Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

View Poll Results: Which do you Prefer Old cars or new cars?
Neither I don't like cars(how could you!?!) 4 7.84%
Older(Pre/before 1990s) 26 50.98%
Newer(1990s+) 21 41.18%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)

Who they heck voted they don't like cars?
Old 04-03-2008, 07:14 PM
MSI <3

Trader Rating: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt456 View Post
Dr. Suess.

anyways i still think aluminum bumpers make a car complete.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:27 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Trader Rating: (0)

that evil face is so scary, i always get scared when i see it. there it is again...my dream car is the aston martin v8 vantage a new one but one of my favorite features is the speedometer and the tachometer they look like old anoalog clocks, lots of new cars have features origanally from old cars, like the new camaro how the small half of the side windows are curved on the bottom have not seen that for a while, the mini is practicly the same *IMO* and jeeps still look pretty much the same...agree?

not saying im hating on old cars, i really like some of them, just prefer newer ones
Old 04-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Banned

old-new i like both
Old 04-04-2008, 12:38 AM
Xmod Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt456 View Post
HAHA, my hand slipped?

I didn't know waht to vote, so i picked the "other" one...
Old 04-04-2008, 12:58 AM
Elite member

Send a message via AIM to atruebudfan Send a message via MSN to atruebudfan Send a message via Yahoo to atruebudfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
Classic, pre-late 70s and a select few 80s cars.

Nothing beats being able to actually see your enigne, much less sit next to it, and work on it under the hood. Classic styling that was not driven by the bean counters in their cubicles.

Aerodynamics be ****ed, I have chrome bumpers and tail fins!
So true, any real car guy will tell you he likes to work on a car that's not controlled by a computer. To even start work on these new cars you have to have a good scan tool before you can do anything, and then when you found out the problem its usely a costly part. One o2 sensor for my 94' Cadillac costs like 60$, I bought one for my other car an 87' Buick and it was 1/5th the price. You can really tell how far computer control has came. Each year you can see an advancement, today almost ever system is hooked up to a computer.

The Classics will always be the best cars, back then it wasn't all about making money, it was about making great cars. The rival between the Big 3 bought the best out of them all.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:18 AM
US Air Force

Trader Rating: (9)

old cars FTW! i love all them old car because i have a 68 stang.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:25 AM
Stage 2 member

Ain't nothin like a "lead sled"
Old 04-04-2008, 10:45 AM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

Older cars because they have the classis feel, the sweet lines and the muscle. The 1970's muscle cars will always be remembered in the hearts of Americans.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."

Old 04-04-2008, 03:07 PM
Stage 1 member

That leadsled is one sweet car!

I like old and new. Probably lean a little more towards old.

Computers are both good and bad. They make the cars more fuel efficient and better running as they can tune on the fly. They also help track of what is going on and report problems before you know you have them. Bad because they make them harder and more expensive to work on.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Forum Idiot

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via AIM to Sweed Send a message via Yahoo to Sweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky7 View Post
Computers are both good and bad. They make the cars more fuel efficient and better running as they can tune on the fly. They also help track of what is going on and report problems before you know you have them. Bad because they make them harder and more expensive to work on.
Erm.. Not completely. Honda (among others) have been pumping out 50mpg+ cars since the early 70's, with Carberators and no ECU.... And the older simple cars are simpler, so it's a easier to change stuff.

I like old stuff, becuase there's not plastic all over the engine.
"Save us, oh lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen"
Old 04-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Stage 1 member

But what were those 50mpg cars getting for horsepower? Compare an early 70's Honda engine to todays Honda engine with computer. Fuel mileage, emissions, horsepower. Who wins? If the 70's Honda can beat the new Honda or even come close then something is wrong.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Forum Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky7 View Post
But what were those 50mpg cars getting for horsepower? Compare an early 70's Honda engine to todays Honda engine with computer. Fuel mileage, emissions, horsepower. Who wins? If the 70's Honda can beat the new Honda or even come close then something is wrong.
My dad's Civic is rated at about 80hp. For a 1.2L car that is N/A, that's pretty good considering your getting 50mpg while your at it. The engine is pretty peppy too.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Early Camaro Z/28s with their small, rev-happy V8s also got 25+ mpg if you were easy with them. My generation of trucks, even with the 350 small block, average typically around 14 mpg, on par with a modern truck. The Straight-6 equipped trucks can get around 17 mpg.

But, Sweed, toss EFI onto your dad's Civic, and fuel mileage will still increase. For all around performance, reliability, and efficiency, carbs fall behind EFI...

Cars are just fatter now days with all their safety mumbo-jumbo. And ironically, in heavy crashes don't fair much better then some old bricks. Should see what my gen of trucks can do to Crown-Vics.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 04-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to fordman239

i like the foxbody mustangs

Old 04-12-2008, 05:09 PM
Forum Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman239 View Post
i like the foxbody mustangs

If they took of the kit, the stripes, painted it another color, changed the rims, dropped the hood scoop, and didn't have clear corners, it would be great(er).
Old 04-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to fordman239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
If they took of the kit, the stripes, painted it another color, changed the rims, dropped the hood scoop, and didn't have clear corners, it would be great(er).
i think it looks better than a stock one like that, especialy the clear corners, those look great on that car imo.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
Early Camaro Z/28s with their small, rev-happy V8s also got 25+ mpg if you were easy with them. My generation of trucks, even with the 350 small block, average typically around 14 mpg, on par with a modern truck. The Straight-6 equipped trucks can get around 17 mpg.

But, Sweed, toss EFI onto your dad's Civic, and fuel mileage will still increase. For all around performance, reliability, and efficiency, carbs fall behind EFI...

Cars are just fatter now days with all their safety mumbo-jumbo. And ironically, in heavy crashes don't fair much better then some old bricks. Should see what my gen of trucks can do to Crown-Vics.
I would like to say that the old vehicles might not take alot of damage in a wreck.. but something has to take the blow of the impact, and if the metal isn't doing it then the driver takes ALOT of impact.

These new cars might crumple up like a pop can that got stepped on, BUT the driver takes alot less force because the car is designed to take it. They make cars with crumple zones, just for this reason. Todays cars are ALOT safer, old cars just fare better damage wise..

I still prefer old cars though. I wish I grew up in the 40's to 60's.. god that would have been such an awesome time. I seriously with I was born in about 1910 to be there when "horseless carriages" came about, and then been there for the muscle car era.. would have been so much better than today's screwed up world.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

ling427ttvette- The Merc (Crown Vic look-alike) hit head-on at 70, drunk and high, while the C10 driver was doing 40.The driver of the '69 C10 left with a concussion, chipped tooth, broken rib, and a broken arm. The guy in the Mercury (Crown Vic look-alike) was in ICU for weeks. Only reason the C10 driver got the ribs, and head injuries is from the original lap belts letting his head meet the steering wheel (which is why I'm tossing shoulder belts on my CST/10).

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 04-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Stage 1 member

Would be interesting to put the older 70's and earlier cars thru crash tests and see where they stand. The whole point of crumple zones and 6 air bags is to increase survivability. But obviously if a C10 driver can walk away from a head on while the Crown Vic driver is in ICU then something is wrong. How old was the Vic?