Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ling427ttvette View Post
Well, since you are so set on getting a laptop, here's a few hints from me.

Do NOT let it run all day and night, if you're not using it shut it off. Laptop cooling systems suck compared to a desktops cooling. I burnt through 3 hard drives in my old one from running it all the time, and 1 in my new Dell. My new Dell also runs hot because it has a dual core processor though.
I have two laptops right now, and I keep both on constantly.
I've had absolutely no problems with them overheating or anything.

Quote:
Do NOT run it on top of your bed, or any cloth surface that will block the cooling system. Set it on hard surfaces only so it can get air flow underneath the laptop, you will fry it so quick if you don't do that.
Wrong again.
I run both of my laptops on my bed. When not in use, I keep my older laptop on the floor, and the newer on my top bed (bunk bed...). The older laptop has the vent on the underside, the newer one has it on the back. Neither overheat.

Quote:
I certainly still recommend a desktop, more bang for the buck but they aren't portable like a laptop. It all depends on if you need mobility or not, for college you usually do so I can understand the laptop. But even then you could just buy a cheap bare bones laptop to take to class and type notes in and assignments and whatnot, and then have a desktop rig for all of your gaming and more serious use. A barebones laptop could be had for cheap, and so can a desktop. All depends on where you look.
I agree with this though. If you don't really need portability, get a cheap(er) desktop, and for taking notes and what not in class, get something like this:
WalMart - $250-$500 Mini Laptops
Each of those would be great for notes and internet, but definitely not for gaming.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotmikal View Post
I have two laptops right now, and I keep both on constantly.
I've had absolutely no problems with them overheating or anything.

Wrong again.
I run both of my laptops on my bed. When not in use, I keep my older laptop on the floor, and the newer on my top bed (bunk bed...). The older laptop has the vent on the underside, the newer one has it on the back. Neither overheat.
Varies greatly from model to model dude. While my god parent's laptop can't stand to be on cloth and can't be on for hours on end w/out going into sleep mode occasionally, it will over heat. Their children's laptops though can run forever on any surface fine.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 11-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Elite member

Send a message via AIM to lilskipro587 Send a message via Yahoo to lilskipro587

Man haven't posted here in ages but this is an important one...
This summer my dad said he was going to buy me a laptop. I had a choice I could get a Macbook(~$1000) but it would be the last laptop he buys me for good. So unless I bought my own it would have to last me 6 years(roughly all of college though I would probably end up buying my own) I was physicked even though I would Windows I wanted to try something new. As I did more research I found that these all weren't what they were hyped up to be. So I began more research on different laptops. I found the Asus EEE's. I had followed them when they first came out but they were not worth the money then. I then found the 1000h model that had a 1.6ghz intel atom 1gb of ram and a 80gb hard drive. Perfect for what I needed one for considering I have a very good desktop computer too. This thing from Asus was tiny. 10 inch screen but along with that came a 7 hour battery life which meant I can use it all day and have no battery worries. All of this for just ~$450. It was set and this is what I have now. I use it for notes in school every day and have yet to have a complaint about it. Though it doesn't have a disk drive(i dont need one) it has 3 usb ports a web cam sd card reader and only weighs 3 pounds. Perfect for me and all I could ever see myself using.

EDIT: And it came with Windows Xp so I don't have to put up with all the vista crap.
"free the heel and ski for real"

Fujica STX SLR still for sale.
Looking to build computers by order.

-Contact me on both.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:20 PM
SPR

Quote:
My suggestion, go to Dell and apply for their credit line. If you get approved, which is HARD, you will be able to get a very nice computer for low payments a month.
getting approved there is hard?

i was barley 18, had a 35 thousand dollar truck loan in my name, which i was only approved for because i put 8 grand down, and took a pretty high interested rate because i had no credit, and no co signer, so my credit shoulda been maxed out at that point, and i hadnt even made one payment yet on it, nor not even one credit card payment from the first credit card i had just opened, so litterally had no credit, and dell pre approved me for 5 grand. My interest rate was crazy high, like 22% but with payments so low i maded tripple and quadrupple payments, and so that made the 22% not really a big deal, paid it off in about a year, and didnt pay to much to interest. Dell seems quite easy to get approve for if you ask me.
I mean they made that so broke college kids with no credit and massive school loans could get a computer.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:38 PM
MSI <3

Trader Rating: (2)

some of you are forgetting that i don't have a job. the reason it must be less that $400 is because that's all i'll have after christmas, and anything over $250 is dipping into my first car fund.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:43 PM
SPR

how you going to make it threw college, buy a car, pay for the expenses of a car that cost more than teh car its self, support your self, and make it threw life with out a job?

