Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 08-17-2009, 06:28 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Zmax ain't worth anything.. Most fuel additives are BS. Only additives I've ever used were Restore oil for beat up motors (98 GMC Jimmy runs smoother on it, the Firebird got consistently better fuel mileage (plus the car sat for a while), the Laser stopped burning more oil than gas...). Does well for high mileage motors it seems. And sea foam is WTF awesome at cleaning carbon out of anything.

Run 93 octane from a good gas station for the test. You should run it that ways anyways, provides better power, and better fuel economy on that motor anyways. Plus, it's only 3 dollars more per tank give or take, worth it to run the car right. Emissions will often times run better too. Also, are you driving the car around a good bit before testing? At running temp it will run cleaner than when warming up.

And why would you put the cats way at the end?

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 08-17-2009 at 06:30 PM..
Old 08-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (7)
Send a message via AIM to monsterhunter

sea foam helps clean out carbon? im gonna have to get some of that. before i bought the car it sat for 3 years so i might need that stuff. also the my mom kept tellin me to put the 89 crap in, so im gonna switch over to that once im allowed gas money again. i get my gas form BP all the time works good in out the other cars. i put the cat alll the way back there becuae it was super easy and if i put it farther up it would have taken longer because its so low. Now im starting to think putting a custom twin turbo set up in the thing would be pretty kick *** too.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:48 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterhunter View Post
sea foam helps clean out carbon? im gonna have to get some of that. before i bought the car it sat for 3 years so i might need that stuff. also the my mom kept tellin me to put the 89 crap in, so im gonna switch over to that once im allowed gas money again. i get my gas form BP all the time works good in out the other cars. i put the cat alll the way back there becuae it was super easy and if i put it farther up it would have taken longer because its so low. Now im starting to think putting a custom twin turbo set up in the thing would be pretty kick *** too.
Yeah, Suck in that can of seafoam through a vacuum hose!
Old 08-17-2009, 11:32 PM
Elite member

I'm gonna have to soon enough i really need to get this thing through inspection then, im gonna try to go for a twin turbo upgrade for it, to give it some real power and what not.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:40 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:

Then it sounds like the cat can't get hot enough to do it's job as well, thus poor emissions. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the 1st time.

To use sea foam, pour about a half can into a cup. Pull the vacuum booster line off and plug it with your finger, and have someone start the car and hold the RPMs up near 2-3k. Then, allow the vacuum hose to 'slurp' the fluid up... As in, hold it on the surface of the sea foam in the cup so it sucks fluid and air at the sametime. DO NOT LET THE CAR STALL, if it studders make sure your guy at the wheel revves it back up. If it stalls, you risk hydrolocking the motor. Get is sucked up as quick as you can and immediatly shut the car down. Let sit for 15-20 minutes. Restart it, and either rev the **** out of it, or drive the **** out of it until the steam stops billowing out of the tail pipe... The more carbon the longer it takes to finish the job. But, it can even clean the soot off your tail pipes, it's so awesome.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 08-18-2009, 07:09 AM
MEOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Trader Rating: (0)

another tip before you test is to drive it on the express way for about 20mins. Also while waiting in line to test if there is a line hold the RPMs in neutral at about 2500. This will keep the cat nice and warm, allowing it to do its job the best.

Also make sure you can all optional loads of too such as air conditioning and the radio. Your battery should be in good shape too if its weak and alternator is full fielded you engine will need to work harder during the test.

Take some carb cleaner and spray all you vacuum line too. If engine rpm picks up you have a leak. Even a slight vacuum leak, due to being lean will raise combustion temps causing more NoX emissions.

good luck
Old 08-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Elite member

thanks guys, all helpin pretty good, right now im working on relocating the car, im gonna get to it in a few days when im allowed to get gas again (almost on E) cant do anything with out gas then im gonan buy some sea foam, and ill try carb cleaner in the vacuum line as well. thansk for the help so far all great ideas and most likely help me out alot.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:11 PM
Elite member

Well today i bought some engine restore and fuel injection cleaner. seems to be running a little better. throttle and pick ups a bit better, next i have to find a store with sea foam in stock and move the cat back up closer to the dead stock ones and i should be able to fly through emissions. then i got for a twin turbo custom set up.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Why do you have the old cats if their bad? Cut that **** out and get it to a muffler shop. Could be half your problems there. Bad cats clog and create loads of back pressure.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:30 PM
Elite member

well the problem there is there in my down pipe and are also my y pipe. so if i get ride of them i woudl have to completely eliminate that, and the o.e.m peices for that run $650 for the left side $490 for the right side. and my parents are having no way in hell gonna pay 1100 bucks for new cats for it. and plus if i can just get it to pass with those on it, i can just get ride of the whole system after and put all custom turbo-back once i get the twin turbo set up. Also, i found sea foam at Wal-Mart, for $8.95(like 5 bucks less then the local auto zone) so i will be picking that up tomorrow.

Last edited by monsterhunter; 08-21-2009 at 10:38 PM..
Old 08-21-2009, 10:45 PM
XMS Administrator

Just a quick, stupid question. How are you going to pay for a twin turbo setup if you cant pay for new cats?
Old 08-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Elite member

well i personaly have 1500 bucks saved up, and have found a guy thats parting out an S4 so i can grab most of the parts form there so i can grab most of it pretty cheap. my parents pay for all the other odds and ends to get it through inspection. and my dad pretty much flatout told me that hes not gonna put 1100 into the car.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:24 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

This is not difficult...

You have to cut the old ones out, period. They are hurting performance, emissions, and your motor if they are indeed bad. You can have a straight piece of pipe welded in their place (why get a new y-pipe?), and run single cat at the end of the Y. This would place the cat in an acceptable location, and solve many issues..

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 08-21-2009 at 11:27 PM..
Old 08-21-2009, 11:35 PM
Elite member

well pretty much the Cats are the Y pipe. once i get under the car in a few days, im going to check out what i can do with it, i might as well do wha tyou said and just cut it all out and just shove any piece of pipe there, im not going to any permanent fix really, since after i finish with the whole custom stuff(picking up parts next weekend) im just going to get ride of the whole system and run a custom 4" down pipes into 3" and out the side probably exhaust straight back with maybe just nothing or maybe a muffler not sure yet, i got a couple friends that are gonna be helping me with this.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:10 AM
Elite member

Quote:
Well guys, i have been constitly(SP?) failing emission while im trying to get this car to pass inspection. its the only thing im failing and i need some help here. i just bought a new cat, but i put it all the way back where the tailpipe should be. the HCs went down almost to passing but the COS went way up.my main question is; Since the cat is that far away from the motor is that whats causing the COS to go up? Or is there something else wrong? The car is a 1992 audi 100 quattro 2.8L with 187k on it. any question to help out just ask. and il try my best to answer it.

Thanks in advance Jay.
DANG, your car is FAT. 3,715 lbs?!
Old 08-22-2009, 12:22 AM
Elite member

nah man this car weights in at just over 5000! yes 5000 lbs! and with 170 hp and 180 ft lbs torque, it isnt going anywhere fast...at all. thats why i want the twin turbo in it(totally custom havnt seen one of these cars with it)

Last edited by monsterhunter; 08-22-2009 at 12:25 AM..
Old 08-22-2009, 01:55 AM
Elite member

