View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (0)

I want to jump in on the whole German made car thing. Although I enjoy the aesthetics of some German made cars, VW Golf, classic BMWs (prior to the image change that made them look like Saturns), I would never own one as every single person I have know that has owned one has been nothing but trouble. Roughly 25+ cars...and all of them from brand new to a decade used has been rubbish save the classic VWs that were designed by Nazis. However rather than state a mere observation based on my second hand experience with friends and coworkers (which would undoubtedly be labeled as opinion rather than observation), I am providing some some links and information for you, that could be articulated with a simple google search as all information presented points in the same direction. I used the key terms "Least reliable automobile" so that I wouldn't bring up prejudice by searching by make.

Here is a link for the German fans to look over, dated material from 2007 including Most and Least reliable vehicles.

http://www.thesunsfinancialdiary.com...european-made/

No German Made car made it into the most reliable categories, however the various manufacturers did have a large showing the least reliable categories.

Another Article:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...y-findings.htm

"European brands continue to improve. Mercedes-Benz has made great strides, with most models average, and the GLK did exceptionally well in its first year. Scores from rival BMW were more mixed. The 535i sedan and X3 SUV declined in reliability, and the 135i, debuting in this survey, scored below-average. Some BMW models had average or better reliability, but the 328i versions are the only ones that we've tested and can recommend.

Volkswagen and Audi are staging a nice recovery. The Volkswagen Rabbit (Golf for 2010), and its new CC got top scores. The VW Jetta's recommendation now extends to the diesel version, making it the only diesel we currently recommend. Both the Passat and Audi A3 have improved to average. The new VW Tiguan SUV was average. The Audi Q7 SUV continues to be much worse than average, while the VW Touareg, which had the worst new car prediction score in the survey, is 27 times more likely to have a problem than the best, the Honda Insight.

All of Volvo's sedans were average or better, but Volvo's XC90 SUV was below average. Porsche, which has been doing quite well in our survey of late, had one serious hiccup this year: The Boxster dropped to below average, which strikes it from our recommended list. But the Cayenne SUV improved to average."