Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Modification
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 03-23-2007, 05:28 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25
Talking [13:1] Crawler Project (it's now an S10) video pg 6

Lots of ideas will be stuffed into this one. numbchux's method to mount a motor transversely (Ive had an idea on how to, but never bought a truck to mess with, his truck filled in the holes in my idea), stablilizing the rear end, lots o torque, and maybe a slightly different, Hummer.Not to mention this nice little gear box.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 05-25-2007 at 12:40 AM..
Old 03-23-2007, 06:06 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)

sounds cool, you should put a winch on this thing, that would make it a crazy crawler!

Old 03-23-2007, 11:53 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (6)

and maybe a huge lift

Old 03-24-2007, 12:05 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-z drift View Post
and maybe a huge lift

Little hints for you guys for now.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 03-24-2007, 10:17 AM
Advance member

Send a message via MSN to Andrew7447

ya that gear box is not going to fit lol unless you do some super mod.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:56 PM
Rethink It All

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to RedSXmodder Send a message via MSN to RedSXmodder

Thats the point. Super modding rules, it beats the crap out of slapping on an RS lift kit and showing off your 1 better then stock ride.

Texan. I don't like guessing games. Think about how you and sweed felt in Cowboys thread on XMW, lol...

Later,
RedSXmodder

Team Redmade Motors- Building Motors that rise above the rest!

Rethink It All
Old 03-24-2007, 05:56 PM
Forum Idiot

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via AIM to Sweed Send a message via Yahoo to Sweed

Felt? All it would do is take some minor probing of him on GSR....

Looks like I didn't get the Hummer. They're still $39.99 at RS near me.. Maybe tomarow. I wanna start modding... For now, I've just made a version of cowboy's suspension... I'm gonna start on that... But I'm going to my friends house.... His mom is.......

Any updates? Pictures? The people like eyecandy, and it's.... Inspiring to work on my car(s), and fix my DA...

.....making dinner, so I want dinner....
"Save us, oh lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen"
Old 03-24-2007, 06:41 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Eye candy, ok.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:31 PM
The Daywalker

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to Numbchux Send a message via MSN to Numbchux Send a message via Yahoo to Numbchux

you're going to be very hard-pressed to gear the motor into the driveshaft using a hummer chassis spacer. there's barely enough on the F150 spacer without losing the bearing (which is essential in maintaining mesh between the pinion and ring gears).

with that worm gear on the end of that reduction box, I'd actually try to mount it so that it gears into the 3rd unit much like the stock one does.

"Where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?"
Subaru --- All We'll Drive
Member: NSW, USC, MNS, C4C. Founder/Owner: NCC
Old 03-24-2007, 11:14 PM
Elite member

wow, all these crawlers being built, maybe we need a crawler section on this board?!? I can't wait to start my new one. The first one was a beast... Now I know a lot more, so the new one should be awesome! Maybe not as cool as your custom gearbox crawler, but my airplane motor/gearing will give it a good run...
Old 03-24-2007, 11:23 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Well the gear box has to be changed up too, yes n'chuck. I was looking at that last night, figured out how to do it. That worm geas has to go, but in its place, a pinion would fit perfectly where you make your cut. then that whole cover around the worm gear can be mounted 180*around to open up the bottom end. other than that, it mounts pefectly into the suspension plates screw holes.

Id like to use the worm gear to my advantage, but I havent really thought out a way to make it work on the rear end. Maybe have some gearing drop down where the motor is now, and mesh at the exposed part of the gear that drives the diff.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:01 AM
Elite member

you could CA glue another worm gear directly to the drive shaft. You'd need to move the electronics so the motor could be mid-mounted, though... Actually, if you got big enough tires, you could mount the motor UNDER the chassis and tap into the driveshaft that way. You'd need some pretty big tires to make up for the loss in clearance, though.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:12 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Good idea if this worm was bigger. Ill get better shots of it tomarrow. But this worm isnt low enough. Ive already pretty much have every single part I need to mount it like chux did. And got the dremel parts tonight. So tomarrow I might start cutting away.

Im trying for a scale look, not like chuxs. Looking for some good 1/24 scale tires for now. So an under mounted idea isnt for me.

Great ideas though, Id like to see more ideas for this box, though my plans are fairly dead set. One other person was interested in it.

Any way to fix the rear gears from skipping? It sounds like now and then my rear drive shaft pinion doenst catch the 3rd gear. So I was thinking adding a thin washer to push it against the 3rd gera more.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:18 PM
The Daywalker

Send a message via AIM to Numbchux Send a message via MSN to Numbchux Send a message via Yahoo to Numbchux

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
Any way to fix the rear gears from skipping? It sounds like now and then my rear drive shaft pinion doenst catch the 3rd gear. So I was thinking adding a thin washer to push it against the 3rd gera more.
stuff something in here (I like to use a little piece of paper towel):

that helps keep enough pressure between the 3rd unit gear and the pinion.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Forum Idiot

Texan, real quick... How much clearance (in mm) is there under the stock axel in the centre and under the knuckles, with the tires your using?
Old 03-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Sweed, its about 15mm to the bottom of the skid plate, and 7mm to the bottom of the knuckle. Its with the liftkit and liftkit tires.

Thanks cux, Ill try that. Now that Im home, and got the dremel parts I need, Ill start tonight. And I got some steel plates from an old battle bots to make into some skit plates and such. I used a whole plate to make a skidplate on that old RS enforcer before. And these are a couple of small rectangles, so cutting them down is easy.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:52 PM
Forum Idiot

Jus' got mine today. You're right. The lift kit gives it quite some lift... It's wierd.. I lost one of the lift kit wheels though. Looks Like I gotta find another one if I wanna crawl... The AWD is kinda painful to install...

What bearins are you using? The RS ones, or?

I'm looking at mine now, and I hate how the springs sit. It's just ugly. When I get money, I'll show you what I want to do... Kingpins..
Old 03-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Take the front ones out, and stretch them out about 2-3 mm and it helps with the squating. makes them a bit stiffer.

Im gonna use some sealed ones, not the RS. But man, that awd sucks alotta the peppyness from the truck. I have to amit that the Hummer was fun stock. Did wheelies too. And grease up the front gears before you stick it all back together.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:41 AM
The Daywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
Take the front ones out, and stretch them out about 2-3 mm and it helps with the squating. makes them a bit stiffer.

Im gonna use some sealed ones, not the RS. But man, that awd sucks alotta the peppyness from the truck. I have to amit that the Hummer was fun stock. Did wheelies too. And grease up the front gears before you stick it all back together.
IMHO bearings are a MANDATORY upgrade with the 4WD kit on the trucks. the bushings are just junk by comparison.

also, that'll help clean up some slop in your driveshaft, which will help some with the gear mesh in the rear.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:52 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Yeh, its killing me right now. What Im doing for the time being is taking a bit off the pinion, and adding a washer behind the bushing. The papertowl trick worked for a short while. And Its mandatory for me too.