Old 01-23-2008, 07:59 AM
MSI <3

Trader Rating: (2)
Default the official rice-spotting thread

Old 01-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Forum Idiot

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via AIM to Sweed Send a message via Yahoo to Sweed

Before you guys start this rice thing, I want a good paragraph about what rice is, cuase you guys can't tell it apart. Cuase I can bring up some cars that suit the requirements for rice, but are far from it. I happen to own one such car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird999 View Post
Ghey.
"Save us, oh lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen"
Old 01-23-2008, 01:08 PM
Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Before you guys start this rice thing, I want a good paragraph about what rice is, cuase you guys can't tell it apart. Cuase I can bring up some cars that suit the requirements for rice, but are far from it. I happen to own one such car.

Ghey.
My definition of ricer is a car that has more money spent on the appearance than the performance. Putting wheels on a honda doesn't make it a ricer; putting wheels/vinyls/sponsors(that you don't have) and a great big aluminum wing with cold air and exhaust is a ricer. Then there is always the show-car, where the car simply has a nice paint/bodywork but to me that is not rice because it is not presented as fast.

Ricer is like the prelude I ran into Monday, body kit, large wing , exhaust and still slow.

That is just my opinion tho.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (13)

You guys want a definition of rice?

I am a regular at www.anti-rice.com

Go there, read the main page, look at the galleries, if you like it.. join up on the forums.

My definition:

Any modification that is purely for looks and has absolutely no performance gain what so ever. IE: Body kits, spoilers, neons, fart cans, big wheels, decals, performace stickers on the car, when the parts aren't even installed..

Rice really cannot have a certain definition, because everyone looks at it differently.. but most can agree on a general definition of tacky, and stupid looking is rice.

Why do you guys think I did what I did to my NSX Xmod? It was riced like a mo-fo. As are alot of Xmods here...

Edit: I would like to say that cars built purely for show, are rice. They don't get used for anything other than to look at.

Edit: Sweed, your car has very, very mild rice. Clear corners aren't too bad since the car is white, but amber would look better, the wheels are too big, but you are changing them anyway.. and the exhaust could be excuseable if it is an actual performance exhaust and not just a muffler.

Last edited by ling427ttvette; 01-23-2008 at 01:22 PM..
Old 01-23-2008, 02:04 PM
is here

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to Stampedekid Send a message via MSN to Stampedekid

I give you the "Poser"
Old 01-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Stage 1 member

Trader Rating: (0)

"Any modification that is purely for looks and has absolutely no performance gain what so ever. IE: Body kits, spoilers, neons, fart cans, big wheels, decals, performace stickers on the car, when the parts aren't even installed.."

Bigger wheels can make the unsprung weight lower thus helping performance. They also mean lower profile tires which also help performance. Body kits and spoilers can help aerodymanics as well. Then again for on the road all that is pretty moot.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:52 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky7 View Post
"Any modification that is purely for looks and has absolutely no performance gain what so ever. IE: Body kits, spoilers, neons, fart cans, big wheels, decals, performace stickers on the car, when the parts aren't even installed.."

Bigger wheels can make the unsprung weight lower thus helping performance. They also mean lower profile tires which also help performance. Body kits and spoilers can help aerodymanics as well. Then again for on the road all that is pretty moot.
I should have been more clear. I had 17" wheels on my Camaro, bigger than stock, gained performance, and no rice..

But, had I put 19's or bigger on there, that would have been too big. I would have had too little tire, and it would look stupid. 17" are about the biggest anyone should go if they are looking for performance.

The B1GDude, that RX-7 has a majorly ricey wing on it, and a very ricey body kit also.

That car is a ricer..
Old 01-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Stage 1 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ling427ttvette View Post
I should have been more clear. I had 17" wheels on my Camaro, bigger than stock, gained performance, and no rice..

But, had I put 19's or bigger on there, that would have been too big. I would have had too little tire, and it would look stupid. 17" are about the biggest anyone should go if they are looking for performance.

The B1GDude, that RX-7 has a majorly ricey wing on it, and a very ricey body kit also.

That car is a ricer..
Just because it has a body kit and a wing on it doesnt make it a ricer. A ricer has no performance upgrades on them, and only have the apperance of being fast.

