Thread: xmods,miniz
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 02:32 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Moddin' View Post
Geez, Action B...you're just not getting it....

Yes--getting near to the price of a mini-z by modding an XMOD to beat a stock Mini-Z is the point...it's not just about winning races, it's about being RESPONSIBLE for the improvements...getting there is half the fun.

Here's a more concrete way of looking at it...

1. A guy buys a stock Mini-Z for $130

2. Another guy buys a stock EVO and puts in motor, FET, AWD, bearing, and suspension upgrades, does all the "free" mods mentioned in this thread and ends up spending the SAME $130 that the first guy spent.

3. According most, these two cars are now evenly matched...according to some, the "fully" modded XMOD will blow the doors off the stock Mini-Z.

4. The difference? The second guy has the satisfaction of being responsible for the improvements, of having the fun of putting in these upgrades. The first guy just opened the box and put batteries in FOR THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY. Maybe you don't agree, but it really is fun to do the tinkering. You said, "That's alot of work to put into an XMOD"...yes, it is! That's the point! Working on cars is FUN! I said it before, I'll say it again: "Getting there is half the fun."

Okay, I'm done now.
I can see how you would like that.

Its fun to do that stuff, but for me the really fun part is the competition. Trying to tune the car to win, trying to find out any little way to get an edge on the other drivers. Competition harbors true skill. Even if I did build an xmod its not going to win any races, I'll never really know if my car setup is a winner, or if my driving is top notch. Bottom line, when you go to a 1/28 scale race, even if you could beat a couple stock Mini-Z, nobody will be using a stock one. Heck, my Z has everything in the book done to it and still I haven't actually won a race yet. There are still challenges out there for me, just now its in tuning and driving, not upgrades, I already have them all.

I've known people with your mentality before. They would rather buy slower real cars and do motor swaps or build turbo kits and I see where they are going and I know why they like it. In the end I'm practical and stubborn. Thats why when faced with the decision to turbo my non turbo eclipse or buy another car, I went out and bought the turbo all wheel drive model. With my real car, like the Z, the sky is the limit.