View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 12:14 PM
lets rocknrolla

Trader Rating: (0)

Oh, right on ; my bad man. I clicked on the link at the bottom of all the pics and it sent me to that channel on utube. I saw about all the vids there so I kinda assumed they were all yours; sorry bra.

Can you provide me with the link to your vids? I' appreciate it ha!

Well, gear ratios is actually pretty simple. a gear ratio is a comparison of one gear to another. GEAR RATIO by definition: is a numerical comparison of the number of revolutions (full turns) of the drive gear as compared to one revolution of the driven gear.

If you have two gears and one is half the size of the other; it means that the smaller gear would have to turn 2 revolutions (2 full turns) in order to move the bigger gear 1 revolution.

Gear reduction ratios are used to either increase torque or top speed trough out your power band. Same concept applies for anything that has gears and wheels on it; like xmods, etc..

If you look on the side where your motor is located, you'll see the pinion gear (spur gear) attached to the motor, then a freewheeling gear (the white fatty double sided gear) and then you have your differential (spur gear) underneath it all right?

Based on real mechanics, the kind of tranny found in the xmods is INDIRECT DRIVE which means that there is a freewheeling gear (a gear that moves freely on a shaft) in between the differential and the power output source (your motor with the little pinion gear on)

When you change the settings of your freewheeling gear and pinion gear (one on the motor); what you are doing is changing the gear reduction ratio of your final drive either to increase torque or increase top end.

On the GEN-1's this concept also applies but instead of changing the freewheeling and spur gear, you would have to change the bevel gear (color coded) and motor with the pinion gear that fist it.

EVO's car and truck are more mechanically oriented and they resemble more to the real deal.