View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 09:15 PM
Rethink It All

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to RedSXmodder Send a message via MSN to RedSXmodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldfairy2 View Post
Very Nice write up red.

I just wish they would start making some of those special armatures again. there are hardly any left. I have 2 left un wound.

Take Time when winding. I am not an advanced winder but i can at least see a performance gain in my motors over the s2 and s1 motors. Spider v4s and the bug or stacked nellies are a great upgrade for motor winders, puts their abilities to the test.

Congrats on the truck armature man.

More to come.
As for the company that makes the custom armatures, its Auldey. Here's a link to their motor parts selection page. If you figure out a way to contact them, I'll give you a cookie
http://www.auldey.com/aulde/product/...ntCategoryID=2

Have you checked out my Pattern Winding tut? It may help you with your winding. Just remember, practice, practice practice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Great write up, it leaves me with my little winding experience nothing to add...LOL

In your first picture what is that armature way to the left for? Whats the balance on it?

Also i dont quite understand the turn placement part. If you place the turns farther to the outside of the poles isn't that all around better?

EDIT: Wait nevermind i dont know what i was thinking. rotational mass. Farther outside = more torque. Farther inside = Higher RPMS...
The armature is a homemade spiral armature. It spreads the coils out over the un-magnetized spots between the poles, increasing the magnetic field at the cost of RPM. I made mine by simply twisting the laminations on the armature's shaft.

Thanks for the comment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMDrifter View Post
nice.
but i'm one of those rare few who use almost exclusively sub 30t motors in my car and truck.
(27t Xtruck)
but this info is really good
i was just thinking of doing double wound armatures... i hear they are smoother.
i just can't find a good source of motor wire
all i can do is get RS magnet wire.
WOAH you're 15?
so am i!
anyways, how is it possible for you to fit so many winds on the bottom layer? i can only get 8-9 winds before i run out of space on the rotor.
I'm super excited to get these double armatures shipped out and tested! If you think 27t is crazy, try a 17x2! That'll knock yer sox off

I'm pretty much exclusively using RS wire ATM. It works great, is cheap, and looks good! However, I wish that they would make 28awg wire though. 26 works good, but its a smidge to big. I know that the Auldey page I posted previously has a bunch of silver coated wires that would be great!

Your 15 too? Oh the irony...lol.

When I wind, I wind on arms that have the resin shield instead of the white plastic ones. If they don't have the resin shield, I put a clear laquer over the tops of the poles to prevent shorting. Without these shields, you should be able to squeeze 10 and if your lucky 11 on the bottom row.

Thanks for the comment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-z drift View Post
Wow, that's supreme. Do you make 540 sized motors?
I would like to, but they is expenzive!!! Thanks for the comment, tho...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorton94 View Post
wow red, nice write up! i want to get into rewinding motors and ill keep this thread in mind.
No prob bud. See how that goes for you, and if you have questions, check the threads, or give me a shoutout!

Later,
RedSXmodder

Team Redmade Motors- Building Motors that rise above the rest!

Rethink It All