Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 10-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Working Class Hero

Trader Rating: (32)
Send a message via MSN to TripleXmodder(akaXXX)
Default XXX: Building the ULTIMATE EVO.

Hey guys, Here's a quick explaination. My father got into Xmods with me for a brief moment and he stocked up alot of NIB upgrades and about 10 various Xmods, all in perfect condition and some with PN motors, liths and other various upgrades. He said he would give them all to me but he wanted one nice one in exchange. He likes to play with his Lith firebird in the livingroom....(He likes that one because he had the same REAL car with the same color when he was a teen in the late 60's.

Anyway, so In exchange im going to build him the ultimate EVO for him to play with. It will be FULL GPM (He wants purple w/ some silver highlights. I will make it AWD w/ bearings, PN Speedy07 motor w/ 2x2 FET stack. It will have purple stilletto w/ liths (heatshrinked w/ black or purple) also to top it off I will use an RV Project PCB to do the X-Z mod so he can use a prefex transmitter instead of the crappy Xmod remote.

One of my main adgendas will be to get rid of the ONLY non GPM part they don't make...The front servo/gear box. I have shot some emails to some cnc millers, and at the least I will have it painted..... I may go Flat black and add some decal or somthing to it to make it look hot. (May be hitting Bondo up for this)

The body will stay a stock 1967 Firebird (as my father likes the color) I will probably be changing some BK parts on it and will make a few decals.

I have purchased some GPM and have some bids in on ebay for others. I ordered the PCB. I have the prefex transmiter the chassis the body and the body kit on hand.

ALL in ALL, it WILL BE the ultimate Xmod EVO. ..... I will submit this for the next "Open Class COTM Comp" You should see some photos up within the next few days. .... STAY TUNED.

XXX FREE modding Service: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17800
PM me for a quote or any questions. HAPPY MODDING

100% Positive Itrader feedback http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/itrader.php?u=6901
Old 10-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to suicide_star Send a message via MSN to suicide_star

sounds like an awesome project, bro. if you're going to put that much time and money into it, why not hook it up with a Losi brushless system? i'm doing a very similar project (even with the same body) for my significant other, i hope you stay ahead of me so i can get some good ideas =)
Old 10-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicide_star View Post
sounds like an awesome project, bro. if you're going to put that much time and money into it, why not hook it up with a Losi brushless system? i'm doing a very similar project (even with the same body) for my significant other, i hope you stay ahead of me so i can get some good ideas =)
Does she know how to drive well? I'm assuming its a she.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:46 PM
Working Class Hero

I am gonna stay away from the brushless conversion for this project. I have already picked up a Losi Micro-DT brushless Xcelerion motor and ESC for a future project.... Brushless is definatly on my list though, I can't wait to see yours move along.

XXX FREE modding Service: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17800

100% Positive Itrader feedback http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/itrader.php?u=6901
Old 10-24-2009, 08:46 PM
RC CRAWLING ADDICT!

Trader Rating: (2)
Send a message via MSN to amorton94 Send a message via Skype™ to amorton94

Why does everyone think that all they can use is micro t brushless? You know they do make 120 and 130 brushless motors. Just get one of those and a 1/18 brushless esc and BAM! You have the fast xmod out there. But sounds like a great project.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorton94 View Post
Why does everyone think that all they can use is micro t brushless? You know they do make 120 and 130 brushless motors. Just get one of those and a 1/18 brushless esc and BAM! You have the fast xmod out there. But sounds like a great project.
I'm more about controlled speed. A 70 turn motor and some nice AAAs on RCP is where its at.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Xmod Expert

Send a message via AIM to suicide_star Send a message via MSN to suicide_star

haha, yeah...a SHE significant other. i just mentioned the losi micro bl system because it's a nice little package and it's relatively inexpensive. (not to mention the fact that i'm a losi fanatic)
Old 10-26-2009, 02:40 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (5)

wow sounds like a sick deal.

can't wait too see her
Old 10-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Working Class Hero

Should be sick.... Just six I have to give it to daddy. Wish she was mine.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:54 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (1)

a gpm aluminum z-mod sounds like a sweet project.
I run the speedy07 in my miniZs when I'm not racing.
I love a fast Xmod that you can actually control, can't wait to see it!

