View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 07:39 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITT222 View Post
Why dont you go for discs? Better braking power means you can hold the throttle for longer. Is this your final axle or did I miss anything because I'm being a bit lazy at the moment?
Don't have the time or money to put in disks. It's not a bolt on affair, and I'm keeping 6 lugs at the moment and there's no real disk options for 6 lug rears. Though, now that it's a GM 12 bolt, it will take nothing to swap on 5 lug axles shafts, and 5 lug front rotors later on. To my knowledge, there's no parts swapping to get 5 lugs on the Dana axle, with out going aftermakret/$$$. In the end for a street truck, there's little reason for them. I've got plenty of whoah with 12in front disks, now it's time for GO!

The axle is in, and everything but the drive shaft and panhard are hooked up. I didn't think about this in retrospect, but the D60 is technically a 3/4-1 ton axle, and it had the heavy duty drive shaft accordingly. So when it came time to bolt on the driveshaft, U-Joint was too big!!! Gotta two-sized u-join (again, Napa, you kick *** at finding this, they're **** hard to find) that adapts the 3/4 ton drive shaft to the 12 bolt (which is the strongest GM axle from the time, funny). Haven't put it in yet, but will tomorrow night when I get back home.

Pan hard bar won't line up with the new axle, the stud on the axle isn't long enough, and the pahard is too far towards the rear. Will have something rigged up tomorrow, trying to hunt down a different sized stud tonight.

Should be back in bidness tomorrow.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 02-13-2010 at 07:45 PM..