Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 10-09-2009, 01:17 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Trader Rating: (24)
Send a message via AIM to TheB1GDude Send a message via MSN to TheB1GDude
Default Ms. B1Gs New Ride

So when I got the Mustang we traded in our Explorer SUV and the wife went with a 01 VW Beetle, it served us well but after a few near death experiences in the PA winter months and the fact that it burned through tires like nothing we figured it was time to go back to something a little bigger, with AWD and decent ground clearance.

So at the start of the year we put the Beetle up sale and finally two weeks ago we got confirmation that a buyer would take it.... they looked at it back in March but disappeared off the radar as they couldn't sell their own car, they still haven't sold it but decided to take the Beetle anyway.

So because we knew someone was loosely interested we started looking into what was available we went through numerous big SUV's... Expedition, Suburban, Tahoe, what she started to realize was that these trucks where just to big for her to want to drive on a daily basis so we dropped down a size and started looking at the Explorer, Edge, Cayenne.

We came across a used 06 Cayenne and it really interested her but because it was an 06 it's warranty was almost up and for those who don't know with a Porsche when you hit 40,000 miles you have to have a $1000 full service done on the vehicle, so as nice as it was it just didn't make sense financially to buy a $32000 car that was 3 years old and would immediately need another $1000 putting into it plus they want you to buy the extended warranty and the price just shoots up.

The Edge had great lease and finance offers going on it but she hated it, also it's really uncomfortable for me to drive so we took it off the list.

The Explorer we took off the list because we've already had one and know what there faults are.

By chance we stopped at a VW dealership to look if they had any newer Porsche Cayenne's available, all they had was a 2008 used Cayenne Turbo for $75,000 which is a little over my top price range but whilst walking the lot we came across a 2009 VW Tiguan, we had originally discounted it for being to small but as it turns out its the same size as the Edge.

We grab a sales person and looked over the car, it was a factory demo with just over 2000 miles on it, always owned by VW of America and only title to them, it had 2 1/2 years of factory warranty on it plus it was certified by the dealer which gave it another 2 years, it comes with a protection package for the rims and tires, windshield and body, so if we wreck a rim or the glass cracks we can take it in for replacement / repair.

Its the top of the range SEL model so it has touch screen Nav, 7 disc CD changer, DVD, panoramic roof, because its an original demo model the only thing it doesn't have it the memory seats or leather and the reason for that is because leather and memory seats weren't originally offered as an option they were added at a later date but to be honest neither of us are concerned about leather we could have had them dealer installed but its already a $37,000 car new so we didn't see the point.

Now for the price... the dealer had only had it a few weeks, it was listed at $30,900 and they had just taken $1000 off when we went in they said they would give it to us for $27,000 plus throw in a set of all weather monstermats and because its an 09 we also get 3 years of free service... which was an offer we couldn't really walk away from because the cars already lost its first years of depreciation and if we wanted to sell it all the warranty stuff is transferable so we could easily make what we paid for it.

So here it is:

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan
2.0L Turbocharged engine
200HP
Automatic w/ Tiptronic semi-auto shift
Sports mode which changes the shift points and throttle response
Touch Screen Nav.
DVD
7 Disc CD change
iPod Input
Panoramic Roof

Being German it drives so nicely and being part of Porsche it has many of the same features, it also more responsive than the V6 Cayenne and I'm not going to lie in the Sport mode its quick.... we did a little rolling start run last night, I missed my second gear change in the Mustang and it was off.... had to really rely on my 3rd gear V8 torque to get back ahead

Engines still a bit of a mystery because when you open the hood all you see it this:

But I've been looking at parts for them and you can get air intakes and tunes that boost the power quite significantly because its based on the same platform as the GTI you can get tons of power mods and be at 300HP pretty quickly, I don't think the wife is really going to let me mess with it but we shall see what happens

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 10-09-2009, 02:07 PM

Trader Rating: (22)
Send a message via AIM to 123Vette Send a message via Yahoo to 123Vette

good score!

not a huge fan of their looks tho... but for your purposes it shall be perfect!

the interiors all cloth or leather and cloth?
Old 10-09-2009, 02:11 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Its a crossover so angle wise it is a little odd in places but its way better than something like this ugly beast of a crossover that another dealer tried to get us into:

Plus its full of toys

The interior is all cloth... we can go back to the dealer and get upgraded to leather seats for a few grand which we might do in future because you can get seats with screens in the headrests that hook up to the dvd system, if we still have this and there are mini-B1Gs running around that might be a bonus....

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 10-09-2009, 03:53 PM
XMS Moderator

Trader Rating: (14)

Man B1G thats a nice ride.I need to get a job were you work man my wife loves vws
Old 10-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Subaru Nut

Trader Rating: (7)

Wow man congrats on the new ride looks great
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
You can't fix stupid.
MY TUTORIALS
SNOW PLOW
HUMMER DROP HITCH
DULLY TIRE TUT
Old 10-09-2009, 06:07 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)

A lot of people hate the tiptronic (same exact as the steptronic in my car) but I love it. Different shift feeling than any other automatic but is so much more advanced than any regular auto. Does some neat things that you dont really realize until you have driven it for a while. The whole "adaptive memory" is pretty awesome.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:11 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

I drive it in sport mode rather than tiptronic just because its faster...

Just found out it has a 30GB media hard drive...

Old 10-09-2009, 07:17 PM
XMS Administrator

Actually the transmission is a tiptronic, sport mode is just a different program the ECU uses for shifting. It's adaptive, so whoever drives it most is how it will behave. You can trick it though which is neat once in a while.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:31 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Oh ok I thought the tiptrionic was the semi-auto shift mode part of it not the whole thing, the wife doesn't like it in sport mode says its to fast for her

Old 10-09-2009, 09:48 PM
XMS Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

Awesome score! Love the color, too.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."