Toyota, Moving Forward. Even if you push the breaks.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:27 AM
Working Class Hero

Well here is my first update. Currently Im waiting for the parts to arrive to start the build so in the mean time I have been addressing 2 issues I wanted to cover in this build.....1st is the car will be all purple soooo I feel like the blue liths will look ugly. That being said I wanted to shrink wrap them but can't really find the perfect shrink wrap that I want. 2nd is that I will be using a Mini-Z PCB so ... you can't mount it on a stilletto like the Xmod PCB gets mounted. So I have been constructing a PCB tray / battery cover. I have already talked to a guy about milling this part from billet aluminum, but in the mean time I am taking alot of car in building it from styrene so I can use this if the aluminum falls thru... I will fill in the gaps and sand it down and have it painted purple to make the chassis.... ANYway here are some initial photos.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:51 AM
Banned

Trader Rating: (14)

Pro case. Made it yourself? Kudos.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:59 AM
Gen 1 junkie !

Trader Rating: (6)
Send a message via AIM to dontspamme Send a message via MSN to dontspamme

Holy ****, thats honestly amazing. The PCB carrying thing is amazing. It's just so clean. It hides the lithiums well, I thought they wearn't there and was going to suggest mounting the PCB near the bottom of the chassis for better handling. But I think you'll do fine the way you have it planned. It looks amazing.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:56 AM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNKevin4EvA View Post
Pro case. Made it yourself? Kudos.
Yeah, with styrene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontspamme View Post
Holy ****, thats honestly amazing. The PCB carrying thing is amazing. It's just so clean. It hides the lithiums well, I thought they wearn't there and was going to suggest mounting the PCB near the bottom of the chassis for better handling. But I think you'll do fine the way you have it planned. It looks amazing.
Thanks alot for the compliments. I am really hoping that the guy I am talking with can mill this part for me from billet aluminum for a decent price. If not this one I think will turn out ok.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Elite member

I think it look fine i styrene.
very clean, amazing work!
this is truly going to be the nicest Xmod I have ever seen.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:50 PM
Modifier

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a

Not ultimate without the ultimate radio coughtwopointfourcough
Old 10-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skv012a View Post
Not ultimate without the ultimate radio coughtwopointfourcough
I still think it's going to be "ultimate", now 2.4ghz would take this thing to a level beyond ultimate.
I think a 2x2 stacked AM miniZ board is sufficient in an xmod.
I'm still even running AM in my miniZs.............. although I wouldn't be if I could afford it.

..................anyway, this xmod is going to be the sweetest xmod I've ever seen.
I know the redline tires and rims fit the project and do look nice, another set of rims with the center groove filed down so you could use some Z tires might be a good idea just to run with.
With all that power from the lithiums and the speedy07, a set of sticky, radial Z tires would help transferring that power to the ground. maybe you could save the redlines for when it's sitting on the shelf.
It's going to be nice no matter what wheels it has, it's just a thought.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:30 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleXmodder(akaXXX) View Post
...I have already talked to a guy about milling this part from billet aluminum, but in the mean time I am taking alot of car in building it from styrene so I can use this if the aluminum falls thru... I will fill in the gaps and sand it down and have it painted purple to make the chassis....
While aluminum certainly is pretty, aren't you a little worried about the conductivity of the aluminum frying your board? Just the slightest touch at the wrong time and WHAM! there goes your board. Using styrene certainly takes a lot of the worry out of way. You also wouldn't have to make/buy standoffs, raising the board and ultimately creating less space within the shell. Plus, the box you've created out of styrene is pretty neat already and with a little personal touch (like paint?) it would really make it awesome!

Good thoughts and good work. Keep it coming!

Cheers,
Kyle.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."

Old 10-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
While aluminum certainly is pretty, aren't you a little worried about the conductivity of the aluminum frying your board? Just the slightest touch at the wrong time and WHAM! there goes your board. Using styrene certainly takes a lot of the worry out of way. You also wouldn't have to make/buy standoffs, raising the board and ultimately creating less space within the shell. Plus, the box you've created out of styrene is pretty neat already and with a little personal touch (like paint?) it would really make it awesome!

Good thoughts and good work. Keep it coming!

Cheers,
Kyle.

Good catch. Definatly wouldn't want that. I am thinking to cover the inside of the pcb tray with .05 thin styrene. I am completely prepared to keep the styrene case if need be but am hoping to get it made from aluminum.... I'll just have to keep those concerns in mind.

Skyv.. Certainly 2.4ghz would be awsome, but as this is for my dad and it already has bookoo bucks going in it he will be fine with the 27mhz prefex remote which I have extras of to give him. But certainly your correct.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via AIM to merc3des

Beautiful Casing, I tried an aluminum mount once on a crawler. Donzii hit it on the head, a screw was loose, board rotated, fried in a puff of smoke

Good luck, I like.

Mercedes Track Car v2 (50% finished) :
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18360

Comeback Supra Project (trust me tune in):
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20546