View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010, 12:03 PM
lets rocknrolla

Trader Rating: (0)

It's happened to me before too ha! I'm sure they'll come out good but will peel eventually, almost right away.

Vinyl dying is a much better method; actually; the plastic the wheels are made of is clear and it has a top coat of whatever color right.. sand that color off or remove it with nail polish (be careful and do not apply too much at once; instead; apply several thin *rubbing coats to get that top coat off and then get to the clear plastic. By using nail polish you also get that "wet" look or finish on your wheels, not the faded out finish from sanding.

Clear plastic can be dyed any color, either using vynil or vegetable dyes (vinyl is way better). I do this A LOT to tint my helmet visors and the windshield of my bike.

What you do is heat up some water with whatever dye of your liking mixed with it; when the water is few degrees below boiling point drop the clear plastic parts into the water *make sure they're suspended with something; wrap a thin wire coil around or through the wheel and let it sit suspended in water while the water is boiling; this will start dying your wheels/clear plastic parts.

You can control how "dark/clear" your parts come out by timing how long they stay submerged in water.

*the more time they remain in the boiling dye, the more darker/full color (saturation) you'll get.

On my visors I use this method to go from light tints to almost smoked out effects. It also works great on headlights, taillights, anythings that's clear plastic actually.