Quote:
nah man this car weights in at just over 5000! yes 5000 lbs! and with 170 hp and 180 ft lbs torque, it isnt going anywhere fast...at all. thats why i want the twin turbo in it(totally custom havnt seen one of these cars with it)
What did you do to it? Your cars curb weight should be 3715. If you got that number from your car (i.e. in the door jam) then that is the weight of your car plus the maximum amount of cargo weight that is allowable.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:42 AM
Elite member

yea i jsut read some of the car and it weights 3,892 lbs, im guessing the last time i looked at a sticker i was reading the wrong one, either way its one heavy car, and theres nothing i can really do about the weight since its all steel , and theres not much i have to take outa the car..so yea sorry for that false thing there. so yea, so far the plans are to use the sea foam and work the exhaust and go from there. Next weekend im going to be picking up; Manifolds(2), Front brakes(rotors calipers and all needed lines)(both sides),Fuel pump, All turbo piping(4 pieces i believe) and Intercooleer(1 outa 2) all for alittle under $500.These parts are coming off of a Newer Audi S4. Also will be checked over to see that they are good/and cleaned.

Heres an older pic of the car, but nothings really changed.

Last edited by monsterhunter; 08-22-2009 at 04:53 AM..
Old 08-25-2009, 08:38 PM
All 6's and 7's

Send a message via MSN to bondo

Quote:
well the problem there is there in my down pipe and are also my y pipe. so if i get ride of them i woudl have to completely eliminate that, and the o.e.m peices for that run $650 for the left side $490 for the right side. and my parents are having no way in hell gonna pay 1100 bucks for new cats for it. and plus if i can just get it to pass with those on it, i can just get ride of the whole system after and put all custom turbo-back once i get the twin turbo set up. Also, i found sea foam at Wal-Mart, for $8.95(like 5 bucks less then the local auto zone) so i will be picking that up tomorrow.

Quote:
well i personaly have 1500 bucks saved up, and have found a guy thats parting out an S4 so i can grab most of the parts form there so i can grab most of it pretty cheap. my parents pay for all the other odds and ends to get it through inspection. and my dad pretty much flatout told me that hes not gonna put 1100 into the car.
seriously,you're starting to sound like snowboi.
that's awesome that you have cash set back for the HP bits but HP bits aren't going to get you past inspections.

what you have first and foremost is exhaust problems.
assuming that your new cat is clamped in place,you can take the whole car to a jim and chuck exhaust shop and have them remove the stock cats,replace them with scab bends and weld your new cat after the Y.
a freind of mine had similar surgery done to his '73 camaro but had it welded from the shorties back to the tips including catalytic for $185.
conscidering that you have half the welds it should only run you about $120.
please don't say that it's going to cost more because yours isn't a camaro.
exhaust shops don't work like that unless you take it to a dealer.

just do it right,spend a chunk out of your "turbo fund" to get it legal and then get a job to replenish the funds.
turbo doesnt mean jack if it can't leave your driveway.....

FWIW,catalytic converters are designed to outlast a vehicle.
if you toasted one then you'de better be suspect as to why..

Last edited by bondo; 08-25-2009 at 08:41 PM..
Old 08-25-2009, 08:47 PM
MEOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo View Post
seriously,you're starting to sound like snowboi.
that's awesome that you have cash set back for the HP bits but HP bits aren't going to get you past inspections.

what you have first and foremost is exhaust problems.
assuming that your new cat is clamped in place,you can take the whole car to a jim and chuck exhaust shop and have them remove the stock cats,replace them with scab bends and weld your new cat after the Y.
a freind of mine had similar surgery done to his '73 camaro but had it welded from the shorties back to the tips including catalytic for $185.
conscidering that you have half the welds it should only run you about $120.
please don't say that it's going to cost more because yours isn't a camaro.
exhaust shops don't work like that unless you take it to a dealer.

just do it right,spend a chunk out of your "turbo fund" to get it legal and then get a job to replenish the funds.
turbo doesnt mean jack if it can't leave your driveway.....

FWIW,catalytic converters are designed to outlast a vehicle.
if you toasted one then you'de better be suspect as to why..
Running rich too long(caused by bad o2, stuck open or wrong thermostat, leaky injectors,and so on) or engine missfire.

Take note that some cars just tend to use cats due to the way they were "tuned" from the factory. While most newer ones have flash updates to prolong the life, while others don't. But this is rare.