what?

Edit: Kinda a crappy camera-phone pic, but whatever.

Last edited by AJB32690; 01-26-2010 at 06:11 PM..
Old 01-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to winner

How many miles does it have on it?

XBL Gamer Tag : Roar Pants
Old 01-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (7)
Send a message via AIM to monsterhunter

yea how many miles does it have? Subarus usually do last a really long time if you keep up the maintenance on them and dont abuse them too bad from what i hear.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Subaru Nut

Subarus will live longer than a seaturle. What is that thing on the window? looks like it hit a bird. That is a pretty good deal. See if you can talk him down alittle for the chewed damage. other wise it should be fine. Make sure that the AWD is in good working condition and that there is no knocking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
You can't fix stupid.
MY TUTORIALS
SNOW PLOW
HUMMER DROP HITCH
DULLY TIRE TUT
Old 01-26-2010, 07:17 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadV8 View Post
Subarus will live longer than a seaturle. What is that thing on the window? looks like it hit a bird. That is a pretty good deal. See if you can talk him down alittle for the chewed damage. other wise it should be fine. Make sure that the AWD is in good working condition and that there is no knocking.
Longer than a sea turtle? lol. I thought someone would ask about the window... Its a reflection of a tree. Ill haggle with the guy a little, of course. I took a very good look under the car (This is New England after all...) and everything looked to be in very good condition, hardly any rust/rot. The mileage was somewhere around 100k.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:08 PM
Subaru Nut

ahh now i see it lol. and yeah haha sea turtles live over 100. check out dirtyimpreza.com for all your questions and needs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
You can't fix stupid.
MY TUTORIALS
SNOW PLOW
HUMMER DROP HITCH
DULLY TIRE TUT
Old 01-26-2010, 08:51 PM

Send a message via MSN to THE EDJ

One thing to consider with those cars is that the head gasket's need to be replaced around every 62,000 miles. The timing belt, ilder pulleys, and tensioner should be replaced every 93,000 miles.

Make sure you can get some maintenance records to show that those things have been done. When taken care of these engines can run for a very long time.

I know you live in the states but westernsubaruclub.ca has a lot of really good info and a lot of helpful members.

My for sale thread: NEW!! Check out recent discounts and special offers!
THE EDJ'S FOR SALE THREAD

Last edited by THE EDJ; 01-26-2010 at 08:53 PM..
Old 01-26-2010, 09:46 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EDJ View Post
One thing to consider with those cars is that the head gasket's need to be replaced around every 62,000 miles. The timing belt, ilder pulleys, and tensioner should be replaced every 93,000 miles.

Make sure you can get some maintenance records to show that those things have been done. When taken care of these engines can run for a very long time.

I know you live in the states but westernsubaruclub.ca has a lot of really good info and a lot of helpful members.
Thank you, both are valid points, but I don't really think thats a deal-breaker for me. Even if it needs the work done, I would gladly do it myself, Ill just make a point of it to the dealer and try to knock a few bucks off the price tag.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:57 PM
Elite member

Looks like a great deal! Just keep up with the maintanence and it'll run forever i must say. haha! ;P
My grandfather has an oldschool Brat with over 300k miles and still running strong!
Old 01-27-2010, 09:08 PM
Elite member

Send a message via AIM to lilskipro587 Send a message via Yahoo to lilskipro587

I'd say go for it! I have a 2001 Legacy GT 5spd and I love it! Have put about 14k on it since May(did the head gaskets, timing belt, tensioner, water pump in August) and it is still running strong. I will have to get a pic once my summer wheels go back on! It is a tank in the snow have only gotten it stuck once and it is where any car would get stuck(unplowed season road/snowmobile trail hidden rut) They are great investments and can do a lot with them!
"free the heel and ski for real"

Fujica STX SLR still for sale.
Looking to build computers by order.

-Contact me on both.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:07 PM
SPR

your area may be different, but in my neck of the woods, what a rip off lol. 2 grand for a brighton? haha. $1500 bucks for a super clean shape one (kinda like that one appears it might be) or 700-1000 for a beat up one. sometimes you can find really trashy ones for about 500.

Either way, keep up the maintnence it will serve you well.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:02 AM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
your area may be different, but in my neck of the woods, what a rip off lol. 2 grand for a brighton? haha. $1500 bucks for a super clean shape one (kinda like that one appears it might be) or 700-1000 for a beat up one. sometimes you can find really trashy ones for about 500.

Either way, keep up the maintnence it will serve you well.
Over here in New England, its difficult to find older, cheap cars because most of them rot away to nothing. I had looked at a '96 Infiniti I30 earlier in the day, and the whole undercarriage was rotted, the radiator support was almost rotted all the way through! This Subaru has hardly any rust on it, Im quite surprised. It looks as though the exhaust, driveshafts, brake lines, etc are all brand new.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:10 AM
SPR

and thats my point exactly, 2 totally different worlds lol. I'd jump on! cant go wrong with a suby!
Old 01-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
and thats my point exactly, 2 totally different worlds lol. I'd jump on! cant go wrong with a suby!
Well, I believe you guys and some guys at UTI have convinced me. Now I just need to get the cash together and go pick this baby up.