View Single Post
Old 04-08-2007, 04:52 AM
All 6's and 7's

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via MSN to bondo

i wasnt going to go on a rant about this but just to state my position, paper towels are bad all the way around.
i wont even use them to clean my brushes simply because of the lint content.
your stencil material should be a solid, non porous,lint free material.
it should also )preferrably) be self adhering. you can see a few places on your black where the paper towel lifted the paint. this is most likely from the mask moving when you were spraying????

camo paint or not, it's always best to tooth the surface with at least 600g before your primer/basecoat.
it has nothing to do with the type/style of painting you intend on doing.
it's all about acheiving the maximum ammount of paint to surface grip as possible without leaving visible gouges/scratches.
and on that note:
enamel paint doesnt fisheye from temperature, it cracks and crazes.
fish eyes are caused from a lack of adhesion either due to non porous surface or oily residues often left by fingers.
with nothing for the paint to grip to, it pools back onto itself.

it's obvious that you did'nt "forget" about the lenses as you masked them.
people generally like to take the easy route and in doing so end up with a less then satisfactory paint job.
the most important thing to remember when painting is TAKE YOUR TIME.
i can knock out a single color paintjob in about 4 hours total time but it doesnt look as great as the ones that take 2 weeks.
when i accept a car for a repaint the client knows that it's going to be a good while before i send their cars back. i want their cars to be top notch and im not going to compromise time for an unsatisfactory paintjob.

as far as the camo goes, you need at least one other color on there for it to appear realistic.
double color camo's are fine as long as the colors mimic something.(desert storm trucks were 2 colors, tan and brown but they were mimicking sand)
with the colors you have,the only thing you would blend in with is a herd of cows.

now before you get deffensive and take my words the wrong way, you can rest assured that i've taken flack in almost all of my tutorials.
it's just the nature of the beast. everyone has their own way of doing things and an open platform to express these.i'm simply voicing mine.
the way it stands, this is a good tut for the basics of how camo should look and your methods are very clear with detailed pics but chances are, it wont be stickied.
here's why,
1. there's no finished product.
2. your process is flawed and the mods are looking for the best tuts for stickies.
3. it looks cheap and unrealistic.

take a look at XMODifications latest camo's.
he even stated himself that he's not a painter(could've fooled me) but he pulled off two of the best looking camo jobs ive seen with minimal cost.
he used multiple colors and made it look real.

soapbox mode off,
bondo