Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2009, 12:36 AM
Forum Idiot

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via AIM to Sweed Send a message via Yahoo to Sweed
Default Overheating/Radiator Hose Leaking

I was driving home today, and I had the high beams on. Just wired up the sidemarkers, but I haven't driven the car in three weeks. Had an oil change and fluids topped up after it was painted (dad took it to a shop to have it done). The needle for the water temp went 70% of the way up (cruising at 35mph, but was just accelerating from a stand still), shut the high beams off (didn't need them) and the temp dropped to like 50% right away.

Did that twice, got on the highway (70mph, cruising), stayed fine. Got off the highway, slowed down (10mph) around a round about. Half way around the needle was way up. It went down shortly when I got up to speed (35mph). Slowed down again to park at my house, and it went up again.

Popped the hood, the fans weren't running. About a minute later, the fan (pass.side) kicked in, but the temp stayed up. If I turn the AC on, the fan on the drivers side comes on. But turn the AC off, turn the car off. I heard a hissing noise, and there was steam coming out from the thermostat/lower rad house around the thermostat area. Did that for maybe five minutes, and stopped.

I checked the overflow tank, it was quite full. Poured it out to half way between the min/max lines. Blue-ish liqued. Not sure if it was the anti-freeze/coolant or if someone mistakenly put window washer fluid in, since it's the same blue-ish color as my window washer fluid.

I have a 330 mile drive in about eight hours. What do you recomend I do? Park it and take another car or change the rad cap and top off the radiator? I don't have time for anything major. And I'll be doing 1000 miles driving the next two days.

Car is a 91 CRX dx, stock motor. Radiator recently replaced, along with hoses and thermostat.
"Save us, oh lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen"