Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Modification
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 01-25-2010, 12:01 AM
drifter and engineer

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

i think maybe we could design a chassis that would allow the mounting of two evo rearboxes on the front and the back? then create a steering mechanism and new "front" lower arms to turn the front rearbox (coupled to evo knuckles and a possibility for a MA-10 knuckle conversion)? you'd be able to have shaftless, beltless 4wd if you wanted or have FR or F-AWD or FF plus the standard posibilities for drivetrain layout
Old 01-25-2010, 12:08 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Weight and the problem of two motors spinning separately. Unless they were perfectly matched you'd run into the problem of one trying to outrun the other, would make for some interesting handling, to say the least.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 01-25-2010, 12:37 AM
XMS moderator

Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via MSN to tayyab

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
the problem of two motors spinning separately. Unless they were perfectly matched
that's where patternwinding comes in.... as for the weight...something could be worked out.

but the idea for a car is overkill, maybe on a truck...

Later, T.I.M
Old 01-25-2010, 01:20 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Indeed, but there is no such thing as a perfect match, that is the issue.

Especially since one motor will be in reverse rotation. If I'm not mistaken, you'd have to reclock the comms to give full power in reverse.

The way I defeated this problem with the DMX was to have the wheels share a common axle, and also a pair of gears in the gear box. So both motors were mechanically linked so one couldn't out run the other.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 01-25-2010 at 01:27 AM..
Old 01-25-2010, 01:29 AM
drifter and engineer

true. but with the shaft, you'd then be able to do a Front motor drivetrain .might be interesting to have FR for once.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:31 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

I think the point of the two motors was to be shaftless.

Color0 did a FR xmod many years ago. One of his earliest drift machines!

Old 01-25-2010, 01:38 AM
drifter and engineer

well, the rpm discrepancies may not be too significant to cause a problem other than fast tire-wear. and higher topspeeds could be possible since there's essentially 2 rwd drivetrains powering the same car. so lack of torque would be less of an issue
Old 01-25-2010, 01:46 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Straight line, not really an issue. But imagine in corners where the rear motor is stronger than the front, and vica-versa.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:12 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Has anyone ever made a true LSD for the Evo?

Old 01-25-2010, 09:08 PM
drifter and engineer

maybe we could possibly have a clutch-type lsd? friction material and a metal plate in addition to the diff gears?
other than that, worm gears might be plausible but idk if we'd be able to find those gears in the right size

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
Straight line, not really an issue. But imagine in corners where the rear motor is stronger than the front, and vica-versa.

maybe we could have a micro-gyro like the dNano calibrated to steering so i know how much the car is supposed to steer and then regulate the motors so it could reduce voltage to the appropriate motor to get the grip back? like, active awd traction control?

Last edited by XMDrifter; 01-25-2010 at 09:12 PM..
Old 01-25-2010, 10:08 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMDrifter View Post
maybe we could possibly have a clutch-type lsd? friction material and a metal plate in addition to the diff gears?
other than that, worm gears might be plausible but idk if we'd be able to find those gears in the right size

maybe we could have a micro-gyro like the dNano calibrated to steering so i know how much the car is supposed to steer and then regulate the motors so it could reduce voltage to the appropriate motor to get the grip back? like, active awd traction control?
A clutch type would not be too hard to make.

I don't know about the dnano's stuff, can't say but maybe hitting that point of "why?".

I brought up a few disadvantages (complexity, motor syncing, friction loss, weight), but what are the pluses? Besides double the torque (allow for a pair of very low turn motors to still be able to accelerate to speed on the ground), what would be the advantages to it?

In a crawler it would be good if you could gear down the motors enough. They're not fast enough for a speed difference to effect it.

One other dual motor setup from a few years back was a gen-1 pan chassis that had motors set up on either side of the drive shaft, like a propulse and other 1/10 dual motor trucks. But I can't for the life of me remember who offered it.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:12 PM
drifter and engineer

oh well. i'll finish up drawing sketches of a design for a RAZR style xmod and post them. the only custom parts would be the chassis plates, front/rear diff housings, center main gear, motor mount, hs55 servo links, and the center driveshaft. the rest would be ma10 or xmod stuff.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:34 PM
Light Modder

Quote:

Gyro would be cool, but it would be very costly, gyros for 1/10s are like $150+ and the mini z gyros are like $80, all the gyro does is sense the sway in motion then counter act that with the servo, would a heli gyro work?
Old 01-26-2010, 06:50 PM
drifter and engineer

the heli gyros control either the tail pitch serve or the tail motor to increase or decrease the torque-countering thust and help the heli stay straight. when command inputs are put in, the gyro also senses what the input should do and what the heli is actually doing and helps stabilize there too.

edit: here's a sketchof my chassis idea:

there'd be a center diff(truck diff modified to work with a pulley)
and 2 awd front-diffs. 18 of the big sized bearings and it would use front knuckles all around for the possibility of changing both front and rear toe angles. the center drive gears would just be shortened normal awd center gears on axle stubs that have the threads chopped off

what'd you think? too much work? too complex? or something other than that?
i think a center diff would be interesting cuz then you'd have a more precise awd more along the lines of the sti's and evo's and rs4's and stuff

Last edited by XMDrifter; 01-26-2010 at 09:31 PM..
Old 01-26-2010, 10:05 PM
noob customizer

Trader Rating: (3)

nice sketch.. In theory it would work. The differences in weight of the batteries and motor set-up would play a killer on distribution when it comes to actually driving it.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:14 PM
Light Modder

NICE sketch, btw how is the Drop-In crawler motor coming for you guys working on it?
Old 01-26-2010, 10:18 PM
Working Class Hero

Trader Rating: (32)
Send a message via MSN to TripleXmodder(akaXXX)

Not sure who else is working on one besides Tayab and myself, but as far as myself I haven't ordered any parts yet.... I know everything I need but just need to order and assemble.

XXX FREE modding Service: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17800
PM me for a quote or any questions. HAPPY MODDING

100% Positive Itrader feedback http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/itrader.php?u=6901
Old 01-26-2010, 10:50 PM
That's what she said.

Trader Rating: (1)

Quote:
the heli gyros control either the tail pitch serve or the tail motor to increase or decrease the torque-countering thust and help the heli stay straight. when command inputs are put in, the gyro also senses what the input should do and what the heli is actually doing and helps stabilize there too.

and 2 awd front-diffs. 18 of the big sized bearings and it would use front knuckles all around for the possibility of changing both front and rear toe angles. the center drive gears would just be shortened normal awd center gears on axle stubs that have the threads chopped off

i think a center diff would be interesting cuz then you'd have a more precise awd more along the lines of the sti's and evo's and rs4's and stuff
Not sure if its just me, but this seems like a concept people use in DIY micro-crawlers, only in car form.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:26 PM
Light Modder

I think it only looks like that because the center diff has 2 drive shafts instead of 1 long one like the 1/10s and the upper driveshaft looks like a telescoping shaft. Its probably just the unevenness of the sketch, all sketches have it.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:32 PM
Banned

Trader Rating: (14)

Quote:

Thats just plain complex to me, but plain professional. Did my noob work inspire you? Seems like Gen 1 assemblies.