View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 12:21 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Hell, 90s used car problems in general-
Cadillac- 4.9 and early NorthStar motors are problematic too. They both eat head gaskets with age (with the Nstar pulling bolts out of the block), and both leak oil. GM has a tech note stating 1 quart of oil for every 1000-2000 miles is acceptable in the north star.
Chevy (and cousins)- 4bangers are meh at best. Quad 4s, while powerful, were ****. Common problems on the early compact cars (cavi, grand-am) were over heating, and they fall apart. V6s, the 3.1, 3.4, and the venerable 3.8 were very good engines in the long run. Basically, if you stay away from the 4bangers, the mid and full size cars are good running cars. And, you could get station wagons with Corvette based LT1s.
Ford- some cars had electrical problems, but main problem (in my experience) is maintenance work is difficult. Ford loved special bolts, tools, fittings etc. Started to drop the ball and became complacent with models. IMO the only cheap Ford worth buying is an ex-cop Crown Vic, or maybe the occasional Lincoln Mark VIII (beware of air suspension, $$$ to repair when the bags do fail)
Chrysler/Dodge- If it wasn't powered by their old V8s, it was usually ****ty. The Neon proved to be a good import fighter, dominated SCCA racing too, and was probably the most real reliable car from them at the time. Build quality was at an all time low. Benz and Mitsu were bad for the brand in the end.
Mitsubishi- DSMs, cheap econoboxes, disposable cars. In bed with Chrysler from the 80s
Honda- boring sedans, a few hot models. basic reliable transport
Toyota- killed any last signs of performance or cool. Cars generally reliable, but some of the most boring things you can buy on 4 wheels. Cheap.

This is all based on research, experience, independant mechanic (and friends of mine) observations and my own observations while searching for cheap DD's.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 10-06-2010 at 12:30 AM..