Thread: JunkBird
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to greenday Send a message via Yahoo to greenday
Default JunkBird

::: Wow...It's been a while since I last posted in here!

But, it's good to be able to. I recently completed a cool (in my opinion) project that I don't think anyone else has ever done. My friend's Firebird, (the one I showed you guys a little while ago) had some steering issues. I was kind of surprised to see that the car had gotten many more scratches and nicks than I had originally thought. So, while getting the steering straightened out, (pardon the pun) I persuaded him to let me paint the car. At first he wanted a glossy yellow, but gloss paints are hard to apply in the cold. Then, we went for flat black, but that wasn't really getting it for him. What happened next was very odd. One of us thought, let's do it [I]junkyard style[I] The idea was genius! The car would have rust, mismatched body panels, primer, and more. So, to the internet I went, searching for a means of artificial weathering. I found that and more. It turns out that someone actually takes 1/18 scale die-cast models and makes them into "Junkyard Jewels". The name of the website is www.JunkyardJewels.com, if you want to take a look. So, off to work I went, gathering materials, making "rust" masking, painting, all that fun stuff. When all was said and done, I was really pleased, and I think he'll love it. What do you guys think? (It was later decided that it would be in the "restore" phase...)

Before:

After:

I used a sedimentary rock, water, and some acryllic paint to make the rust. I accidentaly lost some of the headlight lenses, but then when does a 'yard car have all it's parts?