Part time job buddy! mcdonals! you gotta pay the bills somehow!
Old 11-09-2008, 09:50 PM
MSI <3

Trader Rating: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
Part time job buddy!
child labor laws buddy! i'm 13. i would give anything to be able to work this summer, i want moneys...
Old 11-09-2008, 09:56 PM
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird999 View Post
child labor laws buddy! i'm 13. i would give anything to be able to work this summer, i want moneys...

your 13 and worried about college and a car already!?! man bud slow down, dont be in such a rush to grow up lol. enjoy your teenage years. Blow that money on some RC cars and have a blast. in 3 years when your ready for a car, then start worrying about saving, selling some stuff, and saving some more. and then in 3 more years after that when your actually ready for college, start applying for financial aid, checking out laptops, get a good steady part time job.

buy a laptop now is a waste, its going to be dead before you ever get close to college, even if its not, its going to be so old, it wont be able to handle the college work load. If you buy a 250-400 dollar lap top now, its not even going to make it into your sophomore year of high school. Take a chill pill and relax man, have fun while you can. believe me this is the time of your life you sould be enjoying most. come junior and senior years, fun starts going out the window, come college, well your fun is gone. After college, well its really gone.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Working Class Hero

Trader Rating: (32)
Send a message via MSN to TripleXmodder(akaXXX)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitemeer View Post
heres a $300 laptop lol
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218013392456

$50 more you get a brand new laptop at bestbuy
I would get this one.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:54 PM
SPR

you have any idea how much of a piece of junk those are lol. and how fast tehy break... you get what you pay for. always remember that! Id rather blow my money on junk food, it would last longer LOL.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:51 AM
the torqueinator

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to kendallcschm

Quote:
You're not going to find a laptop that will last you 8 years unless you very rarely use it.

You need to buy a desktop, and with a desktop you get alot more for your money anyway. Getting a Vista compatible laptop for $250 isn't going to happen either, or Vista will just run horribly on it because Vista at the least needs 1gb of RAM to run properly.

My suggestion, go to Dell and apply for their credit line. If you get approved, which is HARD, you will be able to get a very nice computer for low payments a month.
DELLS SUCK A*S im sorry i hate dell... we'll start with them frieing all their USA employees and going to india and then we'll go t the fact that they are crap!! the quality is less than satisfactory and it comes with windows... blah... i do nt know but i would go with a nice good old used gate way

Quote:
you're trying to sell me a pentium II... so searched it on ebay. sorry, but this one has quite a bit of what i want, too, you think i should try to get it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wireless-Dell-La...1%7C240%3A1308
Quote:
woah. this one is great, right?
http://cgi.ebay.com/DELL-D600-P4-MOB...1%7C240%3A1309
am i finally being smart?
LIFE LESSON TIME... i got a beautiful brand new pentium 3 dell and it fried it self in one year leaving al my prescious files on its harddrive never to be retrived... my dads dell which is the second one you chose is a peice of sh*t... it can hardly run word and powerpoint!!!! DONT DO DELL... go with gate way if you want windows and if you dont want windows and you want cheap go with something from newegg.com and put linux on it... ASUS is a great company and so is gateway... dont do emachines either

'65 Drag Mustang

mods to be made:
pro street rims
some sort of suspension upgrade (message me if you have suggestions)
soft drag slicks

Titan:

mods to be made:
CF driveshaft
composite driveshaft gears
Old 11-10-2008, 12:40 PM
SPR

you think gateway is better than dell? LMAO
Old 11-10-2008, 01:16 PM
US Air Force

Trader Rating: (9)

Compaq, And Hp.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Stage 1 member

FYI - Vista is a fine OS. Been running it on my main computer for nearly two years. Never had to format it till just last week.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Stage 1 member

i would say no matter what you do your not going to get anything good if its not a dell or a mac and both are not cheap i guess you can go look into getting a toshiba or somethign like that.
or you can just get a really horrible pentium 3 something since a computer doesnt really matter what manufacture makes it its how you use it and what you use it for that makes it crap out on you
i have a custome built desk top made by me that i have had running for 3 years now with XP os on it i have reformated it once because i dont do games i dont mess around on the virus full myspace pages but i would say get someting decent in your price range and just go buy a xp os disk alot of ram and a bigger hard drive then when you have it ruynning go into your control panel and go to visual performence and dump 4 gigs of your hard drive space into you ram space so you have your stock ram plus your extra bought ram then another four gigs of ram but i have to say its very hard to have a good lp for under 500$
Old 11-10-2008, 05:20 PM
the torqueinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilskipro587 View Post
Man haven't posted here in ages but this is an important one...
This summer my dad said he was going to buy me a laptop. I had a choice I could get a Macbook(~$1000) but it would be the last laptop he buys me for good. So unless I bought my own it would have to last me 6 years(roughly all of college though I would probably end up buying my own) I was physicked even though I would Windows I wanted to try something new. As I did more research I found that these all weren't what they were hyped up to be. So I began more research on different laptops. I found the Asus EEE's. I had followed them when they first came out but they were not worth the money then. I then found the 1000h model that had a 1.6ghz intel atom 1gb of ram and a 80gb hard drive. Perfect for what I needed one for considering I have a very good desktop computer too. This thing from Asus was tiny. 10 inch screen but along with that came a 7 hour battery life which meant I can use it all day and have no battery worries. All of this for just ~$450. It was set and this is what I have now. I use it for notes in school every day and have yet to have a complaint about it. Though it doesn't have a disk drive(i dont need one) it has 3 usb ports a web cam sd card reader and only weighs 3 pounds. Perfect for me and all I could ever see myself using.

EDIT: And it came with Windows Xp so I don't have to put up with all the vista crap.

wow your stupid the new macbooks are gaming machines with 5 hours of battery!!! they also have a 128GB solid state disk so when you drop it it CANT BREAK unless you REALLY chuck it... know your facts and look at this vid:
http://www.apple.com/macbook/the-new...tch.html#large

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustanglover View Post
Compaq, And Hp.
meh they are decent... they have had some nice improvements in the last few years

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo View Post
i would say no matter what you do your not going to get anything good if its not a dell or a mac and both are not cheap i guess you can go look into getting a toshiba or somethign like that.
or you can just get a really horrible pentium 3 something since a computer doesnt really matter what manufacture makes it its how you use it and what you use it for that makes it crap out on you
i have a custome built desk top made by me that i have had running for 3 years now with XP os on it i have reformated it once because i dont do games i dont mess around on the virus full myspace pages but i would say get someting decent in your price range and just go buy a xp os disk alot of ram and a bigger hard drive then when you have it ruynning go into your control panel and go to visual performence and dump 4 gigs of your hard drive space into you ram space so you have your stock ram plus your extra bought ram then another four gigs of ram but i have to say its very hard to have a good lp for under 500$
i got a custom built desktop and it has 3.5 gigs... and BTW if you buy a mac motherboard and DVD rom you can custom build your own mac pro too.... just sayin

'65 Drag Mustang

mods to be made:
pro street rims
soft drag slicks

Titan:

mods to be made:
CF driveshaft
Old 11-10-2008, 05:57 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Trader Rating: (24)
Send a message via AIM to TheB1GDude Send a message via MSN to TheB1GDude

Get this....

http://www.target.com/ASUS-Mini-Note.../dp/B0017RL0H2

Less than $300 ($250 for the 2GB one I think) comes with a sweet version of Linux.... 4GB solid state hard drive 512megs of ram.... I remember all those years ago when I was at uni with my POS toshiba lugging it around... wish I had had one of these bad boys....

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 11-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Stage 1 member

yeah i would definetly go with building a custom computer it being a lap top or desk top its cheaper and you get the resutls you want

like my desktop has a 22" hd screen that goes to 1080i i have 15000 gigs of hard drive space im running 3 gigs of real ram and 16 from my hard drives i dont remember the vid card but it has 512mbs of ram on that its all sata driven and its only a pentium4 i wish it was a duo core but this thing rocks but i also have a dell inspiron 1525 thats all suped up running 3 gigs of ram and a 130 gig hard drive running the vista os
Old 11-10-2008, 06:31 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
wow your stupid the new macbooks are gaming machines with 5 hours of battery!!! they also have a 128GB solid state disk so when you drop it it CANT BREAK unless you REALLY chuck it... know your facts and look at this vid:
http://www.apple.com/macbook/the-new...tch.html#large

meh they are decent... they have had some nice improvements in the last few years

i got a custom built desktop and it has 3.5 gigs... and BTW if you buy a mac motherboard and DVD rom you can custom build your own mac pro too.... just sayin
Calling a former staff member stupid,,,,, "brilliant"
Old 11-10-2008, 06:55 PM
the torqueinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheB1GDude View Post
Get this....

http://www.target.com/ASUS-Mini-Note.../dp/B0017RL0H2

Less than $300 ($250 for the 2GB one I think) comes with a sweet version of Linux.... 4GB solid state hard drive 512megs of ram.... I remember all those years ago when I was at uni with my POS toshiba lugging it around... wish I had had one of these bad boys....
these are nice... a little to small for my taste but like i said before ASUS is a good brand... i have a video card by them... i don't know if it would use sims 3 because of the graphical requirements.

EDIT: the version of linux is probably ubuntu which is sweet dude.. BTW linux is free all around... you can ask them to ship it to you and install it to any pc or mac

'65 Drag Mustang

mods to be made:
pro street rims
soft drag slicks

Titan:

mods to be made:
CF driveshaft
Closed Thread