View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 08:24 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
In my opinion this all depends on the type of plane used on the "conveyor belt" runway. A propeller powered airplane (take a Cessna 172 for instance) where the propeller is positioned on the front of the plane creates enough wind force to flow over and under the wings to create lift causing this to be possible (as proven by MythBusters). However, in most typical jets (take a Boeing 747 for instance) the propulsion system is located beneath, and often behind, the wing. Since the propulsion system is located beneath, and often behind the wing, no air is moving over and under the wing to create lift causing the plane to remain grounded and motionless.

Truthfully this is just my theory. I've heard this story time and time again out at the field but never has it been discussed in such a manner where it seems logical for any plane to take off from a, for lack of a better term, "reversible," tarmac; nor can any one of our members prove or disprove anyone else's opinion/theory.
It's kind of a trick question. the plane moves by thrust (regardless of its position) forward through the air creating the needed lift, the trick part is that the conveyor is irrelevant... all it is doing is turning the wheels and has no impact on flight. When I first thought of it I imagined the plane sitting still when in fact it would move forward on the treadmill until proper flight speed is reached, the treadmill could go 5000 mph in reverse and it wouldnt matter.The fact is that the plane is in no way stationary and free to move forward.

Last edited by BART; 10-14-2008 at 08:27 PM..