View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheB1GDude View Post
Wow 2000 thats crazy!!

I was reading online that they recommend that every so often you disconnect the battery for the 20 minutes, reconnect (at which point the horn beeps to indicate learning mode) and then drive it around, this will typically improve your performance..... but 2000 for the GT500 is crazy!!
It's sorta true in some sense, and this goes back to when guys 1st started hot rodding with EFI cars in the 90s. When the Impala got the LT1, it was heaven. One of the 1st mods was to replace the MAF/MAP sensor to trick the ECU into providing different fuel settings, that produced more horse power. You can still buy performance sensors, but their BS for all the same reasons. When you 1st put in the sensor, the ECU does indeed change parameters and does boost power for a short period. But soon guys realized that the car eventually lost the power gain it had. Why? ECU's are smart mofo's. Taking the many other sensors into account, it's able to balance out the modded MAP/MAF readings and return itself back to normal, IE stock.

So that's where resetting the ECU can get you a short term power gain after it tunes itself after a reset, but also you can see where it starts to loose that power gain as it learns different things about the engine.

Another interesting thing about ECU's and their long term memory is long term performance. Lets say hypothetically you had two exactly identical cars roll off the assembly line. Realistically, impossible of course, but for the sake of argument, their **** twins. One car is given to a grandmother, that drives as such. The other is given to someone who races the car often, and drives it hard. After a few months, even a year, the two ECU's will become totally different, adapting to their driving conditions. The car that was driven like it was stolen will actually produce more horse power on the dyno then the car that was driven like a grandmother all it's life.

Computers are funny things. Which is why I like Caruburetors.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere