Thread: - Project R32 -
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 10:23 PM
aka xmod4life

Trader Rating: (9)
Send a message via AIM to Dr. Kustom Send a message via MSN to Dr. Kustom

Thanks guys! It was my first time attempting to restoring the Mini-Z windows.

Here's the steps on how I did it:

1.) Take the windows off the body carefully using a hobby knife to trim out the melted tabs that holds the windows in place.

2.) Once you got the windows out, wash it with water and soap, also use a tooth brush to help cleaning it. (You must wash it before start the sanding process, because you don't want to start sanding while there's dirt/dust on the windows, this will causes you windows to have deep scratches that are hard to get rid, because basically you are sanding the windows with the dirt/dust.)

3.) Now the sanding part. First you'll need to use 4 different grit of sandpapers that are made by 3M; included 400, 600, 1500 and 2000. In the windows restoring process, only sand the windows using wet sanding. This will help the windows to have a smoother surface compare to dry sanding. Start with 400 grit, then follow by 600 grit, then 1500 grit, and finally 2000 grit.

4.) After the wet sand is done, repeat step 2 again.

5.) Once the windows are cleaned. Then you can move on to the "polish" part. I used the rubbing compound that made by 3M. Apply a small drop of rubbing compound on the window, work on a small area at one time, then use a clean cloths to rub the rubbing compound in a circle motion till the compound starting to get dry, then use a clean side of cloths to repeat the step for about 2 times.

6.) Last, repeat step 2 again. Then wipe it down with a clean dry cloths. Then you will have a brand new windows for your Mini-Z.