Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2009, 08:23 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to lilskipro587 Send a message via Yahoo to lilskipro587
Default Just Another Car Thread

Alright, haven't been around here in awhile but I know there are some knowledgeable car guys..
Have had my license for a little over a month now(woot!) and I am in mad need of a ride... My mom's Ford Freestyle doesn't really cut it. My parents are buying me this car because I need one for school and sports. Here are my requirements... AWD, Car, Low miles(<60-80k) and NO WAGONS. I am not a wagon fan, esp. a Subi Wagon. I am looking at an Impreza but they are just so **** hard to find at my mileage requirement(actually a good thing I guess...) I am looking at something sub 8 grand for the most part. I would really love a Passat but they are always hard to find at this mileage. If anyone could give me some help on where to look, what to look for? Anything! Just no bashing thanks:]

Lilski
"free the heel and ski for real"

Fujica STX SLR still for sale.
Looking to build computers by order.

-Contact me on both.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Subaru obviously...

Volvo has many AWD sedans. The Mitsubishi Stealth/Dodge Stealth twins came in the VR4 and RT trim levels respectively which were twin turbo and AWD. Stealths are cheaper to buy, as many rice boys don't know their the same...

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 04-10-2009, 09:30 PM
All 6's and 7's

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via MSN to bondo

if you expanded your requirements to include trucks and small SUV's you would have alot more options.

the general rule in SC is if it's under 100k miles then it's most likely going to be in the $10k range.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:53 PM

Trader Rating: (22)
Send a message via AIM to 123Vette Send a message via Yahoo to 123Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
Subaru obviously...

Volvo has many AWD sedans. The Mitsubishi Stealth/Dodge Stealth twins came in the VR4 and RT trim levels respectively which were twin turbo and AWD. Stealths are cheaper to buy, as many rice boys don't know their the same...
even tho i have a volvo and absoulutely love id steer away from them for your first car...unless your willing to spend a couple hundred to fix it when it breaks.....same thing with audi's. a girl at my school has a infiniti g20. its a nice car and i think they came in awd.

best bet if probilly a few years old lancer....and/or a galant i think those came in awd
Old 04-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Acuras were AWD too, but not any US hondas that I know about.

Audi's rock quattro, but up keep is evil. But, Audi invented the AWD stigma, so you can't go wrong with it's system.

Ford's 500/Fusion-whatever sedans also had AWD, but their boring.

If you would want a light truck, your 4x4 options just spread like AIDs

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 04-11-2009, 06:50 AM
the torqueinator

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to kendallcschm

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
Acuras were AWD too, but not any US hondas that I know about.

Audi's rock quattro, but up keep is evil. But, Audi invented the AWD stigma, so you can't go wrong with it's system.

Ford's 500/Fusion-whatever sedans also had AWD, but their boring.

If you would want a light truck, your 4x4 options just spread like AIDs
if he wants an all wheel drive sedan thats nice he could go for a taurus SHO... and those aren't boring.. they make 365HP with their turbo V6... if i was looking for 4X4 or AWD i agree with texan.... go for a small truck..

'65 Drag Mustang

mods to be made:
pro street rims
some sort of suspension upgrade (message me if you have suggestions)
soft drag slicks

Titan:

mods to be made:
CF driveshaft
composite driveshaft gears
Old 04-11-2009, 08:57 AM
MEOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

well if you get a passat here is what you can look foward to for changing drive belts and the timing belt and water pump http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16414
Old 04-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (8)

You guys are forgetting about one of the most proven AWD platforms.
AWD DSM.

Consider the 2nd generation (1995-1999) Eagle Talon TSI AWD and Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. The mileage might be hard to find but I'm sure there are some out there nicely kept with low miles.

These cars come stock with the 4g63t engine, nearly identical to the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution III engine. Stock with turbo and 210 hp. They are AWD and are proven street cars capable of making sub sub 8 second passes on the stock chassis. For the average tuner, 400 hp is easily attainable as well as 12 second range 1/4 mile times. The knowledge base for these cars is vast, with great performance resources. Some very popular sites that focus on these cars include...

www.dsmtuners.com
www.dsmtalk.com
www.dsmsource.com

Informative sites:

http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q/
www.vfaq.com

Take a look at some of these sites and you'll see what the car is capable of. They respond very well to mods and are very cheap with a huge variety of aftermarket support.

Of course, if you go to dsmtuners check out my profile (Denji).

Of course, low mileage might be harder to acheive because of their age. Saying my 96 Talon has 172,000 miles now.

Last edited by Action B; 04-11-2009 at 11:42 AM..
Old 04-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Volvo Enthusiast

Trader Rating: (18)
Send a message via Yahoo to greekone

I'd recommend a Volvo S70 AWD. You can find a low mileage one if you look hard enough. They're comfortable, classy, and SAFE cars. My only recommendation is to find one that has been well serviced and has the receipts to prove it, this way alot of the parts that tend to go wrong will have been replaced. Also, if you keep up with your maintenance well the car should last you 300K miles. My moms just turned over 200K and theres a guy on a forum I belong to that has 380K on his with the original motor and trans. Heres a quick example I found....

http://newlondon.craigslist.org/ctd/1113333220.html
Old 04-11-2009, 04:45 PM
Elite member

Thanks for all the replies!
I'm not really sure what I'll do..I really want a Subi Impreza right now haha. I have considered a mini truck but I feel like I would be tempted to lift it and such and I just shouldn't be doing that considering it's going to be a city DD. I have looked at Eclipses and equiv(Talons) and I just don't think that is what I want. So right now I think it is a matter of finding a good priced Subi. I did find an 01 Legacy sedan GT that I really like so I will inquire on that. Do we know of many things you can do to mod that car?
Thanks.

