Trader Rating: (1)

I'm liking the green paint
Old 01-21-2009, 04:40 PM
XMS Admin

Trader Rating: (35)
Send a message via MSN to zippo855 Send a message via Yahoo to zippo855

Quote:
Originally Posted by himynamebebrian View Post
do you have an air brush? i think it would be sweet if you found a mettalic green or whatever color you want to airbrush a little line from the bottom all the way around that fades almost like steam coming off water ya know but on the side of your car.
that would be cool, and yes i am airbrushing this. i might look into that for a future project though. good idea
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmoracer0 View Post
nice i am looking forward to seeing what its gonna look like when done
thanks, me too
Quote:
Originally Posted by dccracing View Post
nice paint. i like the metalic black. what wheels are you planing on using on this thing?
unsure on the wheels yet. what that mainly depends on is the finished product. depending on how well it turns out depends on if this is getting lifted with some aoshimas or if i slam it to the ground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckerz View Post
when i read 'project: got chrome' i thought the final paint job would be the shiny chrome paint like this.
i was originally planning on it being just chrome, but i changed my mind on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dccracing View Post
ya i thought so too. kinda like the mclaren mercedes f1 team paint
we might see if i can get something in the future that will bring out the shine that much
Quote:
Originally Posted by vietnamezerice View Post
I'm liking the green paint
me too, but its not green anymore....................

ill get some update pics later, got the last coat of black on and getting ready to mask it tonight for the next color

TEAM X.I.
my massive collection of xmods
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13526
Old 01-21-2009, 10:19 PM
XMS Admin

well i got the last coat of black on and masked off the design og the paintjob. here's some pics.
ghost flames

TEAM X.I.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:29 PM
is going fishin'

Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via AIM to wadethejuggalo

really nice funny how this went from chrome to green to black to now black with green flames
Old 01-21-2009, 10:31 PM
LM Graphics

Trader Rating: (5)

Wow! Nice looking paintjob there. Just some suggestions for next time:

I'd make the flames originate from off of the body. Your flames form from one point, rather than continuing off of the side, hood, bedcover, or whatever. That's just my style - do what you feel is right.

You have some overspray on the bedcover. If I'm using stencils or tape, I always cover the whole area up. Paint has a tendency to get where you don't want it to be.

Looks like there is some rough texture on the flames in some spots. I think you may want to thin the paint down a little. But the black is looking spot-on, so it may be the paint. It can be fixed by putting the clear coat on and polishing it up.

Nice work! Keep it up Zippo.

I will not be able to visit these forums very much anymore. If you need to contact me, please e-mail me at [email protected]. I will finish up all bodies I have and get them shipped to each of their owners. Thank you.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:39 PM
XMS Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadethejuggalo View Post
really nice funny how this went from chrome to green to black to now black with green flames
lol yeah, should have called it project, air brush test body, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer_Man View Post
Wow! Nice looking paintjob there. Just some suggestions for next time:

I'd make the flames originate from off of the body. Your flames form from one point, rather than continuing off of the side, hood, bedcover, or whatever. That's just my style - do what you feel is right.
trust me, the next one isnt going to go over any curves, or edges, the mask didn't want to stay.
You have some overspray on the bedcover. If I'm using stencils or tape, I always cover the whole area up. Paint has a tendency to get where you don't want it to be.
i knew you would pick up on that, and yeah i painted the rest of them no issues, but saw that on the bed, so i am going to try to wet sand it off, but might have to go back over it.
Looks like there is some rough texture on the flames in some spots. I think you may want to thin the paint down a little. But the black is looking spot-on, so it may be the paint. It can be fixed by putting the clear coat on and polishing it up.
i thinned it down to about the same as the black, my gun likes the paint really thin. i am thinking it was the paint itself. but definately will be wet sanding and clearcoatting it.
Nice work! Keep it up Zippo.
thanks man, definately will be practing more, got a few more bodies that are screaming for a paint job.

TEAM X.I.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:45 PM
LM Graphics

Instead of wet-sanding, I'd try polishing compound to get the overspray off. It gives you more control over what to take off. Good luck! You can always do another bedcover if anything happens, it's not like it's the body.

-LM

I will not be able to visit these forums very much anymore. If you need to contact me, please e-mail me at [email protected]. I will finish up all bodies I have and get them shipped to each of their owners. Thank you.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:47 PM
I got nothin...

Trader Rating: (0)

actually the overspray looks kinda cool. at least from the angle in the picture it does

New Forum Needing Members:
http://rcunited.tk/
Old 01-21-2009, 10:53 PM
Working Class Hero

Trader Rating: (32)
Send a message via MSN to TripleXmodder(akaXXX)

I like the subtleness of the design. How the flames are close in color to the rest of the body. Then pops out in different angles. Georgeous. Nice job man.

XXX FREE modding Service: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17800
PM me for a quote or any questions. HAPPY MODDING

100% Positive Itrader feedback http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/itrader.php?u=6901
Old 01-22-2009, 05:18 PM
XMS Admin

Quote:
Instead of wet-sanding, I'd try polishing compound to get the overspray off. It gives you more control over what to take off. Good luck! You can always do another bedcover if anything happens, it's not like it's the body.

-LM
hmm, i might try that, any particular brand of polishing compound?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmodzracer View Post
actually the overspray looks kinda cool. at least from the angle in the picture it does
thanks, it just looks out of place though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleXmodder(akaXXX) View Post
I like the subtleness of the design. How the flames are close in color to the rest of the body. Then pops out in different angles. Georgeous. Nice job man.
thanks man. thats what i was shooting for. once i get my fine tip for my airbrush i want a go at some actual ghost flames. with the fine tip i can highlight the flames better to make them a more subtle change.

TEAM X.I.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:20 PM
LM Graphics

I use TurtleWax, or something with turtle in it. I've heard it's not the best, but it has always worked well for me. I know that Bondo uses Tamiya brand, but I couldn't find any, so I stuck with the Turtle brand.

-LM

Old 01-23-2009, 11:21 AM
All 6's and 7's

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via MSN to bondo

Quote:
I use TurtleWax, or something with turtle in it. I've heard it's not the best, but it has always worked well for me. I know that Bondo uses Tamiya brand, but I couldn't find any, so I stuck with the Turtle brand.

-LM
by no means is turtlewax bad, but it has a higher abbrasive content then the tamiya.
when i'm ready to cut and polish, it's a 5 part step.
1000,2000 grit for cut, turtlewax medium compound,3M shine restore followed by tamiya fine compound.
alot of steps but this is the result.

if you guys need some tamiya i have a few unopened tubes i might be willing to part with.

the truck looks killer!
the flames arent exactly "ghost" but their laid out perfectly and blend REAL well.
if you want to lay out "ghost" designs it's best to thin out you ghost color to almost water consistancy.
trace the edges of the design with a fine spray follwed by a fine mist over the entire design.
something like this.

if you dont highlight the edges you end up with a 1d design.

1D does'nt look bad at all but the 3d "pops".
Old 01-23-2009, 06:48 PM
LM Graphics

Okay, thanks for clearing that up Bondo! I'll have to try some of those flames, they look killer.

-LM