View Single Post
Old 07-07-2007, 10:51 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSXmodder View Post
I did some searches on your capacitor trick, and I learned alot. But I have a few questions.

1) If the capacitor is farther away from the board, what are the negative effects? I don't think it'd be too noticeable, unless you really know the powers of the capacitor your using, right?

The closer to the source the better but you would likely never see a noticeable difference in this situation

2) The capacitor fills, and discharges, many times a second, is there a way that could cause jumpiness in response (lowering smoothness and control ever so slightly) or becuase its connected to the battery it would have nothing to do with it?

No...it does not fill and discharge many times a second. It fills when supplied with power and discharges when presented with a load (just like a rechargeable battery only much faster)
3) Say I wan't my xmod as smooth as a mini-Z, would putting capacitors on the battery, servo, and motor create excellent, smooth response?

4) Does the size of the capacitor create different filtering effects? I know that the bigger the one on the battery section would be better, but if you had a smaller one on the motor and servo would it still be able to filter as well or better then a bigger one, or is the bigger one better?

I think the problem you are getting to here is not the smoothness of the servo but glitches in the radio system

I know putting a capacitor on the servo wouldn't do much, since its only being used when that particular function has battery power going through it (along with the motor) but it still should filter electrical noise on the servo motor. Also, would you be able to put a capacitor near the board by the servo and use that as a torque effect, and then have a capacitor up on the motor acting as a filtering effect.

You couldnt use a cap for added torque on a servo as it would only charge when powered (you kinda answered this for yourself above)

I guess I'm kinda asking the same question over and over again, but, I'm learing alot about this whole thing...

Later,
RedSXmodder
I answered below each question...not quite sure how to do all the fancy quote in blocks stuff.