Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Modification
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 07-23-2009, 07:12 PM
TopNotchStoner

Default Suspension

If you were to take say regular stock springs and stretch them out a LITTLE. And re install. im assuming it would make the suspension harder and stronger thus reducing traction and control. Now if i were to install yellow suspension springs on the front, and take the standard suspension springs and stretch them out and install on the back two wheels, would that benefit for drifting? I did not c anything about this in the drift bible.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:45 PM
XMS Admin

Trader Rating: (35)
Send a message via MSN to zippo855 Send a message via Yahoo to zippo855

it would give you some short term gain. they would eventually return to stock compression rate due to always being partially compressed. i believe if yoou mic'd the different springs you would find they are different thicknesses. as they are all preetty much the same length, that would be the only way to give youe you higher compression rates.

TEAM X.I.
my massive collection of xmods
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13526
Old 07-23-2009, 08:22 PM
TopNotchStoner

yeah i figured it would not stay forever. that is common sence. What about the steering tie rods. wouldnt one with say a 5-10 degree angle be better than one with a 0 degree angle for making sharp turns.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:06 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippo855 View Post
it would give you some short term gain. they would eventually return to stock compression rate due to always being partially compressed. i believe if yoou mic'd the different springs you would find they are different thicknesses. as they are all preetty much the same length, that would be the only way to give youe you higher compression rates.
The number of coils has a strong effect on spring rate. All a coil spring is, is a twisting rod when you think of it. And the longer the rod is (essentially, more coils), the softer it is. A shorter rod of the same thikness (less coils) would be stiffer, as there is less material to twist as the spring compresses... This is why chopping coils off car springs kills ride quality, because it ups the spring rate, sometimes dramatically. This is also how many racers (Indy, open wheel, even oval track) adjusted spring rates back in the earlier 1900s, when custom springs weren't available.

If you really wanted to get tricky, cut a coil off, and then stretch it a bit to regain length. This would effectively up the spring rate, making it stiffer.