View Single Post
Old 12-25-2008, 02:52 PM
Working Class Hero

Trader Rating: (32)
Send a message via MSN to TripleXmodder(akaXXX)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Moddin' View Post
Between XXX, XMDrifter, and Breitling, I am completely awed at what can be done to these cars!

I have a million questions, but will limit mine to 4 or 5 for now:

1. What on God's Green Earth is an ESC? Does it work like an MOSFET for the motor?

2. XXX--once you're done modding this car, is it forever destined to be a dragster? I mean, if you leave it the way you've modded it, can you still drive it as a regular car? Will its bottom speed still be too high to take turns?

3. Breitling--phenomenal demonstration of electronic know-how, and I've only seen two of your threads so far! Are you an engineer by trade? Could you point me in the direction of a good tutorial to get me up-to-speed with the kind of modding you do?

4. I have a hard time believing once an XMOD is modded with things like Li-Po, or after-market motors and MOSFETs that it can handle circuit-racing. Do the suspension upgrades provide adequate compensation in the corners? Doesn't a driver end up slamming into the guard-rail alot with these mods? Or rolling over?

I know Q#4 paints me as very skeptical--what can I say? I am. I'd be glad to be "converted by a true believer" if anyone can tell me their experience in drifting and circuit racing.

Props to the bigguns,

--Doc
1. An ESC is an Electronic Speed Control. It is part of a brushless system and is the main electronics paired with a reciever. Also A BEC is a Battery Elimination Circuit, which allows you to run higher voltage main battery packs, up to 26.4 Volts (4-22 Ni-MH Cells or 2-7 Li-Po), and regulates output to 6 Volts/3Amps to provide consistent power to your electronics throughout the charge. This will allow the motor to get a full 11volts from my 3 lithiums and the servo only 6volts (because it can only handle up to 9volts)

2. This car will be destined (for the most part) to be a drag car. I could later remove the electronics and and reinstall the xmod PCB or a Mini-Z PCB and drop the 3 liths to 2 liths or 4 nimah AAA's. However since I had to cut the front end servo casing up to fit the micro servo in there I would have to change out the front end. ........ SO.... This will forever be a drag car.

3. Every Mod is different and is done for some particular reason. TRYING to make a specific design for a particular objective is what I love about modding with Xmods. They are cheap enough that you don't have to feel to bad about chopping them up.
First off I don't think anyone would really use an XMOD (as much as a Mini-Z) for real serious circuit racing. Unless they are running them together in an Xmod club. These mods you see here are not designed for circuit racing (dragster) You can build a nice circuit Xmod but it wouldn't be as fun of a build. Meaning there are specific parts you can order and you have your circuit car, not really much modding involved. A nice circuit car would probably have some specific alloy upgrades a motor upgrade and wiring, a stilletto (or comparable) chassis, good wheels and tires. I have seen people, and Im not to bad myself with controlling a Lithium car around a track but it isnt done to much for a real circuit car. You definatly can build a good controlable Lith car regardless what you here. Just keep the CG low and keep the mods to a minimum and gear ratios are important. My XXXRay is VERY fast and I can control it very well, but it is very low and the body is lexan so it has not very much wieght on top. Lexan is a must for a good lith circuit car because you aren't adding any top wieght and your CG stays very low. Also spacing your wheels out a bit helps alot.

*** I hope that answers some questions. Feel free to ask more, I am always asking questions.