Thread: xmods,miniz
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Moddin'
Geez, Action B...you're just not getting it....
Trust me I understand. There is a difference between not understanding and not agreeing.

Quote:
Yes--getting near to the price of a mini-z by modding an XMOD to beat a stock Mini-Z is the point...it's not just about winning races, it's about being RESPONSIBLE for the improvements...getting there is half the fun.
I hope it's not just about winning races, because at a real 1/28 scale racing event, that won't happen. Though, the people that DO win them, do you think they haven't spent as much time as you on their Mini-Z? You think they didn't work hard to tune and build their car to be a winner?

Quote:
Here's a more concrete way of looking at it....

1. A guy buys a stock Mini-Z for $130

2. Another guy buys a stock EVO and puts in motor, FET, AWD, bearing, and suspension upgrades, does all the "free" mods mentioned in this thread and ends up spending the SAME $130 that the first guy spent.

3. According most, these two cars are now evenly matched...according to some, the "fully" modded XMOD will blow the doors off the stock Mini-Z.

4. The difference? The second guy has the satisfaction of being responsible for the improvements, of having the fun of putting in these upgrades. The first guy just opened the box and put batteries in FOR THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY. Maybe you don't agree, but it really is fun to do the tinkering. You said, "That's alot of work to put into an XMOD"...yes, it is! That's the point! Working on cars is FUN! I said it before, I'll say it again: "Getting there is half the fun."

Okay, I'm done now.
If in my lifetime, I was only going to spend $130 dollars on this hobby, I would quite possibly have an Xmod. I do think its fun to work on the cars.

However, this is a long term hobby for me, I'm going to be putting money in this little by little every month for entertainment purposes. My fascination is the competition. Really, you don't even know if your good unless you compete. Competition harbors skill, not only driving skill but car setup skills and maintenance skills. I want to show up to these races and have a challenge, A REAL challenge. I want to win! With an Xmod at a real 1/28 scale race, the mini-Zs aren't stock and I wouldn't have a chance at it.

So given the fact that I expect to be doing this over the long run, I'd save my 130 and buy a Z. Then I would, as you like to do, see how fast I can get the car to go versus what it started as, just in the end, I'll be a little poorer and a lot faster.