View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 11:50 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade. View Post
Reasoning behind all of your assumptions?

No ranting please. I would like to fully understand why you hate German vehicles so very much.

Also to note, please do not say 'Electrical problems in the Volkswagens' or any of that please. Its like a T.V. on repeat... Just never stops and only shows that there is nothing else to claim that a Volkswagen is utter garbage because of one item...

No vehicle is perfect, but if they get you from point a to point b with no problems then that is what they are for.

Hell, I'd drive a Ford for that, and I dislike Ford greatly...

Oh, and to make this a little more intresting... Atleast German cars aren't using leaf springs like the Corvette is.

But all in all, I would really like to know your reasoning behind the hatred towards German built vehicles... Without a rant?

Thanks Phillip.

Tom.
-Not assumptions, general problems on a model by model basis:

-BMWs, especially their larger models have problems. Their V8 and V12 models are iffy at best, and enjoy buying parts for them. The 80s I6 ones stand well, but like previously mentioned parts are more costly (then comparable era cars) and sometimes harder to find. Maintenance parts on the 90s and up is quite costly and often difficult.

-Mercedes Benz went to hell in the 90s. One of the more famous examples is their biodegradable wiring harnesses. Guess what those wires are doing 10-20 years later? They went from solidly engineered and rather simple cars like the venerable W123, to overengineering for the sake of it. Quality dropped like a rock in the 90s for them, and it shows.

-Electrical problems on a VW are very common. Ask an independent mechanic. Their habit of random electrical faults in the dash is mindblowing, and their long term reliability ratings are down by Suzuki.

-I won't even begin to rant on any British or Italian efforts (outside of the obvious supercars where things like long term reliability mean nothing). But, look up Stirling. BL managed to take a reasonably reliable Honda drivetrain, and give it British quality. The brand failed because of build quality problems.

-You just showed how blatantly ignorant you are, but do look up the advantages of a composite transverse leaf spring and why it was used in some Vettes. This isn't an S10 suspension.

Quote:
hmm, lol oh yea.... you dislike german but like japanese? i do remember toyota gave us a very good present on the prius. hmm what was it? oh yea! it was the amazing ability to stop and not get stuck at full throttle like a death trap would! yay! thanks japan!
Who said I like all Japanese? Where have I praised Toyota? And how the hell do you think I have approval for the Prius?

So far I've praised the 1st generation CRX, and the NA Miata, generally disregarded any other 90s FWD Jap car. You've taken my statement on Euro cars and concentrated on a few select German models because you are a BMW fanboi.

Arguing with ignorance gets no place boys. While many models are all great and fine while running, we're not talking about performance attributes. The ability to stay running and get parts cheaply is most important to a person on a budget in college. Neither of you can afford the cars you're defending, so I'd love to see the both of you go out and buy your respective fine, well used, German automobiles and live with them for a good while. And do so with less than $3,000. I'll see your Jetta and V12 Bimmers later.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 10-05-2010 at 11:57 PM..