Thread: Aston Martin
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 09:48 AM
aka xmod4life

Trader Rating: (9)
Send a message via AIM to Dr. Kustom Send a message via MSN to Dr. Kustom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravevolution View Post
As far as primer. . . some people would say just paint it being it's a stock body. But the problem that could happen is the paint won't stick on well to the body. So I say primer it.

I won't go too much into detail about prepping and painting your body, since there are some good tuts. and build/paint threads here in the forum about it

I would give the body a quick wash in a light detergent bath (get rid of oils and stuff that get on them when taken out of the molds) and let it air dry.

Don't need to mask things i feel. I can't tell from the pictures and don't have experience working with Mini-Z bodies so I can only assume the body doesn't come apart as in front and back bumpers/grill like a xmod does. If it does it helps to take it apart and spray it that way. Key part here when primer so things don't thicken/build up is even long strokes, best to practice on scrap.

But that's just a small bit of advice I can offer. Like I said check out some of the tutorial/build threads. Since Doc Kustom posted his threads are good to check out, especially his build threads
Ravevolution got some good points there. Before you primer/paint your body, you gotta wash it with soap and water. Use a tooth brush to help cleaning up the small areas like the grills, vents, diffuser, etc. Then you can dry it. I know some people suggest air dry it, but what I usually do is wipe it down with a clean cloths. That way is faster than air dry (Because I hate waiting ) also, sometimes when you let it air dry, there might be water marks left on the body when its dried. Once you got everything cleaned and dried, then you're good for painting.

As for the grill, there's no need to mask it off, because when you use primer, you only need to use a thin layer of primer, its to help you to see/fix up the rough surface you have on the body, primer coat doesn't have to be thick, so don't worry about loosing details on the grill or masking it off. Another thing about masking off the grill then primer the body is that, once you peel off the masking tape after you primed the body, you might see the mask line.

Hope those info above helps.