View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Drift maniac

Trader Rating: (7)

I've been super busy with life but that hasn't stopped me from spending a whole day to rebuild my Gen 1 car

Also, i did something super tough, i converted my Gen 1 axles to fit MA-010 wheels! though i didn't have to, i might get MA-010 wheels in the future.

The trick is to not grind down too much. There isn't a stopping point like on the Evo stubs, so if you grind too much you can end up ruining the axles. I did it to my GPM ones too, just to make a few of you cry hehehe.

MINI TUT!!!!

Difficulty: 5/10 patience is key. check your work, DON'T RUSH!!!

The trick is to make a stopping point, so i took an old gen 1 knuckle and put a bearing and a yellow bushing on both sides and stuck the axle in to only expose the amount of axle i needed to grind off.

From there on its just like the Evo stubs, except its harder to hold on to, so it takes a lot longer because sometimes you need to adjust the position to grind it evenly. Very very tedious, So take your time!!!!!!!

Ta dah!

And if your having trouble holding it, try holding it like me, it keeps it pretty tight for most of the grinding. the dogbone part of the axle goes between your fingers btw cause you can't see it. Gotta kung fu grip it so it doesn't rotate!

Same thing for the rear, just take your time. Its hard

And test fit as usual, should be a no brainer. make sure its straight too, you grinded off too much if its lop-sided.

After about 1 hour of tediously doing this.........

I stripped the parts out of my old T-mod. Its out of commission loved it while it lasted. Also stripped down my project "lightweight" because i won't be finishing it. All parts combined and i got a nice gen 1. Took the time to center the servo too so it can track straight. it works really well, great on turning. For the body, I'm finally using the Lancer Evo IV body i converted a while back for Gen 1 cars, glad to finally drive it and drift it of course.

And did anyone ever have problems with the red suspension arms in the rear? i swear the left side is defective, cause everytime i have them in the left side causes binding, so i switched it to yellow. Spent so much time on the car today i didn't even want to take out the last red one lol

After about 2 hours of soldering, grinding, putting it together and taking it apart numerous times to figure out the binding issue, and centering the servo, here she stands. The lone Gen 1 xmod in my collection. Its no xmod collection if you don't have an original one with original electronics

And as a side note, my X-waver is getting a rebuild. My second conversion wasn't so neat, i never fixed it up, i just left it as it was. Now its falling apart, oh great.

^^fixing this and cleaning up a ton of stuff along with recording xmod drifting videos is going to take priority for now over my 350z project. Also I just recovered from an ankle injury i got from playing a ton of tennis. Been doing therapy for the past 3 weeks and I can finally get back to playing so that's gonna get in the way of things too.

So hopefully everything pans out as summer comes to an end. Ahh school is coming too, bummer

Team X.I.