View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 928shifty View Post
if you would get online! the GT-R is a SKYLINE! they cant tecnically call it a skyline because they are banned in the US. i know of one person that has an actual skyline r-34. the only way he got it to the US is because he is in the military. and got his from japan.

so before you get on to forums and post crap like that please do some research and figure out what you are talking about before you ASSUME stuff please. it saves you from looking stupid. just like in this case
You really aught to eat your own words. They can call it what ever they want. The name is not banned the car was banned due to the fact that it did not meet US Safety and Emissions regulations. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog25413 View Post
Also the name is not the reason the skylines are banned in the states its due to the speed potential of the car that the US banned the car in thoughts of the street racing growing back when the skylines were being produced.
No, it had to do with safety and emissions regulations. The US has never banned a car of any types due to performance. Otherwise we would not have a class in drag racing that allows street legal cars with over 1000-2000 horse power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineLvr View Post
You don't have to be in the military to get one. You just need the right amount of money and know the right company to bring it to the states and modify it to be street legal here in the states. My father-in-law's best friend brought an R-33 back. The company that was bringing it over was shaddy and had legal problems. His car sat in a storage lot for about a year. He ended up driving down there with a trailer and brought it back to WA and did all the modifications himself.

My father-in-law brought up a good point about why the Skyline was never allowed in the states. His theory is that the "Big 3" wouldn't allow it. They would have a hard time competing with a foreign car that had the style and specs of the SKyline. Which would you prefer? A Mustang, Camero, or a Skyline?
They cannot be imported as a car, otherwise the tarrifs and customs become a major headache. They come to the US with the motor and drivetrain removed from the car, and shipped separately (Much like the Benz Sprinter vans). This is why it is time consuming and expensive to bring them here. Then comes the trouble of getting them road legal. Most US-skylines you see most likely are not 100% street legal.

And your father in law is just being silly. The Skyline could not meet the same safety and emissions standards as the Camaro, Mustang, 300ZX, Supra, etc etc. It was Nissan's own lazyness to create a US version that prevented it from being sold here.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere