View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 11:32 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)
Default Best album of 2009?

Well, I was doing some thinking tonight while looking up live performances on youtube, and figured I'd ask around and get peoples personal opinions on which album they thought should be the top album of the year. Everytime I see lists pertaining to that, I always see the same mainstream pop bs. I'm looking for real bands. Real talent. Real people.

My pick:

Abney Park's "Aether Shanties."

Although the album has only been out for a couple of months, I'm still blown away by it. Abney Park is truly a great band, who deserves more recognition than what they get. Even after six albums, the band still sticks to their original sound, without selling out. They are honestly in it for the music and their fans. The music itself is so immensely complex, you find something different every time you listen. The album is a perfect blend of old and new. The odd instrumentation (Vocals, Darbuka, Accordian, Hamonica, Electric, Acoustic and Bass Guitar, Violin, Mandolin, Bouzouki, Keyboard, and Trombone) somehow play in perfect harmony (Or disharmony, when applicable, lol) I suppose you need to understand the concept of "steampunk" to understand why the blend of old and new exists. The Victorian-era inspired melodies playing against a backdrop of modern synth, guitar and driving bass make this one hell of an album.

Well, that is both my opinion and reasoning. Let me hear what you guys have to say!

(P.S. I would've voted for Streetlight Manifesto's "99 Songs of Revolution" which was supposed to be released earlier this year, but is currently being withheld by Victory Records.)

(P.S.S. If any of this seems confusing or even rambling, I apologize in advance. I am quite tired, and will attempt to revise any problems tomorrow...)