Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 08-06-2009, 01:23 PM
is awesome

Trader Rating: (5)
Default camaro help

So as you know I own a 67 camaro and it time to rebuld the moter and I need to know what are some good performance cams and a good cheap carb. Also if I should do a gold with black top or bubble bee theme. I already have a cowl hood and spoiler.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

What motor do you have, heads, intake? What sort of performance are you looking at.?

Need to know that before we talk cams. Cam is one of the biggest deciding factors at where the SBC makes power.

Carb, go get a rebuilt Quadrajet 4bbl, and forget the factory carb haters. They just can't tune. The Quadrajet was GM's choice of carb for nearly 30 years for a reason. It's a spread bore style, meaning the primary throttle plates are a little bigger than a ping-pong ball. This means that it gets the fuel economy of a 2bbl carb at part throttle, with far, far better throttle response then most any aftermarket carb can give you, on the street. But, when you step into that last inch of gas pedal travel, and the coke-can sized secondaries open up, WATCH OUT!

It's a vacuum secondary so it never tries to flow more fuel than you need, and it has the ability to flow 750 CFM when needed, but won't "over carb" a stock motor at all (dumping too much fuel, trying to breath too much air). People don't like them because their a little more complex than a regular holly or edle. Some-what more difficult to do major tuning, but once you get the major stuff done (jetting if needed, float level), it's real easy to take care of the rest. their flexible, very reliable, and perfect for a street setup/strip setup.

Oh, and hitting those big secondaries makes a motor roar like a god damn T-Rex, it's like V-Tec for real engines.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 08-06-2009, 04:48 PM
is awesome

I have the stock 327 turbo jet that came with it 40 years ago. I sold my old heads I just want it to have a nice grumble. Maby have 350 hp nothing to bad I like the 327 more than the 350. I'm just trying to manly get a lot of torq

Last edited by 2jack3jack; 08-06-2009 at 04:58 PM..
Old 08-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Well why'd you do that? Stock heads work great with that motor.

There's too much to get into with cams, and I'm bad at explaining: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/ < These guys are engine building kings. Explain it all, what you want out of the motor (Street/ strip, high end HP like the 327s love, or low end torque), your budget. Some have a desktop dyno program that can run the setup and give you an estimate of engine HP.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 08-06-2009, 05:28 PM
is awesome

I just want to get 20mpg to be honest and I still have my orginal heads. I sold my performance heads

Last edited by 2jack3jack; 08-06-2009 at 05:38 PM..