View Single Post
Old 01-23-2008, 08:12 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)
Default fet

Do you or anyone have or know the fet's electrical schmatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX9RBART View Post
There seem to be so many questions about fets that i thought i would explain what they are and what they do. I'll try to make it make sense...let me know if it needs more.

Not copied or pasted, these are my words. Fets, or field effect transistors control the power that is put out to your motor. You can search for pics but they are easy to pick out...they are small black squares with 3 shiny terminal coming off of them soldered to the board, there are 2 of them. They are gated and pretty much controlled by a square wave (-_-_-_-_-_-) when turned on they allow current to flow and when turned off they stop said current. The frequency or amount of time they are on compared to off determines how much current is fed to the motor. The power that goes to the motor is therefore actually pulsed but at such a great speed that it becomes seamless. A stock fet can only handle so much current so stacking doubles the available current (does not however double speed). The same goes for larger or upgraded fets. This is a pretty general and low tech explanation but I feel it should answer most questions about fets and stop the endless questions about them.