You can not make an rx7 a ricer!
Old 01-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Xmod Expert

Quote:

That car is a ricer..
Funny thing is, the OEM spoiler for a 99+ RX-7 looks almost exactly like it. You can't say its rice if it came with the car (this case, its aftermarket, but it keeps the same lines as the OEM one).

The spoiler on this 7 isn't any smaller than the one in B1G's pic. This must also mean that Impreza STi's and Lan Evo's are ricers. As per the body kit, its much cleaner than the body kit you'll most likely see in 85% of the modified teenage-owned Civics/Integras you'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackevo01titan View Post
You can not make an rx7 a ricer!
Yes you can. You just haven't seen it. Remember, there's a couple thousand (hundred thousand may be?) RX-7s around. What are the chances that at least one of them is riced out?
Old 01-23-2008, 03:23 PM
Xmod Expert

My definition of automotive rice - Any vehicle which has been modified only for cosmetic looks (usually tasteless style), but lacking in performance. This definition is semi-right, because there are people who have balls-out performance (500 or 900HP vehicles), but have absolutely NO taste in clean cosmetics.

Most people call rice any Asian import vehicle, but thats not true. Of course, you'd probably find out that most definitions of rice ARE any form of Asian import vehicle, just like the definitions in UD, but these definitions were written by REAL ricers to make their vehicles look less bad, and put some weight on those who drive stock or performance-oriented.

My native () definition of rice is food.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Cloud 9

Trader Rating: (8)

(Ricer: from the latin word Ricarius meaning to suck at everything you attempt)

A person who makes unecessary modifications to their most often import car (hence the term "rice") to make it (mostly make it look) faster. The most common modifications are (but not limited to):

- Huge exhaust that serves no purpose but to make the car louder
- Large spoiler on the back that looks like something Boeing made for the 747
- Lots of after-market company stickers they don't have parts from, but must be cool
- Expensive rims that usually cost more than the car itself
- Bodykit to make the car appear lower, usually accented with chicken wire
- Clear tail lights and corner signals
- A "performace intake"- a tube that feeds cold air to their engine usually located in areas of excessive heat (behind or on top of the engine)
- Most of these riced cars (a.k.a. rice rockets or rice burners) are imports; Honda Civics, Accords, Integras, CRXs, RSXs, Del Sols Mitsubishi Eclipses, Lancers, Subaru Imprezas, however there are some domestics such as Chevrolet Caviliers, Dodge Neons, Ford Focus; small, slow, economy cars designed specifically to go slow. Please note that some Supras, Skylines, WRX's and other higher performance imports are designed to go fast, and are therfore not always considered rice. It really depends on the severity of the case.

The "ricer" attempts to make their car "performance" by adding the modifications listed above. These ricers are not confined to any one ethnic group or color, however different ethnic groups are known for certain styles.

Honda Civics with big spoilers and 4" exhaust tips are considered to be ricers.

Last edited by jabari; 01-23-2008 at 03:29 PM..
Old 01-23-2008, 03:37 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Trader Rating: (24)
Send a message via AIM to TheB1GDude Send a message via MSN to TheB1GDude

Not a ricer:

Very big ricer:

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 01-23-2008, 03:48 PM
is here

Send a message via AIM to Stampedekid Send a message via MSN to Stampedekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheB1GDude View Post
Not a ricer:

Very big ricer:

Haha, that's a big one. When I think of rice, I think of food. Did you see the "Poser" that I posted before.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:50 PM
Stage 1 member

yea, everyone says my car is a ricer. But alot of people I dont think really know what a ricer is.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:42 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (12)

how about this...if you're gonna post "ricer" pictures. They have to been pictures YOU have taken. Not crap you copied and pasted from google or another website.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:47 PM
That's what she said.

I'm not so sure if you'd call this a ricer. I was walking with my dad and had to take a fast picture. I found this in San Fransisco:

Old 01-23-2008, 07:39 PM
Elite member

Blackevo1, how is a body kit and wing a "performance upgrade"?

Most body kits are designed solely with looks in mind, and most generally wings are the same way, they aren't designed for more downforce. And besides, when should a street driven car need downforce on the rear? Especially a FWD car?

