Thread: xmods,miniz
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2009, 09:37 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco72 View Post
I have a Q. take out the electronics in both cars.Just look at the lay out of the chassis which one do you think has a better lay out.
I'm assuming your reffering to the AWD model, so I will compare Xmod evo and MA-010.

Well, there is a couple things to be said about the chassis layout. Certainly the weak point of the MA-010 is the fact that its weight is not well balanced, and has a higher center of gravity when compared to the Xmod evo.

Motor placement in the Xmods evo is not so good, there is no airflow to the motor for heat dissipation. Mini-Z motor, especially with heat sink has constant airflow and much better dissipation

As expected from the Zs, the Mini-Z is for the most part trackside friendly. The board is easy to get to for adjustment, steering rod is held in by a single clip and also the motor is just a clip as well. These make minor adjustments on track day pretty simple, as long as you don't have to get into the servo which I don't even want to talk about right now . The battery compartment is designed for easy pry out of the batteries. Xmod is less trackside friendly with the exception of the xmod evolution battery compartment, which are easier to remove.

Then I'd look at the rolling chassis, In awd form the Xmod evo has too much rotational mass. The driveshaft is a great magnitude larger than could ever be necessary, while the mini-z is much more lightweight. In fact, the entire car is considerably lighter I think. I don't have a scale but Ive held both in my hand and I think the Xmod needs to go on a diet. Of course theres slop in the xmod, i'm sure you've heard that a lot. This slop results in power loss due to vibrational and frictional loss.

If we could combine the chassis, that'd be pretty rad.

MA-010 motor heat dissipation
MA-010 trackside modularity(maybe i made that word up)
Xmod evo low center of gravity
Xmod evo chassis balance

That'd look pretty good. HERE is a thread from another forum aimed at making the ultimate 1/28 scale chassis.