View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 05:29 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (1)

I don't have an antenna announcing my location to the world.

Text update-- I may have figured out how to do 1/28 RWD drifting properly.

The key I found tonight was to adjust the Throttle Speed setting on the radio. Basically, reducing the throttle "spiking" that results from blipping the throttle. The EX-1 UR has very quick response, so blipping the throttle makes the car really unstable. But with Throttle Speed turned down to 20% of max speed, blipping the throttle is much more like blipping the throttle in a real car. So I can actually control this thing reasonably well now, despite the rear tires rubbing and whatnot.

Few issues I need to resolve: 1) the ceramic balls make this diff TOO free, I can't make the diff action any stiffer without damaging my diff plates, lol. I will need to find some Vaseline to grease it up and make it stickier. Locked diff is very effective at combating mid-corner spinouts, thus the grease.

2) Bearings still have not arrived yet, so I'm still rubbing tires and generally the car catches on the carpet a lot.

3) Had to use the hard T-plate to keep the tires from rubbing the body too much, but hard T-plate means very low rear grip! As soon as I resolve the rubbing issue I will switch to the soft T-plate, and possibly add an oil damper to keep the rear end from sagging too much.

4) Front grip is still too much, so I have busted out my favorite lubricant: Kyosho fluorine kingpin oil. It's drying on the front tires now, I'll test it out over the weekend.

So yeah, between the mechanical tweaks and radio tweaks I think I'm pretty close to success. My rear tires are working pretty well (may need to treat with WD40 again for grip on tile surfaces) and after figuring out the Throttle Speed trick, I can consistently hold short slides on the crappy carpet in my room. So taking the car out to the tile floor should be a straightforward process. If I succeed there'll be videos for sure!