REDisFASTER, there is a such thing as factory rice. Take the Scions for example, you can buy them pre-riced. The Cobalt SS/SC wing is factory rice, the STI's and EVO wings, the big ones, are factory rice.

Factory does not keep it from being rice, if it is an aesthetic modification that has absolutely no benefit to the performance or handling of the vehicle, it's rice. Added by the owner or from the factory, it does not matter.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Stage 1 member

Quote:
Blackevo1, how is a body kit and wing a "performance upgrade"?

Most body kits are designed solely with looks in mind, and most generally wings are the same way, they aren't designed for more downforce. And besides, when should a street driven car need downforce on the rear? Especially a FWD car?

REDisFASTER, there is a such thing as factory rice. Take the Scions for example, you can buy them pre-riced. The Cobalt SS/SC wing is factory rice, the STI's and EVO wings, the big ones, are factory rice.

Factory does not keep it from being rice, if it is an aesthetic modification that has absolutely no benefit to the performance or handling of the vehicle, it's rice. Added by the owner or from the factory, it does not matter.
I didnt say the body and wing were performance. Riced is were there are no performance parts on them and most likely that RX& has performance modification.

And that is a very nice a clean body kit and wing.

And the rx7 is a RWD car not FWD.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Xmod Expert

Quote:

Ehh... Wouldn't consider them factory rice, IMO. Take the spoiler off of a 93-01 RX-7, you'll see, the car looks lacking without it. Put it back on, then you'll see the reason why its there. Yes, its for aesthetic value, but without it, the car looks under developed. Seen a Mazda MX-6 Mystère? It never came without a spoiler. It was standard. Why? Because if you take it off, the car just looks dumb... Would you rather have a 'clean' looking car, or an under-developed ugly POS?

I don't know... I think its just our opinions. You seem to prefer American cars from the '70s era, where barely anyone except people who owned the Plymouth Superbird had spoilers. In the Superbird's case, its not a spoiler anymore, its a full-fledged wing. Let me ask you this, do you think the Plymouth Superbird is rice?

Quote:
And, clean looking doesn't keep it from being rice, no matter how nice it might look.. if there is no performance enhancement, it is considered rice.
That's YOUR opinion. This is an opinionated discussion. There is no right and wrong answer. There's people here who like American muscle, with bold lines, while someone may think its boring, old, outdated, looks ugly. There's also people here who like clean looking imports with 'suction cup'-style bodykits that emphasize the car's original lines. Others thing its 'rice', but then again, thats their opinion.

In my opinion, American cars are usually bland and boring, while Asian imports are curvy and sometimes too fancy. European cars fit in between. They have great looks, and performance to boot.

Last edited by REDisFASTER; 01-23-2008 at 08:02 PM..
Old 01-23-2008, 08:12 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (7)
Send a message via AIM to monsterhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDisFASTER View Post
Ehh... Wouldn't consider them factory rice, IMO. Take the spoiler off of a 93-01 RX-7, you'll see, the car looks lacking without it. Put it back on, then you'll see the reason why its there. Yes, its for aesthetic value, but without it, the car looks under developed. Seen a Mazda MX-6 Mystère? It never came without a spoiler. It was standard. Why? Because if you take it off, the car just looks dumb... Would you rather have a 'clean' looking car, or an under-developed ugly POS?
very good question REDisFASTER "would you want an under developed POS or a nice looking car" that example is the same wit EVO's and STI's they look very undeveloped with out that wing on there, i may only be 15 but i know what im talking about, i have seen EVO 8's with out the wing and they look very under developed, same with the STI's the wing in there for performance and looks it complets the car but this is just my opinion.

Quote:
ling427ttvette I know the RX7 is RWD, it was an example.

And, clean looking doesn't keep it from being rice, no matter how nice it might look.. if there is no performance enhancement, it is considered rice.

And, performance upgrades do not keep a car from being rice. The car could have 2000hp and run a 6 second 1/4 mile, if it had a 3 foot non functional spoiler, neon underglow, 22" wheels, and the stupidest looking body kit ever.. it would be rice, just fast rice.
fast rice? i don't know what you mean by this considering even you your self have said that a "ricer" is a car with out performance mods and just visual, so taking ths are you basically saying that a track car suck as skyline and such with a decent size wing and a body kit would be considered a "ricer?"