View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Today I sold the CRX. I'll be honest to say that the little beater **** box grew onto me over the past 3 months, and sold me on the fun to drive small car. It's honestly one of the best (none sports car) cars I've ever driven, mixing together an almost unbeatable combination of economy and driving joy. It's only foibles were it's age, and it's model for where I now live. The HF is just not the car for hill country. It's a perfect city car as I've learned this month, living in Austin. It's a perfect car for flat lands and running along the highway at 80mph (at 3100 rpm!) while still managing 36 mpg! But, when the elevation changes I'm left either gasping for more power, or wishing for more brakes. And, at 252,000 miles, I'm looking for something that's a little easier to work on for years to come.

Beyond that, tight and unassisted steering communicates everything to your hands, and is hardly a nuisance at low speeds. It's high up on my list of "good". After driving a few Miatas, as well as my new one I still almost prefer the cable clutch. The shifter is a bit long, but it matched the rather slow revving HF engine. And, most shockingly in all, the HF proved what Honda is capable of. I never gave it much thought, but the HF is a nice little torque machine for a 4 banger. Honda's intent with the 8 valve motor was to create a car that could hum around all day under 2000-3000 rpm, and after driving a few 4 banger cars, I almost miss it. It's nice putting it in third (4th gear for normal 5spds) and just putting the pedal down and letting it run on up at a rather solid pace. Rarely needed to shift! Being ridiculously light, it handled superbly, and that is what WILL eventually bring me back to these cars. Even the lowly HF was a total joy on the back roads after I threw on that sway bar. And, truly, this car is what converted me from the CAMAROS RULE ALL state of mind to appreciating a truly good handling car. Not always the most capable car, but leagues better than anything in it's price range, class, hell, anything from Honda since then. And ****, that hatch could carry an unholy amount of stuff, like an entire Si drivetrain! Probably what I'll miss most compared to the new car.

So, I'll be back some day. It will be fuel injected next time, I just can't live with a CVCC car being my DD. It's more of a practicality thing in the end, and wanting more than what the little guy can provide for me right now.

The new owner is a highly eccentric Austinite who defines the "Keep Austin Weird" motto. He can even shift with his feet! But, the CRX was one of his dream cars, and I let it goto him even though another person gave me a bit higher offer. It went so someone who would love it, rather than just use it.

The replacement cheap fun to drive and fuel efficient car is a clean '90 Miata. Don't knock it, it's cute as hell but proves to be one of the best little sports cars ever produced.

HAY BOYS[/I]

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 09-02-2010 at 12:03 AM..