View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 11:05 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Funny mistake today. One of the annoying features of the GM 6 speeds (and everyone else who used the T56) is the Skip-Shift "feature", that when the engine has a light load and is under 20 mph it will force the 1-2 shift into 4th. This was done to avoid the gas guzzler tax as it raised the average fuel economy in EPA testing.. A solnoid blocks the gates for 2nd and third, and will unlock the gates after 20 mph or if you depress the clutch long enough.

Despite having the torque to usually get away with this, it's annoying as hell to lug the motor into 4th at 15-20 mph. I usually skip shift 1-3-5th anyhow.

The simple trick is to unplug the solenoid and place a resistor into the plug so that the computer still thinks that the solenoid is working (and doesn't throw a check engine light). Well, there were no good pictures or descriptions on which of the 2 solenoids on the side of the trans to do this trick to when I was looking at it this morning. So, I get home after morning classes, pull the plug closest to the shifter, put in the resistor, wrap it up and tuck it up out of the way. Being lazy, I didn't test drive it and napped until it was time for my afternoon class. Well, I goto put it in reverse and...

I pulled the reverse lock-out solenoid, not the skip shift solenoid. Reverse was locked! Can't get out of the driveway. So up goes the car, and I switch everything around to the forward most solenoid and get on my way. Problem solved! And a much more pleasant drive.

And, that redneck-as-**** skull shifter is gone. It was shockingly hard to find a non-ricey shift knob. Settled on this solid aluminum (Polished "chrome"), acorn shaped one, and painted it black for the time being. Comfortable, a little weighty, much improved over the awkard skull..

Fun car, nice 90mph cruiser, and a ridiculous good time at full throttle. (:<

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 04-11-2011 at 11:12 PM..