View Single Post
Old 11-25-2006, 07:39 PM
All 6's and 7's

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via MSN to bondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbchux
not sure, as I've never used any of the others (not available unless I order them online....). but I've not been disapointed with the testors, the finish looks great. I'm not very hard on them, so it's hard to say on durability. but my chevy got used quite a bit over the last year, and I didn't clear coat over it, and only got a few chips here and there...
wel im guessing its close to the same composition as tamiya so ill put it under the tamiya acrylics.

BTW, any chance this one could be stickied?
its putting a good bit of paint info in one easy to read topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird74
lol, yeah if i ever really get into airbrushing, i would probably get a better one but this does what it's suppost to. my only problem is i'm not sure if i can use some of the other paints, many of the paints out there are very corrosive and i'm not sure what that would do to the plastic parts of a testors airbrush. testors paint can be pretty expensive
this one is getting into plastic compositions, the plastic that the gun is made from is the same as the model bodies(poly vinyl) so anything you can put on your body you can shoot through the airbrush.
the problem lies in clear plastics(poly styrene), if anyone has ever tried to paint their windows with rattlecan enamel(mostly acetone), they can tell you that it clouds the plastic because of the etching agent in the paint.
i will get a pic of a 3/4oz. polystyrene cup from my airbrush that has been eaten beyond use.
if you clean enamel paints from your plastic body airbrush use ONLY 100% mineral spirits(thinner)...no acetones or keytones(fingernail polish remover).

i use mainly enamels and acrylics,some alkyds.
the easiest to use by far is acrylic.
acrylic wont harm any plastic and is easily cleaned.
if you muck up and get a sag or run you can wash the paint off within the first 5 minutes.

if anyone has pics of quality paintjobs they have done with these or any other paint please post them and give a small product review.

cheers,
bondo