-Contact me on both.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Xmod Expert

What about a B5 A4? Audi's Quattro is UNBELIEVABLE, (half the reason i bought my car).

And if you get a B5 after 1998 they tend to look extremely nice.

I dont know about audi's in your area but i know Van city is a breeding ground for audi fanboys, and there are always some for sale. And as long as you buy from someone that maintained their car religiously (usually fairly obvious when buying a subi or audi cause their owners are very brand specific and tend to know about their cars and the upkeep side of things), you can buy a very nice car and not have problems with it for years as long as you continue to maintain it.

You cant go wrong with a Subi impreza either, before i fully decided i wanted another truck i was looking at WRX STI's, and they were defintely fun little cars to drive. And the possibilities are endless because of all the modifiers that are out there.

If your buying an Audi, subi, or a few other brands such as Porsche. Your basically buying into a lifestyle, there are many online communities and clubs related to those cars cause their owners seem to band together. Its pretty cool once you get to know some of the other owners in your area. I know i love to do the big yearly Quattro drive up to whistler in the dead of winter...
Old 04-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Elite member

My dad thinks repairs on a B5 Audi/VW would be too much so he is shying away from it. I have found multiple B5.5 Passat's with 4motion that I really like but I want to be able to mod something. I am really taking a liking to this 2001 Legacy GT I found..

-Contact me on both.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Xmod Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilskipro587 View Post
My dad thinks repairs on a B5 Audi/VW would be too much so he is shying away from it. I have found multiple B5.5 Passat's with 4motion that I really like but I want to be able to mod something. I am really taking a liking to this 2001 Legacy GT I found..
Yeah, if you dont find one that has been maintained extremely well they can cause all sorts of problems...

And even if they have been maintained, at those Km's you have to be prepared to do some repairs...

Like i said subi's have unlimited modifications, everything from performance to looks... You can create a One of a kind MONSTER!
Old 04-11-2009, 09:27 PM
MSI <3

Trader Rating: (2)

i'd honestly suggest you look into a focus hatch or sedan. only 2wd, yes, but they are very good cars. especially if you find one of the newer models. my dad's first gen kinda sucked. especially when the engine blew :P. but look into a second or third gen one, they can be very nice cars.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:47 PM
Xmod Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird999 View Post
i'd honestly suggest you look into a focus hatch or sedan. only 2wd, yes, but they are very good cars. especially if you find one of the newer models. my dad's first gen kinda sucked. especially when the engine blew :P. but look into a second or third gen one, they can be very nice cars.
Please never give advice like this again.

Focus's suck, And like even you said yourself, it doesnt have AWD, one of skipro's requirements. Besides if ford built a permanent AWD it would probably blow for the first 20 years until they figure out that they got everything wrong and fix it... (which even then sounds unlikely that they would fix it properly).
Old 04-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Ford's current AWD systems stem heavily off of Volvos. But Focuses are trash.

And FWD

Old 04-12-2009, 12:38 AM
MSI <3

Trader Rating: (2)

yes they are. but at least the seats are comfortable. except my dad's. which collapsed.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:42 AM
Monte Carlo owner!!!

Trader Rating: (9)
Send a message via AIM to snowboi1289 Send a message via Yahoo to snowboi1289

I actually like the newer Focuses, I got one rented for me to drive around for awhile, I took it on a couple trips, very nice good on gas car. I'm not sure what it had, but it was really good on gas. The hole time I used it, I only used about a half a tank, and driving at a minimum of 50 mph on highway, and 35 mph on streets.

I wouldnt recomend an Audi to any one, unless there ok with paying for repairs like every week. I have an older friend that has a Audi ( not sure what kind), a dealership is paying him over $2k to fix it, guess what, its mainly the transmission. Over $2k just for labor! Looks like he's going to be buying th drinks, lol.

If your a first driver, go ahead and get something cheap, because alot of people when they first get there drivers license (me) get into a wreck or small things that will cost alot of money like tickets and stuff. Just what ever you do, dont get something that might need work, unless you want to pay for it to get fixed or you fix it. I know how some people are, they wanna hurry and get a good car that you like, and drive it, and even mod it sometimes, I was the same way with the old Maxima. If you really want something, then wait until you find something cheaper and better looking.

I dont know crap about 4wd sedans, so I dont know what to tell you there.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:17 AM
drifter and engineer

Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

what bout trying to find an impreza 22b?
i've seen then a lot around my area.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:57 AM
Forum Idiot

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via AIM to Sweed Send a message via Yahoo to Sweed

Shame wagons are off-limits.
There's a few early 90's Honda Civic Wagons floating around, around 150K miles... Not that high, but we are talking about a Honda here...
"Save us, oh lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen"