Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 10-18-2008, 09:15 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstock View Post
The question states the the treadmill moves in the opposite direction at the same rate of speed at the which the planes moves forward. This keeps the plane from moving forward. The plane can obtain lift because the prop is directing air over the wings. If you don't believe me look it up yourself, there's no debating it.
Your completely missing some simple physics here. The wheels on the plane are free rolling... the treadmill can go in reverse 10 million miles an hour and the plane will still move forward. If the air generated by the prop was enough for liftoff, why would they make the wings so wide??? so that they react to the air as the plane moves forward through the air. the air created by the prop moves straight back, it does not magically spread out to match the width of the wings. Even in all of the videos you provided the plane moves forward. not 1 vid shows the plane achieving liftoff while standing still and a treadmill moving the opposite direction.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:42 PM
XMS Admin

Trader Rating: (35)
Send a message via MSN to zippo855 Send a message via Yahoo to zippo855

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX9RBART View Post
Your completely missing some simple physics here. The wheels on the plane are free rolling... the treadmill can go in reverse 10 million miles an hour and the plane will still move forward. If the air generated by the prop was enough for liftoff, why would they make the wings so wide??? so that they react to the air as the plane moves forward through the air. the air created by the prop moves straight back, it does not magically spread out to match the width of the wings. Even in all of the videos you provided the plane moves forward. not 1 vid shows the plane achieving liftoff while standing still and a treadmill moving the opposite direction.
in the link i posted it states this. no matter how fast the conveyor is going the plane will move forward. just say the planes take off speed is 100 mph, the conveyor is going to move reverse at 100 mph. the plane is still going to move forward til it reaches its 100 mph mark. and take off. the plane doesnt stay still and take off. the planes thrust will propel it forward. the wheels are basically frictionless. the tires would be moveing at speed of 200 mph when it reaches take off, but it will be moving forward. and hwo that comes up is 100mph reverse conveyor, 100 mph forward plane. 100 +100 = 200. the wheels do not control the speed of the plane. the prop / turbines thrust does.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ul_5...eature=related

the only exception to a plane not needing to move forward to take off is the harrier jet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_4oD...eature=related

TEAM X.I.
my massive collection of xmods
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13526

Last edited by zippo855; 10-18-2008 at 10:45 PM..
Old 10-18-2008, 10:50 PM
XMS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippo855 View Post
in the link i posted it states this. no matter how fast the conveyor is going the plane will move forward. just say the planes take off speed is 100 mph, the conveyor is going to move reverse at 100 mph. the plane is still going to move forward til it reaches its 100 mph mark. and take off. the plane doesnt stay still and take off. the planes thrust will propel it forward. the wheels are basically frictionless. the tires would be moveing at speed of 200 mph when it reaches take off, but it will be moving forward. and hwo that comes up is 100mph reverse conveyor, 100 mph forward plane. 100 +100 = 200. the wheels do not control the speed of the plane. the prop / turbines thrust does.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ul_5...eature=related

the only exception to a plane not needing to move forward to take off is the harrier jet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_4oD...eature=related
Thank you. At least someone has my back.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:31 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (4)

Quote:
.............The plane can obtain lift because the prop is directing air over the wings............
If this was the case; why couldn't we just forget the treadmill, hold the plane stationary and wind the engine up to takeoff? If what you're saying is true this idea would work.
Almost all of what you're saying is completely preposterous. The treadmill being there make absolutely no difference in the length of the runway.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:41 PM
XMS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberworkz View Post
If this was the case; why couldn't we just forget the treadmill, hold the plane stationary and wind the engine up to takeoff? If what you're saying is true this idea would work.
Almost all of what you're saying is completely preposterous. The treadmill being there make absolutely no difference in the length of the runway.
More truth, how about the next time a "chaos" thread is made some research is done first.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:03 AM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX9RBART View Post
More truth, how about the next time a "chaos" thread is made some research is done first.
I totally agree, quite frankly this is one of the stupidest debates I've seen in awhile. The answers are obvious; the plane will takeoff, you can't create lift while remaining stationary [barring a stong headwind] and the treadmill won't affect takeoff distance in the least.
And a few questons for imstock; Why wouldn't the plane move? How does the plane create lift at a stand-still?
Old 10-19-2008, 11:19 AM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to imstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberworkz View Post
Ever flown a model airplane?

You hand hold the tail in your hand, spool the motor and it will take off from a completely stationary position.

16.8 in the quarter mile isn't fast.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:31 AM
XMS Admin

Trader Rating: (35)
Send a message via MSN to zippo855 Send a message via Yahoo to zippo855

Quote:

You hand hold the tail in your hand, spool the motor and it will take off from a completely stationary position.
i have seen people do this and it will take off in a shorter length than normal, but with these airplanes there is a difference from real airplanes. the amount of thrust to weight ratio that these model airplanes put out is a lot different than real planes put out. and it also depends on the type of plane you are doing it with. how the wings are set up in correspondence with the engine.
i highly doubt that you will be able to accomplish this with a 1:1 airplane. if you could get it to have enough thrust to weight ratio to take off like this you would most likely damage the structural integrity of the plane when trying to hold it stationary.

TEAM X.I.
my massive collection of xmods
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13526
Old 10-19-2008, 11:31 AM
XMS Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

Quote:

Yes, I have. I'm a member of Skymasters RC. One of the nations largest RC Flight Clubs and host of the Mid-West Regional Float Fly.

In light foam airplanes where the ratio of weight to size is disproportionate to that of a full sized airplane, yes. I have never seen a scale plane able to do that. Even the foamies take a massive dip towards the ground before there is enough airspeed and wind flowing over the wings to create lift.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."