View Single Post
Old 05-31-2009, 06:58 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (1)

Skv sounds bitter, lol....

I believe in years past there was an Xmod driver who was so phenomenal his Gen 1 Xmod made it to the #22 spot on the overall HFAY rankings list -- beating out the vast majority of MR02's, MR015's and MA010's.

Then there was Gasman who was consistently the fastest guy in HFAY for a few years... with an old-school MR01.

Most people drive MR02's because it's a more versatile car that requires less setup to get in the general ballpark for both HFAY tracks and large racing tracks. But for HFAY, speeds are low and precision is high -- it's ALL about the driver, very little about the car.

An Xmod-only HFAY is a wonderful idea, but as mentioned in this thread already, the costs have to be brought WAY down. Wal-mart foam tiles are decent if you want a standardized racing surface, but then you'd have to standardize some rails too. Maybe PVC pipe, since those are readily available and easy to cut to specified dimensions. Then you can even specify where to put the duct tape so as to make the tracks as identical as possible for every participant.

The Microsizers lap counter is an excellent piece of kit as far as my forum-research suggests. Good investment for less than $30.

I think it'd be a good idea to allow any internal FETs (chip replacement) for a Stock class, and any-FETs-go for Mod (that would include Nellies and Spiders).

And as for chassis mods... these are Xmods after all, if I were to make the rules I'd encourage massive chassis modding, so long as the thing still remains an Xmod at its core (swapping an Mini-Z drivetrain into the car should probably be outlawed).

Done right, I think an Xmod HFAY could keep the cars alive for another year or two, but given that the series is on the decline I do wonder if we would have enough interest to do it right. A dorm-mate of mine has a Gen 1 Xmod, so between him and me we might have two occasional HFAY participants over the summer.