View Poll Results: Battle of the 240 mph titans
Monte Carlo NASCAR Stock car 23 63.89%
IMSA Porsche 962 Prototype-class 13 36.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2009, 04:05 PM
the torqueinator

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to kendallcschm

im seeing the monte carlo... its a muscle car.. it has a way bigger displacement..

'65 Drag Mustang

mods to be made:
pro street rims
some sort of suspension upgrade (message me if you have suggestions)
soft drag slicks

Titan:

mods to be made:
CF driveshaft
composite driveshaft gears
Old 04-16-2009, 04:22 PM
The one and only

Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to Witty Send a message via MSN to Witty Send a message via Yahoo to Witty Send a message via Skype™ to Witty

Im going with the Porsche sense the people around there know how to make good race cars.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:39 PM
The Daywalker

Send a message via AIM to Numbchux Send a message via MSN to Numbchux Send a message via Yahoo to Numbchux

I voted porsche since it has more power, less weight, better aero, revs higher (doesn't say, but bore/stroke are closer to the same, which typically means higher rev limit).

But, the chevy has the advantage in top speed due to gearing. at their hp peak rpm (redline not listed), due to the larger tires on the monte carlo, the porsche is almost 35mph slower. if the straights on the track in question are long enough to allow the monte carlo to get up beyond ~230mph (7800 rpm in 5th is 226...), the porsche probably won't be able to post a higher maximum speed, since it really was designed for short, technical courses, not top speed runs.

although, even if the monte carlo can reach a higher max, I bet the porsche still puts down a faster lap time. Wider tires, lighter wheels, bigger brakes, better suspension....yea.

"Where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?"
Subaru --- All We'll Drive
Member: NSW, USC, MNS, C4C. Founder/Owner: NCC
Old 04-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EDJ View Post
A true performance vehicle is good at everything; acceleration, speed, braking, and cornering. The stock car can go fast in circles and in a straight line... big deal, I can make a Honda Civic do that. True performance shines in the bends, and the Porsche will take that one hands down.

The Porsche gets my vote.
But that is not the point of this poll, discussion, or article.

While NASCAR race cars are primarily setup for circle track, they are not lacking in the handling department on road courses. Just, mainly driver skill when they bring the series off the oval track.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 04-16-2009, 09:31 PM
drifter and engineer

Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

the porsche i think would hold its speed better on the oval than the monte carlo because the monte carlo is so heavy, has less grip budget (smaller tires with a higher weight), is less powerful in both terms of torque and hp, and aerodynamically speaking, the monte carlo would not be able to hit its 240mph topspeed(it'd only get to around 210 before the engine can't push it any faster) while the porsche's lower topspeed (215-220) would be reached more easily (to about 212mph after aerodynamic reductions) because the porsche has better aerodynamics, along with better power and slightly shorter gearing.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

My I ask where you get these theoretical top speed numbers, based on the .Co of each car?

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 04-16-2009, 09:47 PM
is awesome

From hogwarts school of witchcraft texan I thought you knew that

Last edited by 2jack3jack; 04-16-2009 at 09:54 PM..
Old 04-16-2009, 09:49 PM
MSI <3

Trader Rating: (2)

i picked the monte carlo. if it's in a magazine, the obvious answer is wrong. that's my reasoning.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:07 PM
drifter and engineer

Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

well i didn't get actual topspeed numbers, but the theoretical numbers are always a lot higher than the actual numbers, but the more aero a car is, the less of a difference there is between theoretical and actual. since the monte carlo is so not aerodynamic, it would hit a speed limiting wall of air so to speak. the drag would equalize with the accelerating force and the topeed wouldn't go any higher. but since the drag force is lower for the porsche, the porsche would get waaay closer to its theoretical numbers than the monte carlo, making the porsche faster even on the straights
Old 04-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

But lets talk about other aerodynamic factors, like drag and the frontal area. While the Monte is a brick in shape, it's frontal area is very small compared to the wide and low Porsche. Frontal area has much to do with how air strikes and moves around the nose of the car.

Drag, and down force are very related. The two cars are built with different things in mind. While yes, the Monte has less down force, and skinnier tires, it is because it does not need the same levels of grip to go around the oval that the Porche needs to go around a road course. Thus, it is created with top speed in mind, not down force. Down force, creates drag.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:25 PM
auto body tech

Trader Rating: (14)
Send a message via Yahoo to spitfire

Ya i agree with texan. The porshe needs more down force because its liter.

I do think the monte would win because of the how fast muscle cars can accelerate. Plus the monte is maid for an oval track.

