View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletsRain View Post
How do you tell if motor mounts or transmission mounts are bad?

Also how many transmission mounts are there? I got under the jeep and tried to shake everything down there.. and nothing moved or had any play. All the control arms felt solid, although the bushings will need to be replaced soon.
There's one trans mount, a transfer case mount (I think it's just one), and 2 motor mounts. You're not going to be able to check it with your bare hands. Power brake it with the hood up, and watch the motor. This is what a busted mount looks like:

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Not only does it jump up several inches, but you'll feel it land back down on the mount's bottom. It's more of an annoyance than anything else, it can't break out of the mount like oldschool motors (Old school Chevy V8s and their mounts were notorious for this, which brought on the common practice of chaining the engine to the frame just in case). It will eventually tear up the trans mounts though from flexing them around.

I wouldn't be surprised if your TC is making the clunking noise. Mine does if you jab the throttle hard while rolling at higher speeds. Said to be a loose chain. It seems like every time I do something, the suspension creaks more and more, but everything is still tight underneath, guess it needs a good greasing.

Also, you know what's ****ed up? Compact spares. Innocent little twig went into my sidewall. Then it became a mad dash to get back to the street and to a gas station so I could air it up and get hom.

This motorcycle tire is useless offroad.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 02-19-2011 at 04:17 PM..