RA44 USGP 10th Anniversary Toyota Celica.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:31 PM
MSI <3

Trader Rating: (2)

you know, i never really thought about it, but downforce is almost useless. just save money and stick rocks in the car to have actual weight, not artificial. jk, but it makes you think, don't it?
Old 04-16-2009, 10:42 PM
The Daywalker

Send a message via AIM to Numbchux Send a message via MSN to Numbchux Send a message via Yahoo to Numbchux

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
But lets talk about other aerodynamic factors, like drag and the frontal area. While the Monte is a brick in shape, it's frontal area is very small compared to the wide and low Porsche. Frontal area has much to do with how air strikes and moves around the nose of the car.

Drag, and down force are very related. The two cars are built with different things in mind. While yes, the Monte has less down force, and skinnier tires, it is because it does not need the same levels of grip to go around the oval that the Porche needs to go around a road course. Thus, it is created with top speed in mind, not down force. Down force, creates drag.
yep, hard to say which one would be "slipperier" as far as aero is concerned. you are definitely right, the nascar doesn't need the same levels of downforce, so while there's a lot more going into the design of the porsche, it may have a similar amount of drag.

either way, I don't think the porsche will have any trouble reaching it's top speed. I think it's really just a question of weather the monte carlo will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird999 View Post
you know, i never really thought about it, but downforce is almost useless. just save money and stick rocks in the car to have actual weight, not artificial. jk, but it makes you think, don't it?
no. it doesn't. weight means slower acceleration and more lateral Gs (slower cornering speeds). downforce gives you the traction without the downsides.

"Where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?"
Subaru --- All We'll Drive
Member: NSW, USC, MNS, C4C. Founder/Owner: NCC
Old 04-17-2009, 06:18 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (8)

Porsche. I don't really like either greatly. Porsches are overpriced rich ***** cars for business executives to park in their reserved spots at work to bloat up their ego. Musclecars like the montecarlo are so heavy and most dont really don't have that much power stock, especially considering the weight and their handling is usually borderline pathetic.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:38 AM
MEOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action B View Post
Porsche. I don't really like either greatly. Porsches are overpriced rich ***** cars for business executives to park in their reserved spots at work to bloat up their ego. Musclecars like the montecarlo are so heavy and most dont really don't have that much power stock, especially considering the weight and their handling is usually borderline pathetic.
power is not a question with this montecarlo concidering it has a nascar drivetrain
Old 04-17-2009, 07:25 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action B View Post
Realize that Porsche has a long standing race heritage, with some incredible cars and suicide machines. And the Monte shares nothing mechanically with it's production based car.

So, your stereotypical opinions have nothing to do with the point of this thread.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:55 AM
the torqueinator

Send a message via AIM to kendallcschm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbchux View Post
I voted porsche since it has more power, less weight, better aero, revs higher (doesn't say, but bore/stroke are closer to the same, which typically means higher rev limit).

But, the chevy has the advantage in top speed due to gearing. at their hp peak rpm (redline not listed), due to the larger tires on the monte carlo, the porsche is almost 35mph slower. if the straights on the track in question are long enough to allow the monte carlo to get up beyond ~230mph (7800 rpm in 5th is 226...), the porsche probably won't be able to post a higher maximum speed, since it really was designed for short, technical courses, not top speed runs.

although, even if the monte carlo can reach a higher max, I bet the porsche still puts down a faster lap time. Wider tires, lighter wheels, bigger brakes, better suspension....yea.

if the track wasn't an oval .. if it was weavier then the porsche would own.. but cause its an oval.. i think the monte carlo will win

'65 Drag Mustang

mods to be made:
pro street rims
some sort of suspension upgrade (message me if you have suggestions)
soft drag slicks

Titan:

mods to be made:
CF driveshaft
composite driveshaft gears
Old 04-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird999 View Post
i picked the monte carlo. if it's in a magazine, the obvious answer is wrong. that's my reasoning.
+1

Nobody mentioned handling yet? The magazine doesn't post actual suspension settings, but I think the Porsche will have a harder time staying straight and the steering response will be too snappy for an oval track.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:28 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (13)

Why in the name of god do all of you think the Monte is a muscle car?

Newsflash: IT'S NOT!

I am rooting for the Monte myself though.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:09 PM
MEOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ling427ttvette View Post
Why in the name of god do all of you think the Monte is a muscle car?

Newsflash: IT'S NOT!

I am rooting for the Monte myself though.
true these kids need to do some history reading. They quit building muscle cars after 1969ish. However you might consider a 1994-96 Impala SS as modern muscle.